Options

misleading film posters

Comments

• Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alien. The image of the pod does not delineate how the alien is actually spawned.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So...what exactly did you think the title meant then?

Does Kramer vs Kramer sound like a love story to you?

The thread is about film posters, not titles. A versus in the title need not necessarily imply drama, it's about context. In KvK we have a poster with the portrait of a happy loving couple with their child in the middle. A versus in the title in the context of that poster could quite reasonably be implying, say, a lighthearted film about the ups and downs of everyday family life.

Do you always take film titles literally? :confused:
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Alien. The image of the pod does not delineate how the alien is actually spawned.
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The Happening
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Do you always take film titles literally? :confused:
    I think some people are still taking the imagery too literally and seeing that as the context. Film posters have always taken visual aspects from the film and used them to create an image that clearly represents what to expect, rather than the actuality. As long as the image gives the right impression there's no misleading. The trick lies in making the image not literal but relevant, and making sure the people acknowledge this when viewing the poster.

The Kong poster is trying to be representative, for instance (it looks like early concept art used as adwork), but it simply looks too literal, as if that particular moment will appear in the film - yet so many specific aspects of it are just wrong. The Alien poster is obviously representative, and while that moment in The Happening might not actually happen, it still gives a fairly good idea of what it's about in its filtered, stylized way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people are still taking the imagery too literally and seeing that as the context. Film posters have always taken visual aspects from the film and used them to create an image that clearly represents what to expect, rather than the actuality. As long as the image gives the right impression there's no misleading. The trick lies in making the image not literal but relevant, and making sure the people acknowledge this when viewing the poster.

The Kong poster is trying to be representative, for instance (it looks like early concept art used as adwork), but it simply looks too literal, as if that particular moment will appear in the film - yet so many specific aspects of it are just wrong. The Alien poster is obviously representative, and while that moment in The Happening might not actually happen, it still gives a fairly good idea of what it's about in its filtered, stylized way.[/QUOTE]

Now your stretching it....nothing about The Happening poster gives a good idea of what the film is about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now your stretching it....nothing about The Happening poster gives a good idea of what the film is about.
    It could be contested I suppose. But the partly warped image tells something odd has happened to empty the streets, and some sort of struggle for survival ensues for a small unit of people. A bit obscure on the actual details of 'The Happening' of course (which gives it a bit of mystery to hopefully entice - it's a Shymalan film after all), but not misleading in the sense of misdirection.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being There(1979). Shows Peter Sellers levitating(?) he does walk on water at the end but i cant remember the levitation image. I only remembered this after seeing the clip of Michael Keaton levitating in Birdman, i actually wonder whether the levitation is a reference to the image of Peter Sellers in Being There.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...aaaand again, the Being There image is in no way misleading
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The posters for Airplane http://www.movie-poster-artwork-finder.com/posters/airplane-poster-artwork-robert-hays-julie-hagerty-kareem-abdul-jabbar.jpg
    and The Naked Gun http://images.moviepostershop.com/the-naked-gun-movie-poster-1988-1020469010.jpg
    are both misleading as neither scenes happened in the film. I am deeply outraged at this blatant fraud by the filmmakers and demand a refund and full apology. :)
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The posters for Airplane http://www.movie-poster-artwork-finder.com/posters/airplane-poster-artwork-robert-hays-julie-hagerty-kareem-abdul-jabbar.jpg
    and The Naked Gun http://images.moviepostershop.com/the-naked-gun-movie-poster-1988-1020469010.jpg
    are both misleading as neither scenes happened in the film. I am deeply outraged at this blatant fraud by the filmmakers and demand a refund and full apology. :)

Very good
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't find the film poster, but this VHS cover should give you an idea of what it was like. The Legend of Billie Jean poster gave an impression it'd be an action-packed near-future thriller. It wasn't.

A childhood friend and I bribed her older brother to rent Blow Out on VHS for us after we saw film posters all over tube stations a year earlier. A stark black poster with the face of John Travolta screaming gave an impression it was a scary horror film. It wasn't.

Two school friends spotted several posters of White Nights in a tube station. They talked us into going with them to see what they thought a martial arts film after school. None of us heard of Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines so we went in blind. We never forget their names since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Two school friends spotted several posters of White Nights in a tube station. They talked us into going with them to see what they thought a martial arts film after school. None of us heard of Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines so we went in blind. We never forget their names since.
    You do have a point, but were leg warmers really de rigueur for martial arts in the 80s?

Maybe they were all rocking the 'Fame' look back then ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/25/4e/6d/254e6dc1a1b4f8dff82b208dd722e63f.jpg

No wonder it was a disappointment after seeing the poster for this....the film was totally different.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/25/4e/6d/254e6dc1a1b4f8dff82b208dd722e63f.jpg

No wonder it was a disappointment after seeing the poster for this....the film was totally different.

Arnie in Star Wars... I can picture the scene when Darth Vader removes his helmet "You are vun ugly mudder******" and the classic line "Get to da Millenium Falcon!"
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    this - http://www.impawards.com/2002/reign_of_fire.html

london burns whilst helicopters take on dragons!

except you only ever saw one dragon on screen at any given time and it was a slow and ponderous film.

i remember the advertising got a lot of flack for this

Yes! Remember going to watch this looking forward to the helicopter and dragon sequence ! And it was really boring.
    I think they had intentions of this being part 1 of a series...which never happened!!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do have a point, but were leg warmers really de rigueur for martial arts in the 80s?

Maybe they were all rocking the 'Fame' look back then ;-)

:D:D:D In their defence, quite a few martial artists in their favourite films did wear knee socks, but I think the truth is, we all had the attention span of a goldfish.
  • Options
    Wrex BickleWrex Bickle Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    The original Hannibal Lector film MANHUNTER had the tagline "The Pursuit of Hannibal Leckter"
    The character spent the whole movie in a jail cell.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

The only acurate 'The Happening' poster would have been a picture of a big steaming richard.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original Hannibal Lector film MANHUNTER had the tagline "The Pursuit of Hannibal Leckter"
    The character spent the whole movie in a jail cell.

Really? I know that movie very well and remember the original release.

Have also looked at various posters from different territories online, checked the IMDB listing and no mention of the tagline you refer to at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only acurate 'The Happening' poster would have been a picture of a big steaming richard.
    Except 'a big steaming richard' (charming, btw) wasn't actually in it - which according to some would make it misleading....;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except 'a big steaming richard' (charming, btw) wasn't actually in it - which according to some would make it misleading....;-)

I don't know...Mark Wahlberg was on the front of the poster, so it could actually be argued :D
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Really? I know that movie very well and remember the original release.

Have also looked at various posters from different territories online, checked the IMDB listing and no mention of the tagline you refer to at all.

I thought that too. Lecter is only a supporting part - but he made such an impact. It's possible that the tagline was added to video or DVD releases after 'Silence of the Lambs' was released.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trailers are often misleading as well. I only saw the trailer for Maps of the Stars after I'd seen the film which portrayed it as a dark, menacing thriller which isn't really the case. One line in particular was shortened and taken out of context to give a misleading impression.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original Italian poster for 12 Years a Slave. It predominantly feautered Brad Pitt's face, with his name in bold at the top, and at the bottom of the poster a smaller image of Chiwetel Ejiofor running.
  • Options
    Wrex BickleWrex Bickle Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I thought that too. Lecter is only a supporting part - but he made such an impact. It's possible that the tagline was added to video or DVD releases after 'Silence of the Lambs' was released.

I think I may have seen it on a D.V.D box.