• CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleasure - nice to chat to you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleasure - nice to chat to you

I have loved it too CB :) makes a nice change from some of the hysteria on here and "Vs" threads.....i just want real music that touches the soul, inspires, influences and epowers and makes you think AND feel rather than articificial meaninglessness and purposeless fan wars...its a breath of fresh air.

So your welcome and very much THANK YOU :)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1989 Soul II Soul- Club Classics Vol 1 and Back to Life need i say more :p I like 89 as it had a surprising amount of diversity and alot of gems and moments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    1989 Soul II Soul- Club Classics Vol 1 and Back to Life need i say more :p I like 89 as it had a surprising amount of diversity and alot of gems and moments.

You know i dont have this album in my nor my parents collection :eek: i had a look seeing it mentioned on here and seeing it a few times....anyhow...time to add to basket ;)

ANd definitely....and as evidenced by the posts im finding re-discovering gems from the year more and more MAN! :cool:
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i sure feel the 1989 vibe, just checking some of the tracks listed in thread

Bangles - Eternal Flame

sounds as good as ever

Depeche Mode

Cyndi Lauper - I Drove All Night

Roger Scott was doing Scott on Sunday on R1 - 1989, before he sadly died from cancer

Lots of focus on 1950's rock n roll, made me wish i was alive back then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i sure feel the 1989 vibe, just checking some of the tracks listed in thread

Bangles - Eternal Flame

sounds as good as ever

Depeche Mode

Cyndi Lauper - I Drove All Night

Roger Scott was doing Scott on Sunday on R1 - 1989, before he sadly died from cancer

Lots of focus on 1950's rock n roll, made me wish i was alive back then

Forgot about Cyndi yeah love that song too :)....but the album itself unfortunately marked an end of her dominance across the 80s after her solid debut and stable follow up...this third album didnt quite make it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Tracy Chapman
    The Cure
    The Wonderstuff
    PWEI
    and how could I forget Debbie Gibson.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As i tought, heard songs from Donna Summers Another Place Another Time album under S/A/W and it really is that "hit factory sound" i really dislike :/ at least i tried it.

But just proves every year of really breathtaking material there is a handful of "of its era" stuff unfortunately but alas....toes tapped at least :D just not my thing at all that :/

But yeah ordered Soul 2 SOul now :D....amazing album.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    Tracy Chapman
    The Cure
    The Wonderstuff
    PWEI
    and how could I forget Debbie Gibson.:p

This is the day. This is the hour. This is this. I forgot that was 89.
    We like the music we like that disco sound.
    And there's also this belter

http://youtu.be/v7Wm4qXC_j4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1989 The Hoff did tear down The Wall

And Einstürzende Neubauten wrote the masterpiece Haus der Lüge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9zGUyV5XaA
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    1989 The Hoff did tear down The Wall

And Einstürzende Neubauten wrote the masterpiece Haus der Lüge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9zGUyV5XaA

He didn't deliberately tear down the wall. He was just looking. For freedom apparently. He did wear a fine neon lit jacket on the Wall while singing.
    Neon lit jackets are cool
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raw Like Sushi and Club Classics Vol 1 are on their way :cool:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
    One of my fav one hit wonder songs ever exploded this year

Gotta share my love for Like A Prayer and Rhythm nation. It's a bit sad how forgotten Janet has become because Control and Rhythm Nation are perhaps better than anything that any R&b female has released over the past few years, much better than of the material from Saint Beyonce. Ms Jackson needs a resurgance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
    One of my fav one hit wonder songs ever exploded this year

Gotta share my love for Like A Prayer and Rhythm nation. It's a bit sad how forgotten Janet has become because Control and Rhythm Nation are perhaps better than anything that any R&b female has released over the past few years, much better than of the material from Saint Beyonce. Ms Jackson needs a resurgance.

YES Black Velvet...ah even more.

So many re-discoveries for 1989 already!

And agreed Rhythm Nation is an epic album....its a shame that as she went on (like i said prior really) that her albums got longer and longer and the amterial got outweighed by the fillery aspects...although gems were still there.

And totally Janet gets oft overlooked as "MJs" Sister and nothing without Paula Abduls choreography and nothing with out Jimmy Jam & terry Lewis when its not that case at all...it is a shame but hey at least she has sold more than Britney and Beyonce right? ;):D but its true it is a shame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah all on their way should be here by Weds :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    It was a kind of transition year as acid house had happened and dance / hip hop was becoming more and more mainstream. Another vote for Club Classics Vol 1 plus Lisa Stansfield, Stone Roses etc. It was also the start of a lot of big one-off dance tracks like 'Lil Louis French Kiss. I was 18 in 1989 and remember hearing that in the local clubs (the orgasmic breakdown always proved interesting)! Happy times. I played Raw Like Sushi and Rhythm Nation to death that year on my Walkman...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a kind of transition year as acid house had happened and dance / hip hop was becoming more and more mainstream. Another vote for Club Classics Vol 1 plus Lisa Stansfield, Stone Roses etc. It was also the start of a lot of big one-off dance tracks like 'Lil Louis French Kiss. I was 18 in 1989 and remember hearing that in the local clubs (the orgasmic breakdown always proved interesting)! Happy times. I played Raw Like Sushi and Rhythm Nation to death that year on my Walkman...

Haha cool story there :) Ah a Walkman :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was recommended by a friend in Aus The London Boys - Requiem from their album 12 Commendments Of Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA9hXnX-y8E

EUropop BEFORE Europop :cool:
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REM are often presumed to have debuted in 1991 with Losing My Religion. However, in 1989 they had 2 excellent singles Stand and Orange Crush.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jive Bunny had 3 Number 1's in 1989. Need I say any more! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually have no idea who Jive Bunny is....nor should i think i should need to lol.

And yeah i read that about R.E.M too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember French Kiss and a Dj talking about the poor woman having to take a breather from carrying all that heavy shopping. Didnt have a clue what he was talking about til i heard it - great tune!
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I suddenly remember Street Tough by the Rebel MC with its opening "Talk talk talk, tell me something. You can't play base". Trust me, you'll be singing it all night!:eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember French Kiss and a Dj talking about the poor woman having to take a breather from carrying all that heavy shopping. Didnt have a clue what he was talking about til i heard it - great tune!

what song is that??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lil Louis - French Kiss - play it all the way through

;)