Options

Costa Del Sol: last Brits standing

RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
Forum Member
Anyone watch this? Interesting programme, with the Spanish talking about the Brits in the same way some Brits talk about the Polish! 'They take our jobs' 'they dont learn the language' etc

Not sure we got a full picture of what life is really like there though. I went to Benalmedina out of season a couple of years back and while it was looking run down in places it wasn't the ghosttown the show was portraying. It's just the youth drinking market has moved on from that part of the world.

Likewise I think even many Brits abroad have moved on from the Roasts and Pie's food that the pub was offering. Tastes have changed just as much as the recession has hit wallets and visitor numbers.

the dancing guy seemed to have a reasonable part time business, the issue was he was choosing to rent an expensive penthouse apartment with pool...surely he could cut back.

Comments

• Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .................... the issue was he was choosing to rent an expensive penthouse apartment with pool...surely he could cut back.

Wasn't he paying €600 a month for it? That's £450 at the moment .... I'd say that was a bargain. And he'd have a job finding anything reasonable for less.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes you think about what some people here say about immigrants. Will there be a Spanish equivalent of UKIP soon? I always thought that ex pat Brits benefited the spanish economy, they obviously don't. They can't be bothered to learn spanish and clog up their nation health service. Where have we heard all that before?
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes you think about what some people here say about immigrants. Will there be a Spanish equivalent of UKIP soon? I always thought that ex pat Brits benefited the spanish economy, they obviously don't. They can't be bothered to learn spanish and clog up their nation health service. Where have we heard all that before?

I don't think the people featured were very representative of Costa expats, these fly on the wall programme always feature extreme situations
    Interesting that Spain provides free health care for expat Brits, didn't know that
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The double standards of english people who moan about immigrants here but don't see the correlation with english immigrants abroad is staggering, some people are so blinkered it's unbelievable

I'm pretty sure there are even posters on here who live in Spain and keep banging on about immigrants in England. You couldn't make it up
    I don't think the people featured were very representative of Costa expats, these fly on the wall programme always feature extreme situations
    Interesting that Spain provides free health care for expat Brits, didn't know that

Case in point. they're called immigrants ffs :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

If they're using an EHIC card, the bill gets sent to the NHS.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are there on holiday, they get free health care under the reciprocal EHIC .

If they are living there permanently (over three months), they are expected to either sign on to the Spanish health system, or pay for private care.

But to sign on for free state health care, they have to either be working and paying national insurance in Spain, or be over pension age.

UK pensioners just contact a branch of the dept of work and pensions and get an S1 form which transfers their right to free health care from the UK to Spain (and an appropriate amount is transferred to Spain for this purpose).

The problem is that many Spanish people do not realise that their state is being paid by the UK to treat legal UK pensioners, and it is also that, as the majority of expats left tend to be pensioners, they form part of the aging Spanish population who use up the most in health care facilities. So it is debatable in many cases whether the amount actually transferred from the UK to Spain is actually enough for their needs.

And then you get all the Brits who live permanently in Spain 'under the radar' and just hope that if they are ill their EHIC card will still work.
    The girls who worked at the bars would most likely have belonged to this group, as they were doing casual work (so no insurance paid) and had probably not signed on as residents for this reason.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Neither did I. When I worked for a H.A. we would often get O.A.Ps applying for Warden Aided accommodation, who had returned from Spain because of illness and needed the N.H.S.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because its not true. The programme got it wrong.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, never forget that these programmes are meant to be entertainment, not informative. Hence they focus on "characters", not ordinary people living their dull, humdrum lives without any of the crises, "colourful" past or life-changes that the programme dwelt on.

As for healthcare, as others have pointed out it was just flat wrong.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly true that the 18-30 market has moved on. They all seem to go to either Magaluf the Greek Islands or Bulgaria now. The Costa Del Sol resorts have always seemed like the sort of places older retired people go to for their holidays, along with Benidorm.

I do know that other places in mainland Spain like Salou are thriving with British families though.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    Because its not true. The programme got it wrong.

The interviewer didn't correct them either.
    It's a reciprocal arrangement between UK and Spain.
    Unlike Spanisher pensioners who live in UK, expat state pensioners pay towards their prescriptions
    People who go to live in Spain put a huge amount of money into the economy, buying houses, cars, consumables etc.
    They don't expect or get any benefits either, as there are none in Spain, unless you work there and pay into the system, which obviously retired people don't.
    Expats pay far more into Spain, than they take out, especially in taxes.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're using an EHIC card, the bill gets sent to the NHS.

EHIC s are for holiday makers for emergency use, valid up to three months.
    Expats living in Spain shouldn't be using them, if they are they are abusing and defrauding the Spanish health system.
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Spain does not provide free health care for expat Brits !! That is a fact - I live there !

Pensioners, in receipt of a State pension - meaning that they have worked in the UK - are required to register as residents. A whole load of bureaucracy later, they receive a medical health card, which entitles them to use the Spanish health system. Under a reciprocal agreement, the UK pays Spain about £4000 a year for each person.

All others, who are not paying into the Spanish system by working, are required to buy private health insurance.

Expats are not able to use the EHIC after the first 3 months. It is for holidaymakers only.

Of course, there are those who abuse the system.....Isn't there alway !! ????

There are no freebies here, at all. Absolutely no benefits for expats !! If you don't pay in - you don't get out !!

