Options

LinkedIn

Mel O'DramaticMel O'Dramatic Posts: 580
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all

I'm on LinkedIn and thinking of upgrading to Premium but not sure if it's worth it unless you're a business owner or someone with a vocational career. Anyone got any experience of it, did you find it useful in your job search?

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it is not worth upgrading to Premium in my view, though they do have a free trial at the moment.

You don't need it to see the job adverts and I have not found it of much use to approach someone you don't already know on the job front. I get various recruitment agents approaching me on there at the moment but then my type of skills are in demand now with Financial Services companies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Soulboy, that's kind of what I was thinking. It's the job adverts I'm mainly interested in anyway. I've been on the free trial and decided to subscribe but they advertised it as £19.99 and they actually billed me £23.99. When I queried it, they said it was something to do with VAT not being added on until the money comes out. Load of bollox IMO, and for something I'm not sure I'll get any benefit from.

They've offered to refund me, so I think I'll just cancel and stick to bog-standard LinkedIn.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Stick with standard.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standard is fine by me - and I found my current job through it.

LinkedIn does have a lot of annoyances such as people boasting about how brilliant they are and fishing for endorsements but it's still probably the best place to find a new job.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Watch what pictures you post - some get copied and used in sex dating profiles, so best to post pics only of you in business mode.

You can check if someone has stolen your pics by uploading your own copy of the pics into Google image search and seeing if anyone out there is using them.

The world is full of sick weirdos.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are these job ads? I've been on there for about ten years and have never seen any.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I'm sticking with standard.

Steve - thanks for the photo warning. I think people would be disappointed if they used my pic for a sex website!

barbela - I get e-mails telling me about the latest jobs I might be interested in but that may have been a feature of the premium trial. Maybe it's something you need to turn on in your settings?
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbela - I get e-mails telling me about the latest jobs I might be interested in but that may have been a feature of the premium trial. Maybe it's something you need to turn on in your settings?

I've never even considered premium (I thought only recruitment consultants found it worthwhile to go premium) and I still get those job emails. It's an option you can select in the settings as you suggested. Most big companies now advertise through LinkedIn plus you can get headhunted so it's worth having your profile as public as possible and keeping it updated. No need to go premium unless you want to contact lots of random people which is never a good idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree Shappy. During my free trial with premium, some random airforce bloke in the States wanted to connect with me! How that's going to help me in my job search, I've no idea.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Where are these job ads? I've been on there for about ten years and have never seen any.

If you follow companies you may be interested in then they often post job openings.

The main sources of job information is either through their jobs pages (https://www.linkedin.com/job/home) or from recruitment consultants who search LinkedIn for potential candiates. That's how I got my current job - I wasn't actively looking to move but I got a call from a recruiter who had found my details on the site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been quite sceptical about LinkedIn but it's good to hear of people who have had some success getting a new job through using it. I've totally lost faith in online job websites, and agencies are proving useless (no change there).
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

I don't see job ads

Recruiters ask you to add them then email you asking if they can phone you (and that will often turn into a technical interview).
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree Shappy. During my free trial with premium, some random airforce bloke in the States wanted to connect with me! How that's going to help me in my job search, I've no idea.

Usually there is a connection (members of the same user group for instance).

If there's none I refuse.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    I get notifications that "so and so companies are looking in your area"
    Unfortunately most of these are as relevant as Amazon's "top recommendations for you" for music and movies