Options

Spike/5USA LCN swap

Comments

• Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its just sent an update to say 1 service added and its Spike on 31 so no retune needed
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    I had to retune. Prior to that I had a caption on what used to be Viva and LCN31 was still being labelled as 5USA.
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    ... no retune needed
    ntscuser wrote: »
    I had to retune.
    I think it depends on the age of the equipment. My friends TV checks for channel changes on switch-on whereas mine has to be done manually.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    I think it depends on the age of the equipment. My friends TV checks for channel changes on switch-on whereas mine has to be done manually.

Modern HD boxes should do it itself, But older SD boxes may not.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, now the channel has launched, when will it swap and go on 21?
  • Options
    Jamie_WweJamie_Wwe Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

Its on channel 31, 5 USA is now on 21.
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was done after 11am this morning. You need to rescan you box or TV if it dose happen by its self.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    I needed to delete the existing 5USA channel then manually rescan COM4 and COM6 to get that and Spike in the right place in the EPG with the right LCNs.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern HD boxes should do it itself,
    Should, but unfortunately mine doesn't. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies, I must have gotten confused.

I assumed that 5 USA and Spike were going to swap so that Spike would be on 21, because Spike couldn't just launch on 21 right away due to EPG rules. If it is staying on 31 and 5 USA has now been upgraded to 21, well that is strange. You'd have thought they'd try and give Spike as big a push as they could.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spike is broadcasting as normal on satellite but currently has a "back at 11am" caption on Freeview, it seems the ghost of VIVA is using Spike's airtime from 9am-11am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It';s only broadcasting teleshopping isn't it? Hardly a great loss to Freeview!
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    No, programmes start at 9am on the satellite version.

It means Freeview viewers won't be able to follow Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on weekend mornings.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Teleshopping ends at 9am. Programmes like Bar Rescue and Cowboy Builders are on.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    No, programmes start at 9am on the satellite version.

It means Freeview viewers won't be able to follow Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on weekend mornings.

It's strange that they've decided to put Viva on at those times, I was expecting them to move it over to SDN and share with one of C5's other channels, which are all showing teleshopping at that time of the morning. Heck, they could replace the entirety of C5+24's daytime with Viva, which would actually make a fair bit of sense.
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will all depend on what the contracts with the shopping advertisers/content providers say, but in theory at least, things could move about. Jewellery Maker have the 9am-1pm slot on 5*, now their only Freeview presence since they came off COM7, so they might have something to say about C5/Viacom altering their contracted hours. However, in the longer term I can see a compromise of some sort, for instance JM agreeing to a longer slot on a less prominent LCN, to create something along the lines of a Viva 6am-1pm/5* post-1pm split, with JM 9am-5pm within the C5 +24 teleshopping bloc, and Spike regaining the full hours on ARQB. Of course, all this is conditional on what happens in May with the outgoing BT Sport 1 capacity...
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    Of course, all this is conditional on what happens in May with the outgoing BT Sport 1 capacity...

Hmm, that's a good point actually, as if Viacom have secured that in the longer term it wouldn't make sense to move Viva to a different mux temporarily...
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    So what actually happened?

Spike was allocated 74
    Then 5USA->VIVA, VIVA->Spike, Spike->5USA

But did Viacom choose to make 5USA more prominent or did DUK not accept the placement of Spike on 21 because it is a brand new channel in the UK (DUK need a "compelling evidence" that a change would "reflect viewer or listener expectations.")

I think the latter.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got Freeview via communal aerial so I don't have a box

I've still got 5USA on 31 and a notice about Viva starting at 9am on channel 21

I've done a rescan but no sign of Spike
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I've got Freeview via communal aerial so I don't have a box

I've still got 5USA on 31 and a notice about Viva starting at 9am on channel 21

I've done a rescan but no sign of Spike

Are you in a Freeview 'lite' area? That may explain why you can't get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    Are you in a Freeview 'lite' area? That may explain why you can't get it.

I don't know what a Freeview lite area is.........:o

I'm in the centre of London
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I don't know what a Freeview lite area is.........:o

I'm in the centre of London

As it's not your aerial i guess you don't know what transmitter it's pointing at?

Do you get Dave Ja Vu and Yesterday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've got Dave Ja Vu on 25 and Yesterday on 19

checked 31 again.............5USA !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got it now !

Done a Channel Scan..........it seems that when I did this yesterday I did an Update Scan rather than a Channel Scan.........

(I've got Virgin cable TV so don't look at Freeview very often)
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teleshopping ends at 9am. Programmes like Bar Rescue and Cowboy Builders are on.
    I have just noticed that on Sundays and Mondays Spike's programmes (on Freeview) do not start until 11:00. From 9:00 to 11:00 there is a caption saying programmes start daily at 11a.m.