I cannot wait for this :D

Comments

• Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,823
    Forum Member
    Got a start date yet?
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    21st January at 9pm, I expect this will be a hit for BBC Two judging from the success of the books and the recent stage adaptation. The cast is very strong especially Mark Rylance who doesn't do much television but is a fantastic actor.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    I cannot wait for this :D

Me too!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a piece in the paper with Lucy Worsley talking about it, she was very critical of the previous The Tudors series. They are trying to make this one more accurate.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    21st January at 9pm

Oo - hadn't seen a date for it - cool! I'm also very much looking forward to this. Should be good with Mark Rylance and Damian Lewis. Will be interested to see how they've adapted the book.
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    21st January at 9pm, I expect this will be a hit for BBC Two judging from the success of the books and the recent stage adaptation. The cast is very strong especially Mark Rylance who doesn't do much television but is a fantastic actor.

What a great birthday present - Yay! :D

Except I'm away on holiday so will have to record it - Boo! :(
    lundavra wrote: »
    There was a piece in the paper with Lucy Worsley talking about it, she was very critical of the previous The Tudors series. They are trying to make this one more accurate.

Surely they're not remotely comparable. The Tudors was hardly meant to be a faithful representation of Tudor England . . . was it? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »

Surely they're not remotely comparable. The Tudors was hardly meant to be a faithful representation of Tudor England . . . was it? :D

The Tudors was meant to be a historical soap, not a documentary, it was fun for what it was but anyone watching for historical accuracy was really not watching the right programme.
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,823
    Forum Member

Cheers bubba.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tudors was meant to be a historical soap, not a documentary, it was fun for what it was but anyone watching for historical accuracy was really not watching the right programme.

But you do expect a historical drama to bear some resemblance to history. If someone wants to make a fantasy drama then they can use completely fictional characters.
  • Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a supernatural bent in this - I am just guessing from the title?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had been looking forward to it - the books are superb.
    Then I saw the trailer ..........
    speaking in a loud husky deep whisper.
    Ruined.
    Who the **** talks like that except actors when they actorise?
    Use your bloody voices!
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a supernatural bent in this - I am just guessing from the title?

No, there isn't a supernatural bent.

Wolf Hall (or Wulfhall) was the name of a manor in Wiltshire, home of the Seymour family.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the one hand I'm really looking forward to BBC's adaptation, but on the other hand I have some reservations. I'm not 100% sure about some of the casting, and the TV trailer I've seen didn't set my mind at peace.

For me, Mark Rylance is an unknown entity. He may be a great actor (I wouldn't know as he's done so little screen work, but he is certainly very highly rated for his stage work) but he doesn't resemble Cromwell as I imagine him (based on Holbein's paintings and the physical descriptions of Cromwell contained within Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies). He seems quite small, slight, and unassuming whereas I understand Cromwell was a physically imposing presence.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Cromwell,Thomas(1EEssex)01.jpg

Similarly, Jonathan Pryce is a very good actor, but he didn't immediately spring to my mind as the first choice to play Thomas Wolsey (who was famously obese) ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Cardinal_Wolsey_Christ_Church.jpg

That said, Damian Lewis does seem like a good fit for Henry.

I hope that my reservations about some of the casting prove to be unfounded, and the TV series does the books justice. The trailer seems quite dry, but my memory of the books is that they were surprisingly full of humour.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also got reservations about the casting of Cromwell. I was taken aback when they originally said it would be Mark Rylance The books make clear that Cromwell is a short, muscular bruiser with hard eyes who easily intimidates people. His face gives away very little, and he works on that. Rylance is slight and thin, with big eyes and a quiet voice, and is very expressive. I just don't see it.

I'm also a bit apprehensive about the costumes. From the clips and stills I've seen, the costumes look not to be very well-fitted, and frankly a bit am-dram.

I'm worried.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I've also got reservations about the casting of Cromwell. I was taken aback when they originally said it would be Mark Rylance The books make clear that Cromwell is a short, muscular bruiser with hard eyes who easily intimidates people. His face gives away very little, and he works on that. Rylance is slight and thin, with big eyes and a quiet voice, and is very expressive. I just don't see it.

I'm also a bit apprehensive about the costumes. From the clips and stills I've seen, the costumes look not to be very well-fitted, and frankly a bit am-dram.

I'm worried.

I agree that Mark Rylance, physically, doesn't fit the role Cromwell. There must surely be actors who can look as well as act the part?

I sort of see what you mean about the costumes, except it might be they are more authentic than usually seen on tv shows? Without patterns or machines, clothes were not well made or fitted in those days, and even royalty tended to have hand-me-downs.
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this.

Also on BBC2 tonight is The Last Days of Anne Boleyn.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RyJa wrote: »
    Looking forward to this.

Also on BBC2 tonight is The Last Days of Anne Boleyn.

And something later on with Lucy Worsley and David Starkey (who I don't like so probably won't watch it) re. the 500th anniversary of Hampton Court Palace.
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a Tudor Themed night on BBC2 because The Other Boleyn Girl is in as well (being a Tudor nerd its a heavenly night of viewing for me!!!)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

From the clips I've seen, Rylance is woefully miscast as Cromwell. He would be better suited as Thomas More. Cromwell was physically quite different to Rylance. He was stocky and a real biffer. He came from the lower-middle classes of Putney and his presence at court was regarded as outrageous amongst the other courtiers. Yet we see Rylance with a simpering, perfect English accent and looking like any other member of the Henrician court.

Cromwell's physical and social difference is a major part of his story and yet that seems to have been glossed over by casting Rylance (although it was highlighted by Mantel).
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Tudor nerd here,

I don't normally go for historical fiction but Wolf Hall books got such great reviews I succumbed. I have only started but I am enjoying it.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    And something later on with Lucy Worsley and David Starkey (who I don't like so probably won't watch it) re. the 500th anniversary of Hampton Court Palace.
    Must be worth watching to see the two knock sparks off each other (they have had their disagreements in the past).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Must be worth watching to see the two knock sparks off each other (they have had their disagreements in the past).

There was an article in the paper, they have made up and got on fine.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the actors they cast in 'The Last Days of Anne Boleyn' looked pretty close to Mantel's descriptions.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That won't stop people thinking it was accurate.

Loved Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies .. hope the adaptations are faithful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the clips I've seen, Rylance is woefully miscast as Cromwell. He would be better suited as Thomas More. Cromwell was physically quite different to Rylance. He was stocky and a real biffer. He came from the lower-middle classes of Putney and his presence at court was regarded as outrageous amongst the other courtiers. Yet we see Rylance with a simpering, perfect English accent and looking like any other member of the Henrician court.

Cromwell's physical and social difference is a major part of his story and yet that seems to have been glossed over by casting Rylance (although it was highlighted by Mantel).

Im waiting until the first episode because clips are always out of context.

Ben Miles who played Cromwell in the stage adaptation of Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies also doesn't look anything like the painting or the description in the books but he was very good in the role so I'm very hopeful that Mark Rylance is able to do the same, I'm not as hung up on the physicality because film and TV adaptation of books often don't fit the description in the books.