Bolton Wanderers - Deep in Debt

Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How much? They have to find alternative sources of funding. Hmmmm. This is serious for them.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bolton-wanderers-debt-up-1638-6456166

Comments

• JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    thats a staggering amount of money. :o ..plus losing 50 mil in one year and yet they must have revenue from the turnstiles and advertising..simply its clubs are paying too high wages
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to parachute payments?
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was only a few years ago that the Bolton chairman was campaigning for the PL to be a closed shop, whilst they were still in it obviously.

Now we know why.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much? How does this madness happen? One mans generosity will probably be their eventual downfall.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is huge amount of debt, but how many of the premier league clubs are debt free, let alone relegated championship clubs?...

Lets face it, how many clubs throughout the entire football league have a secure financial footing, and is there a list of clubs "indebtedness" around somewhere?.....
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    This is huge amount of debt, but how many of the premier league clubs are debt free, let alone relegated championship clubs?...

Lets face it, how many clubs throughout the entire football league have a secure financial footing, and is there a list of clubs "indebtedness" around somewhere?.....

There's debt and there's debt. This is madness that should never have been allowed to happen. Suddenly Portsmouth seem like a well run club compared to this lot.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine there was some silly player contracts, 25 players + staff etc i bet would hoover up a million quid a week easily add in all the other extras and the money will disappear fast!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Wait for the Bolton fans to come on and tell us how Eddie Davies has got it all covered. His finances are unknown but I seriously doubt he has £160m in cash lying around to cover this.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone put this debt figure in some sort of context?

What is it as a ratio to turnover?

How does this stand alone figure relate to the profit / loss figures?

How are the repayments structured currently?
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    Can someone put this debt figure in some sort of context?

What is it as a ratio to turnover?

How does this stand alone figure relate to the profit / loss figures?

How are the repayments structured currently?

Their turnover is £28m so it's a huge amount of debt. Nearly all the money is owed to Eddie Davies (150m out of £160m) who banks offshore and is quite a mysterious figure. However, to suggest he has £150m cash sitting around to pay it off is ridiculous, it is probably all leveraged against his companies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    The Swiss Ramble blogs are always good when it comes to football finances.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Bolton%20Wanderers
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Swiss Ramble blogs are always good when it comes to football finances.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Bolton%20Wanderers

An excellent blog post - thanks for posting.

It explains how it all fits together in a dynamic sense; namely that the trends of just about all the numbers are going the wrong way other than, ironically, the owner's situation where the interest payments of his loaned money are generating a nice income stream for him (as alluded to by Walterwhite above).
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    An excellent blog post - thanks for posting.

It explains how it all fits together in a dynamic sense; namely that the trends of just about all the numbers are going the wrong way other than, ironically, the owner's situation where the interest payments of his loaned money are generating a nice income stream for him (as alluded to by Walterwhite above).

If I was a Bolton fan i'd be extremely worried about Mr Davis.
  • Supera MorasSupera Moras Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Us Bolton fans knew we were in serious brown stuff and these latest figures released just confirmed it. The sad thing is that we never created a legacy when we were riding high and the academy that we invested so much in has offered nothing since Kevin Nolan and Nicky Hunt.

Most of us know now that it'll probably be a long time until we see the Premier League again and we have a long road ahead of us, especially with the financial fair play rules coming into effect next season.

If you want a brief insight into the terrible dealings that have contributed to us being in this debt, take a look at http://mannyroad.com/bolton-wanderers-and-how-they-wasted-40-million/ Quite alarming figures there, considering we were always known for bringing players in for next to nothing and selling them on for profit i.e. Jason McAteer, Alan Thompson, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Michael Ricketts
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading up on bolton and wondered what happened with kevin davies. Read that last season they announced he wouldn't be getting a contract renewal in march then dropped him out of the 1st team squad and he didn't play a game since. Seems like a crappy way to end a 10 year spell
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Just reading up on bolton and wondered what happened with kevin davies. Read that last season they announced he wouldn't be getting a contract renewal in march then dropped him out of the 1st team squad and he didn't play a game since. Seems like a crappy way to end a 10 year spell

Davies was treated terribly in his final season and shuffled out the back door without so much of a "thanks for the service, big guy". Just one of the many incidents which have lead to the fans becoming disillusioned.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davies was treated terribly in his final season and shuffled out the back door without so much of a "thanks for the service, big guy". Just one of the many incidents which have lead to the fans becoming disillusioned.

I was surprised when I read about it, he is one of the better players for bolton in the last 10 years. Terrible way to treat him, makes you wonder if words were said or he had some financial clauses in his contract and they didnt wanna risk paying out. Sad state of affairs
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »
    I was surprised when I read about it, he is one of the better players for bolton in the last 10 years. Terrible way to treat him, makes you wonder if words were said or he had some financial clauses in his contract and they didnt wanna risk paying out. Sad state of affairs

Rumour has it he had a trigger in his contract that would've offered him an extension had he played x amount of games. That was fine in the first few months of the season when we were hopeful of going straight back up and he was a regular but when it dawned on the board that it was unlikely and we couldn't afford to pay him for another season in the Championship, he was completely cut off from the first team. Shame as I think KD would've taken an even bigger pay cut to stay as he loved Bolton, but no, we'd rather dump loyal players and stick with expensive mistakes instead in the hope they'll repay a small percentage of their fees and/or hope they'll perform well enough for a club to come in and buy them.