Perhaps, the UK would do well to follow their example ;-)

Both the taxi driver and the interpreter at the medical centre ( Mine !!! ) were talking absolute rubbish.....
  • Options
    bel110bel110 Posts: 14,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also live on the Costa del Sol and the health care stuff is rubbish ... it´s not free and you pay a huge amount in taxes to benefit from it. Many Brits also pay for private health care because it is also difficult to naviage the health service at times as a foreigner. I¨ve been to the Las Lagunas medical center and the interpreter featured was helpful to a point but certainly not as accomodating as suggested.

That aside I do think there were cetain accuracies in terms of the number of Brits leaving here ... it´s incrediably hard to work here, to find work, to maintain it and to make a profit - if you are trying to work legally. And I also think that the attitude of the Spanish has changed in the last few years and it´s worrying because although the taxi driver was wrong about the healthcare issue he clearly believed what he was saying and if the majority of Spaniards think the same it´s only a matter of time the situation could become quite nasty. I already get a sense of it in places like schools, hospitals, shops, resturants etc ... when five years ago it was a completely different atmosphere.

It´s sad but it´s the way it´s going - not just here - so in some ways the show was accurate . Many people have left and are continuing to leave.
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit to not liking the way the Spanish talked about foreigners who lived in their country. I would be inclined to agree with the Brit who claimed the locals would still be riding donkeys, rather than mercedes cars, if it wasn`t for the foreigners who came and invested everything they had in southern Spain.
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Neither did I. When I worked for a H.A. we would often get O.A.Ps applying for Warden Aided accommodation, who had returned from Spain because of illness and needed the N.H.S.

Yes, amazing how many return when they get ill/elderly. ...The UK is good enough for them then
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notice how the Spanish are miffed that the British use their health system.. imagine how they`d feel if not only did they use their health system.. but were given cash handouts and free accommodation. Then they`d know how we feel
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant any EU citizen get free healthcare here, & not for just 3 months, or not?
  • Options
    bel110bel110 Posts: 14,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    Yes, amazing how many return when they get ill/elderly. ...The UK is good enough for them then

I don´t think it´s really like that. Why shouldn´t someone work hard for all their working life in the UK and pay their taxes, then retire out to Spain for a decade and enjoy the weather and healthy lifestyle. But when they get older, ill, maybe widowed, maybe their children are in the UK and those who want to support them ... so at that stage why wouldn´t they return? It´s nothing to do with the UK not being good enough for them before ... lots of people live abroad for a time in their lives, but usually come home at some point.
    And the elderly are supported by their UK pension in the UK or Spain ... the sad truth is that for many elderly it´s just impossible to manage over here once they are alone and / or ill.

Also, the foreign residents office at the town hall which was shown in the programme is pretty unique. That dept is well know here and they are very helpful, but they only cover Mijas which is a small part of the Costa del Sol. I think a couple of other town halls have foreigners dept´s but certainly not all of them ... so for many people seeking help and support is far more difficult than it was for the lady in the programme who was lucky enough to be covered by that particular town hall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »

It is not a matter of - "The UK being good enough for them, then."

As said, they often return in their latter years due to losing their husband/wife etc.

These Pensioners are entitled to healthcare in the UK, having spent all their working life, paying towards it !!!

To reiterate, the only section of Pensioners, with an entitlement to reciprocal health care in Spain, are those who are receiving a State pension.

All other Pensioners are required to fund their own private health care.......
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    The double standards of english people who moan about immigrants here but don't see the correlation with english immigrants abroad is staggering, some people are so blinkered it's unbelievable

I'm pretty sure there are even posters on here who live in Spain and keep banging on about immigrants in England. You couldn't make it up

Case in point. they're called immigrants ffs :D

Did they have unfettered mass immigration by the Brits in spain? Are they receiving 300,000 immigrants a years in spain? Bit of a difference I think.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Notice how the Spanish are miffed that the British use their health system.. imagine how they`d feel if not only did they use their health system.. but were given cash handouts and free accommodation. Then they`d know how we feel

We being who exactly? There's more than enough ignorance in the UK about foreigners to challenge any Spanish views.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Did they have unfettered mass immigration by the Brits in spain? Are they receiving 300,000 immigrants a years in spain? Bit of a difference I think.

case in point, part 2

Let me guess, Spanish people should be grateful for English immigrants going over there and putting money into their economy?
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Interesting that the main British guy featured, the one who runs the pub, was "on the run" and is expecting a knock on the door at any time. "But it wasn't his fault Guv" His place was a typical 90's Brit bar that hasn't moved with the times. Sunday dinners and 6 types of Pie and chips.My sister in law lives out there and I have visited her villa several times. It is very noticeable how many empty and unfinished apartments and hotels there are now. Compared to even 5 years ago it has got very quiet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Interesting that the main British guy featured, the one who runs the pub, was "on the run" and is expecting a knock on the door at any time. "But it wasn't his fault Guv" His place was a typical 90's Brit bar that hasn't moved with the times. Sunday dinners and 6 types of Pie and chips.My sister in law lives out there and I have visited her villa several times. It is very noticeable how many empty and unfinished apartments and hotels there are now. Compared to even 5 years ago it has got very quiet.

We live about 3 miles from that bar......we went past there yesterday - it was packed out !!

This area is never really quiet & certainly, not at the moment - Easter week & full of 2nd home owners & tourists.

We don't go to the Brit bars - instead, frequent the Spanish tapas restaurants. Food is more interesting & much cheaper.