Options

Freeview adverts

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Over at my friend yesterday and saw a advert fro Freeview, we was not watchign the TV, but her Daughter was.
Why do they need to advertise? Since most would have freeview anyway, if they watch it or not is different thing, but it is country wide now.
Seems a waste of money and I wonder whose money they are wasting.

Comments

• Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    The objective is to dissuade people from paying blood money to Sky and Virgin for programmes they can already get for free.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    The objective is to dissuade people from paying blood money to Sky and Virgin for programmes they can already get for free.

Yes, don't they claim that 95% of the most popular programmes are available for free on Freeview.

Not sure which are not, may be Premier League, US imports on Sky One/Atlantic and Universal maybe?
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    Yes, don't they claim that 95% of the most popular programmes are available for free on Freeview.

Not sure which are not, may be Premier League, US imports on Sky One/Atlantic and Universal maybe?

And most of those are available via streaming devices without paying a permanent subscription although not necessarily 'free'.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it's as low as 95% actually. Re access through streaming devices, I have just reactivated my Now TV entertainment pass for two months to watch the one programme I am interested in that is not on Freeview, namely Mad Men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »

I still see it as a waste of money, freeview is here it is not going away, most people was forced to go for freeview when they switched of analogue, so why advertise it now?

Freesat I can understand as there are less people using it and a lot of people do not realise they can get it. I do not know if freesat advertise or not. But Freeview, if you do not have Sky or virgin, you already have it. Well most people do now unless they have a old TV and then need a box to use it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Popular programmes is crap like Xfactor, the voice, and stuff like that. do not forget the multitude of soaps.