Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Poor, poor episode, 3/10!! But agreed we have been spoilt with some great one's recently so there had a to be major blip at some point and.....we just witnessed it!

No wonder I asked for Ashes to Ashes for my birthday in 1980 - it was the best song (& video) by far at the time!!
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An episode that looked a lot better on paper than in reality - too many acts with disappointing efforts for me. Some kind of summer lull? Would have liked to hear more of the Numan song, but the sound quality of the video was awful.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    He became an early pioneer of the "enter high, then drop straight away" chart behaviour.

Yep. An early victim of 'fanatical fan base' syndrome with little long term appeal to many neutrals I suppose. I'm surprised with that song though as for me it was one of his best.
    In '82, We Take Mystery entered at No.9 and dropped to No.11. :o

:o That's got to rare, going straight into the top 10 and then dropping out the following week.
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they preferred something a little stronger. ;-) :D

Glue was the Ramones recreational drug of choice IIRC. :o ;-)
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glue was the Ramones recreational drug of choice IIRC. :o ;-)

Probably true. Course, we were all using it back then though........

....but most of us, only on our Art projects. ;-) :D
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    No wonder I asked for Ashes to Ashes for my birthday in 1980 - it was the best song (& video) by far at the time!!

Second best :)

Abba the best.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Yep. An early victim of 'fanatical fan base' syndrome with little long term appeal to many neutrals I suppose. I'm surprised with that song though as for me it was one of his best.

:o That's got to rare, going straight into the top 10 and then dropping out the following week.

Yep, I'd only been following the charts closely for a couple of years at that point and it might have been the first single to enter Top 10 and fall out the following week.
    I'd bought 'We Take Mystery..' the week it was released and was shocked when it went -9-11. I think it's a really strong Numan track. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Second best :)

Abba the best.

:( - Not that song it isn't! It drones on & on! :(
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know this play out Beat song either! :o That sounded better than most of tonight's other offerings though.

I remember this song Best Friend very well as I have still got the Just Cant Stop It album from The Beat that I bought earlier that year. There was one more track to be released from the same album but not until spring 1983 called Can't Get Used To Losing You, a brilliant version of Andy Williams hit. :)
  • Options
    beerqueenbeerqueen Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Was never a fan of Abba - found them boring to be honest. I can enjoy them now but only in a karaoke sort've way mostly
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beerqueen wrote: »
    Was never a fan of Abba - found them boring to be honest. I can enjoy them now but only in a karaoke sort've way mostly

ABBA actually called it a day by 1983 when their single releases started to bomb from early 1982 onwards.

Link: http://www.everyhit.com/searchsec.php

Link not working properly, I'll find another one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABBA_discography
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another largely dull episode. That makes it three out of four since the show returned after the strike. The edition shown last week was the only one of the four I've enjoyed.

At least the last two singles played tonight were excellent - 'Ashes To Ashes' and 'Best Friend'. The latter is something of a forgotten gem from this era. The single was a double A side along with 'Stand Down Margaret', an anti-Thatcher song. Needless to say only 'Best Friend' really got any radio play.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Another largely dull episode. That makes it three out of four since the show returned after the strike. The edition shown last week was the only one of the four I've enjoyed.

At least the last two singles played tonight were excellent - 'Ashes To Ashes' and 'Best Friend'. The latter is something of a forgotten gem from this era. The single was a double A side along with 'Stand Down Margaret', an anti-Thatcher song. Needless to say only 'Best Friend' really got any radio play.

"Stand Down Margaret" - she did at least take their advice, a little matter of ten years later!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    beerqueen wrote: »

Boring?!!! :o

I could call Abba a lot of things - but boring wouldn't be one of them! Love them or hate them - they knew how to write a perfect pop song!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SgtRock wrote: »
    "Stand Down Margaret" - she did at least take their advice, a little matter of ten years later!

:D - I've never know a Prime minister have so many songs written about them!!
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aarrgghh I thought it wasn't on and had finished until September!!!
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could be in a minority of one here, but I always thought 'Ashes to Ashes' was over-rated and I suspect the single was propelled to No. 1 more on the strength of the avant-garde video than any musical merit - it is arguably the first example of the early 80s phenomenon where it became par for the course for lavish videos to receive more critical acclaim than the records they were made to promote.

BIB - IMO that is true of 'Ashes to Ashes'. :D

The lyrical content of 'The Winner Takes It All' is deeply personal and Agnetha sang it with passion and poignancy - in contrast Bowie's vocal delivery on 'Ashes to Ashes' sounds deadpan and devoid of any emotion - I think he produced wider-ranging and more rounded vocal performances on early 70s singles such as 'Drive In Saturday' and 'Life On Mars?' (both of which peaked at No. 3).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't like The Winner Takes it All??? :confused::confused::o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be in a minority of one here, but I always thought 'Ashes to Ashes' was over-rated and I suspect the single was propelled to No. 1 more on the strength of the avant-garde video than any musical merit - it is arguably the first example of the early 80s phenomenon where it became par for the course for lavish videos to receive more critical acclaim than the records they were made to promote.

BIB - IMO that is true of 'Ashes to Ashes'. :D

The lyrical content of 'The Winner Takes It All' is deeply personal and Agnetha sang it with passion and poignancy - in contrast Bowie's vocal delivery on 'Ashes to Ashes' sounds deadpan and devoid of any emotion - I think he produced wider-ranging and more rounded vocal performances on early 70s singles such as 'Drive In Saturday' and 'Life On Mars?' (both of which peaked at No. 3).

I'm in the camp that thinks both songs are excellent and it's hard to think of two better successive Number 1s. Sure, the video for Ashes definitely helped, but IMO it's a brilliant song in its own right.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Circus Games was the skids best imo. Loved eltons song, liked all his stuff from this period the best.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone a fan of the 'editing style' of the show?

Seems to be sharply cut between links & performances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Circus Games was the skids best imo. Loved eltons song, liked all his stuff from this period the best.

Yes, I don't remember Sartorial Eloquence but thought it was very good
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A poor episode tonight, Skids (great guitar riffs), Elton's hat & The Selecter get pass marks. :(
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full version on air
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh - Ian Dury!
This discussion has been closed.