Xbox 'disc is unreadable'

Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
Forum Member
My 360 is having trouble reading the games I got for Christmas.

It was working fine on Christmas Eve when I played Alan Wake, Dead Rising 2 and Tekken 6 no problem.

This morning inserted COD:Black Ops and I get the disc is unreadable message. The disc is not scratched, is clean and it also will has trouble reading my Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Disc that I got as well.

Occaiosnally 9very ocassionally) I can play these two games. I insert them , it starts to load up for and then I get the message without being able to play the game.

I tried playing Tekken 6 and that worked no problem even playing online.

My 360 is 366 days old. (Got it last year for Christmas) so and is the 120gb elite , a newer model.

I don't expect something I paid so much for to break after one year's use (and I defintely don't play it that much. I don't take it to uni, so only play it on Xmas, easter and Summer hols and when I come home for a weekend)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I have the same model and i had that problem a few months after i bought it. Turned out it was a disc drive problem so i sent it off to be replaced.
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    S.P.I.K.E. wrote: »
    I have the same model and i had that problem a few months after i bought it. Turned out it was a disc drive problem so i sent it off to be replaced.

Did they charge you for it?
    Forum Member
    Did they charge you for it?

I was in warranty so no
    Forum Member
    Cool. I just registered my Xbox online and it's still in its warranty until March so that's a slight relief.

How long was the turnaround till you got new one? Sorry for all the questions, just think MIcrosoft are so disgustingly cheeky sending out faulty products.
    Forum Member
    Cool. I just registered my Xbox online and it's still in its warranty until March so that's a slight relief.

How long was the turnaround till you got new one? Sorry for all the questions, just think MIcrosoft are so disgustingly cheeky sending out faulty products.

If its lasted a year its not really faulty, disc drives can go funny... it took them about a week, they pick it up then they deliver it back.
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    I had same problem after using it for one year

Tried all my games and it wouldn't read any of them

Cured it myself by re-formatting HDD

Think it was caused when I shut Xbox down whilst it was writing to HDD

Of course it wiped out all my game saves and I had to start over but at least it was back up and running normally
  • xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a sign off your dvd drive dieing. Just phone microsoft up and get them to replace it.
    Forum Member
    xmodz10 wrote: »
    Its a sign off your dvd drive dieing. Just phone microsoft up and get them to replace it.

or..................................
    JethroUK wrote: »

Of course it wiped out all my game saves and I had to start over but at least it was back up and running normally
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I always install the games I use the most to the HD so the disc drive only mainly gets used for installing and checking the disc.
    Forum Member
    I think i've narrowd it down to the hdd havng problems.

When I play games wth no hdd in, it works.

Interestingly since COD and AC and all the old games are now working ..... unless I install them.

When installed to the hdd i get the disc read error.

But if I then delete it and just play it by the disc it works ok :confused:
    Forum Member
    I think i've narrowd it down to the hdd havng problems.

When I play games wth no hdd in, it works.

Interestingly since COD and AC and all the old games are now working ..... unless I install them.

When installed to the hdd i get the disc read error.

But if I then delete it and just play it by the disc it works ok :confused:
    JethroUK wrote: »

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy 'old style' 250gb 360 hard disks on ebay for under £40..

Sorted, and cheaply ;-)