Channel 4 showing Die Hard 2 tonight at 9pm

AdsAds Posts: 37,056
Forum Member
The film was made in 1990 and is not the normal sort of film shown by Channel 4 (ITV used to show this back in the 90's).

Is this a sign they have just given up on Saturdays after a few years of terrible ratings, or are they just trying something different in an attempt to bring in viewers to what has become a really difficult night for them?

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Yeah I think films are probably the best route to go down. Cheap and cheerful, can be shown multiple times normally and generally draw in a decent audience. Saturday is a really tricky day of the week for Channel 4, especially during this last quarter of the year when they are struggling to compete with juggernauts like The X Factor on the other side.

They rely on the early evening Come Dine With Me marathon to boost their share and prevent their Saturdays from being completely disastrous. In primetime it is pointless trying to compete too hard given the level of competition and so repeats and films like this are probably the best option. I'd imagine they will also repeat the LOTR trilogy again this year as those always seem to rate well, like the POTC films for the BBC, even after numerous showings.
  • escapeintonightescapeintonight Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    It's not even HD .
    And definitely a desperate ratings grabbing move on behalf of C4 who used to never show this type of Hollywood movie let alone peaktime.

Seems odd they would scrap Big Brother and then shamelessly chase ratings with this.

C4 was supposed to be a channel of distinction but I guess their revenue is feeling the pinch
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I was struck by this as well, C4 might as well give up any pretence to being different if the best they can muster is a Die Hard and Phone Booth to fill out an evening.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    phone booth is a decent film wich they showed 2nd october 2010 at 11.15pm in other words 1 and a quater hours ago but quite old
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Yeah I was struck by this as well, C4 might as well give up any pretence to being different if the best they can muster is a Die Hard and Phone Booth to fill out an evening.

Why are people surprised at this?

Channel 4 gave up any pretence of being different 10 years ago!

A few years ago they showed Police Academy!:eek:

The real channel 4 would never have showed Police Academy.

Channel 4 changed in all but name in 2000/ 2001.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I know, just reinterating the point. C4 is a channel with no USP no real distinction overall anymore.
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    All channel 4 need for a Saturday night is a reality show of their own, like Hells Kitchen, but not like the UK version, like the US version with real people rather than celebrities.

Something that's going to appeal to older, wiser people, but still has the interactive element for the viewer.
  • IRKarlIRKarl Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Its better than showing a movie on saturday night at 9 and then showing it again at 7 on sunday.

Usually they show something thats been on film four a few months ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Film Four is mainstream as hell these days.
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stack 'em, pack 'em and rack 'em.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    CH 4 has been showing the Lord of the Rings trilogy over and over again on weekends for a few years so I don't think a film like Die Hard 2 is any change in scheduling policy, although it's not as good as Die Hard. :D
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C4 also showed Star Trek movies every Saturday (with The Wrath of Khan on a Sunday evening) in a row through the summer, so it's not a recent change in policy to show mainstream cinema.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    It's not even HD .
    And definitely a desperate ratings grabbing move on behalf of C4 who used to never show this type of Hollywood movie let alone peaktime.

Seems odd they would scrap Big Brother and then shamelessly chase ratings with this.

C4 was supposed to be a channel of distinction but I guess their revenue is feeling the pinch

think you'll find it was HD;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    All channel 4 need for a Saturday night is a reality show of their own, like Hells Kitchen, but not like the UK version, like the US version with real people rather than celebrities.

Something that's going to appeal to older, wiser people, but still has the interactive element for the viewer.

Funny how we have to put celebrities in our shows and yet in the States they do it with real people and it is far better (and surely cheaper to make too?)
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least they can show it in the OAR and uncut, unlike ITV who crop it and badly edit it when shown later in the evening than 9pm.

Channel 4 are much better at showing movies than ITV, FIVE and the BBC, just the selection they have aren't as great as the other channels.
  • escapeintonightescapeintonight Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    aldo560 wrote: »
    think you'll find it was HD;)

Wasn't listed in the RADIO TIMES as HD although I would have expected C4 to air it in HD- I didn't watch to check
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sirius wrote: »
    Stack 'em, pack 'em and rack 'em.

That's the weirdest speech ever. There's a terrorist situation going on and he's just talking gibberish! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C4 also showed Star Trek movies every Saturday (with The Wrath of Khan on a Sunday evening) in a row through the summer, so it's not a recent change in policy to show mainstream cinema.

Well, they omitted No.10, for the odd reason of having shown it on another of their channels earlier in the year, but there's a Star Trek weekend coming during October on Film4 - so no doubt Wrath of Khan will end up early afternoon and end up getting censored.

And when they did show Wrath of Khan, it was also on a Saturday. They all were.
  • Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wrath Of Khan was on a Sunday as it was the only one i missed because of work next day.
    I watched a bit of Die Hard 2 in HD and thought it looked pretty impressive for a 20 year old film.
    Remember seeing this at the cinema,they had a 5 minute promo for a new tv series which started on Sky 1 the weekend before called "Meet The Simpsons"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dar W wrote: »
    The Wrath Of Khan was on a Sunday as it was the only one i missed because of work next day.

I don't have a listings schedule to hand for that far back so was going off memory.
    Remember seeing this at the cinema,they had a 5 minute promo for a new tv series which started on Sky 1 the weekend before called "Meet The Simpsons"

That said, I do remember that. Ah, I remember the days when the Simpsons was funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Well, they omitted No.10, for the odd reason of having shown it on another of their channels earlier in the year, but there's a Star Trek weekend coming during October on Film4 - so no doubt Wrath of Khan will end up early afternoon and end up getting censored.

The late night showing of Wrath of Khan was also censored. I complained to C4 at the time and they admitted they put the daytime version out by accident.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The late night showing of Wrath of Khan was also censored. I complained to C4 at the time and they admitted they put the daytime version out by accident.

That's bound to be the version we get next time, then, which I see is in in two weeks - Oct 16th 4.40pm. Then again, it was reclassified as a 12-cert last year, so it can't really be that bad these days, surely?

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/HVF027738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    That's bound to be the version we get next time, then, which I see is in in two weeks - Oct 16th 4.40pm. Then again, it was reclassified as a 12-cert last year, so it can't really be that bad these days, surely?

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/HVF027738

Cuts that I saw when it was shown on C4 was the earwig going into Chekov's ears and the dead workers at the space station.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Oh I know, just reinterating the point. C4 is a channel with no USP no real distinction overall anymore.

Yip, channel 4 have become a chaotic mess. They've completely lost they're 'personality'.

They've become channel 5.

The Woolworths of television. :D
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Die Hard 2 brought in 1.6m viewers, which is more than they normally get so you could argue this tactic paid off