The Link (quiz show with Mark Williams)

Comments

• JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The girl on the right on the girls' team today was so bossy and annoying.
  • CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show isn't THAT bad, but Mark Williams is the worst presenter I've EVER seen of a quiz show. Just awful!!!
  • CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His lack of rapport with the contestants is absolutely hilarious! He's SO bad!!
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't sleep?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Cwej wrote: »
    The show isn't THAT bad, but Mark Williams is the worst presenter I've EVER seen of a quiz show. Just awful!!!
    Kirsty Wark has presented a couple of quiz shows. I'd say she was worse at it.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    I like Mark. He's just a bit different, that's all. He's no worse than Mark Benton.
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Mark. He's just a bit different, that's all. He's no worse than Mark Benton.

I like Mark as well and his laid back attitude. Anyone who thinks he's the worst quiz show presenter obviously hasn't seen Phil Spencer on the very similar Common Denominator. He truly was awful and no wonder a second series wasn't commissioned.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like this quiz but sometimes it gets under my skin because of the inconsistent answers that the producers allow.
    For instance, today we had the clues: Scott, Shepard, Mitchell, Bean, Conrad, Aldrin, Armstrong -
    Answer given: 'Astronauts' (which of course they were)
    Answer denied. 'No, the answer is, people that have walked on the Moon'

WHAT?!:confused:
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    I like this quiz but sometimes it gets under my skin because of the inconsistent answers that the producers allow.
    For instance, today we had the clues: Scott, Shepard, Mitchell, Bean, Conrad, Aldrin, Armstrong -
    Answer given: 'Astronauts' (which of course they were)
    Answer denied. 'No, the answer is, people that have walked on the Moon'

WHAT?!:confused:

Well, I guess if there's a more specific link they have to demand that. Otherwise you'd have people expecting them to accept the likes of "They're all American men"...
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Well, I guess if there's a more specific link they have to demand that. Otherwise you'd have people expecting them to accept the likes of "They're all American men"...

I'd expect contestants on a quiz show about word association to be a bit less tenuous than that. Plus, you don't have to be an American to be an astronaut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today's episode was really unfair with the backside/bottom debacle.
  • Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Mark Williams makes a good host - and very personable.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Today's episode was really unfair with the backside/bottom debacle.

Yes, are they meant to be psychic now? The rest of the show is fine but the format of the last round is dreadful. Perhaps it would be better if the contestants had to guess a potential answer in the list instead of the overall connection. But maybe the BBC would have to give away more prize money then ;-)

Also why is it suddenly being shown again when there are onlya few episodes left?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Yes, are they meant to be psychic now? The rest of the show is fine but the format of the last round is dreadful. Perhaps it would be better if the contestants had to guess a potential answer in the list instead of the overall connection. But maybe the BBC would have to give away more prize money then ;-)

Also why is it suddenly being shown again when there are onlya few episodes left?

I mean would the have preferred him to say 'words for arse?!' He was just trying to be polite. I guess it must be in the rules but that sort of question shouldn't be allowed as he was correct.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief, today's contestants had the most SHOCKING display of general knowledge I have ever seen! :o I would've got at least 4 of those links.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The refusal to accept "Prime Ministers" was harsh today IMO. People who live in the UK don't tend to refer to the "British Prime Minister" or the "British Transport Secretary". Unless they specifically state they are talking about the Danish PM or the Italian PM, you just assume they're referring to Cameron and co.
    Lenitive wrote: »

Doctors is on its summer break and is usually shown from 1:45pm (as The Link is at the moment), so I'm guessing The Link is filling the gap.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got Charles Dickens Novels straight away on just Bleak House! :D
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite probably the worst ever contestant in any quiz.

Those five questions were probably the easiest I've seen at the end - very guessable early on, but he even failed to offer any answer at all.

The guy is a corporate lawyer, for heaven's sake.

He is in a band yet failed to get Elvis Presley.
    As for Charles Dickens, tragic.

I'm sure he'll be ok on his salary.
  • Aaron11Aaron11 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Really don't like Mark Williams as presenter, atleast Mark Benton has more personality and it seemed good rapport with the contestants, as for Mark? Well I'm sure he's a very presentable chap, and a decent actor, but on The Link terrible

"Now pay attention!"
    "no!"
    "everyone back in play stand by for 4/3/2/1 Links"
    "you're on your own, no conferring!"
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron11 wrote: »
    Really don't like Mark Williams as presenter, atleast Mark Benton has more personality and it seemed good rapport with the contestants, as for Mark? Well I'm sure he's a very presentable chap, and a decent actor, but on The Link terrible

"Now pay attention!"
    "no!"
    "everyone back in play stand by for 4/3/2/1 Links"
    "you're on your own, no conferring!"

Lol he's hilariously abrupt. Reminds me of an English teacher who just doesn't give a fig more.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Good grief, today's contestants had the most SHOCKING display of general knowledge I have ever seen! :o I would've got at least 4 of those links.

I was banging my head off the arm of the chair, in frustration. Still can't find my Tesco clubcard that I threw at the screen.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    How stupid were those posh guys. One was a lawyer, has he never heard of any Dickens books. Never heard an Elvis song !!
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    How stupid were those posh guys. One was a lawyer, has he never heard of any Dickens books. Never heard an Elvis song !!

+1 on this.
    His friend did say that he would have got them though.
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    The refusal to accept "Prime Ministers" was harsh today IMO. People who live in the UK don't tend to refer to the "British Prime Minister" or the "British Transport Secretary". Unless they specifically state they are talking about the Danish PM or the Italian PM, you just assume they're referring to Cameron and co.

It did seem very harsh.
    I suppose the reasoning is that they were only Prime Ministers of the UK and didn't include any from another country, in which their answer would have been accepted o suppose.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    It did seem very harsh.
    I suppose the reasoning is that they were only Prime Ministers of the UK and didn't include any from another country, in which their answer would have been accepted o suppose.

If they wanted to be specific they might as well have insisted that the answer should have been Male UK Prime Ministers (Thatcher wasn't on the list) or indeed 20th Century Male UK Prime Ministers (which they all were). Where do you stop?