Options

Problem Recording

Mikey_Mikey_ Posts: 2,047
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My grandparents recently bought a new television with Freeview built into it, it came with a free DVD Recorder. It all seemed to be working fine until it came to actually recording a TV show. I showed them how to do it, and it seemed to be working fine, but when the television was turned off (or put on standby), the DVD recorder only recorded a blank screen. It works fine if the TV is left on, but that sort of defeats the purpose. Is there a way round this?

Comments

• Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Sounds like the DVD recorder does not have its own digital tuner so relies on the one in the TV; with obvious problems.
    If it does have its own digital tuner have you set it up; in particular scanned for channels?
    Richard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We tried tuning the DVD recorder, but it only found the analogue channels, which are no use.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Mikey_ wrote:
    We tried tuning the DVD recorder, but it only found the analogue channels, which are no use.
    Then as I said sounds like the DVD recorder does not have a digital tuner of its own so it is using the TVs digital tuner. So when you turn off the TV (or put it in standby*) it cannot record digital.
    * Some Freeview TVs do output to a recorder when in standby I believe but sounds like yours is not one of them. Check the manual in case it is.

After all VCRs needed their own analogue tuners so that they could record while the TV was off or to record something different to what you where watching. Basically it is the same with digital tuners.
    Richard
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote:
    * Some Freeview TVs do output to a recorder when in standby I believe but sounds like yours is not one of them. Check the manual in case it is.
    You're right they do, and they are a pain. My mate's Panny will do this but you have to use a particular scart socket and it can be set up to come on to provide a signal for a timed recording (say) while you were out.

What you should really do, is buy a cheap (£30) Freeview box and leave it dedicated to recording digital channels (as if the DVDR had one built in). This will allow for simpler set up and the ability to record one digital channel while watching another. Remember, analog will will be turned off at some point.

Alternatively, will the shop allow you to upgrade the free DVDR for a new one with FV built in? Far, far better.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your advice guys. I'll move the scart lead to the different sockets and try them out before considering buying a new Recorder/Freeview box.