O2 Advert "Be More Dog" is catist

Comments

• exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It implies that it is a far superior state of being to be a dog, than it is to be a cat.

Cats make useful drones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJfM23iChzs
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    The ad does seem to insinuate that dogs are far superior to cats and is very confusing telling us to be more dog and using a cat, the advertisers should use an actual dog instead and illustrate to us why dogs are superior to cats.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    The one I always hated from YEARS ago was the washing powder one (Persil, maybe?) where the woman sends her skinhead son out to buy washing powder to wash his jeans and he comes back with the wrong one. So she opens a cupboard and shows him the one he was supposed to buy. Which means she ALREADY HAD SOME. I mean, it was just nasty, really. She clearly knew he wasn't very bright, she didn't even need washing powder, she was just trying to make him look stupid.

Ah but maybe there was only a little bit left in that one, and she needed a new one to top it up - of course it's only fiction, but it was very common 15 to 20 years ago, to have ads deliberately designed to make males look stupid, and women to be far superior.

Go back to the 50's and 60's, and it was the other way round.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Dogs in adverts, does anyone else think that the Trip Advisor one where that dog keeps saying 'Book' is annoying beyond belief? It really gets on my tits!

Yes! I hate that advert, so annoying :D
    The advert irritates me not because I am a cat lover especially but because to my mind it is illogical and therefore wrong.

Dogs are loyal, faithful, stay at home creatures and trained to be subordinate to the pack leader - who in the case of a household pet is supposed to be the owner. On the whole you don't own a cat, it deigns to live with you, rather grudgingly in some cases. Cats in the most part come and go as they wish and are quite prepared to move if they see a better gaff. As they say dogs have owners and cats have staff.

When I see this ad I wonder if I am missing a subtle point. Perhaps a bit of subversion or an ironic joke being made? If so I am not getting it.

The other ad that irritates me is the one with the woman who declares it to be a disaster because her fridge freezer is broken and her daughter needs to make a cake for the school fair. Why should a broken fridge freezer prevent said cake from being baked? :confused:
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I think that's it. A cat who saw a better mobile deal would ditch O2 in a heartbeat and move providers. They're encouraging their customers to be more like dogs and remain with O2 through some instinctive sense of "loyalty".

I don't agree that dogs are more faithful than cats or that cats will easily go and live somewhere else if they prefer it. My family and I have had so many cats in the past and none of them ever left and many of them have been incredibly loyal to us. This is one reason I don't like the be more dog adverts because it does imply dogs are superior to cats.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of Dogs in adverts, does anyone else think that the Trip Advisor one where that dog keeps saying 'Book' is annoying beyond belief? It really gets on my tits!

"BOOK!"- it's quite unpleasant to listen to.

Sharknado is extremely sharkist -it indicates all sharks ever want to do is be aggressive & eat humans.

Same with Jurassic Park/world -apart from the"dino's are extinct" get out clause:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    Yes! I hate that advert, so annoying :D

I don't agree that dogs are more faithful than cats or that cats will easily go and live somewhere else if they prefer it. My family and I have had so many cats in the past and none of them ever left and many of them have been incredibly loyal to us. This is one reason I don't like the be more dog adverts because it does imply dogs are superior to cats.
    If you want a patronising animal ad I say look at the energy co ad with the orang utang

My response was:"oh you think you're customers are monkeys do you??"
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes! >:(
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It implies that it is a far superior state of being to be a dog, than it is to be a cat.

Our four cats, and the 5th one who has been worming her way in for months, are most indignant about this and wish to report it to Ofcom.

It is not PC, and does nothing for good relations between cats and dogs.

I agree and this advert has irked me for ages.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hate it!!!....
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it!!!....

Me too, but going off the tangent a little, I also HATE HATE HATE the advert with the voice over saying you got it 'booking' right.

Pretendy swear words are never funny

take note FCUK
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An innocent kitten could sell me something but not a fully grown cat. They look sneaky and always up to something. Dogs are superior to cats and I do find cat people to usually be a lot stranger than dog people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An innocent kitten could sell me something but not a fully grown cat. They look sneaky and always up to something. Dogs are superior to cats and I do find cat people to usually be a lot stranger than dog people.

Dogs are willing servants & keeping one is an ego trip for the owner. If you have a pet cat it's the cat that's on the ego trip!!:D
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member

And what about people like myself who are cat AND dog people?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    And what about people like myself who are cat AND dog people?

The dog gives you the benefit of the doubt.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a cat person....
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I complained to them on Twitter about it ages ago - I was a bit tipsy haha. They came back with some nonsense.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    Well said, this catism is getting out of hand. Bloody patriarchy. "Man"'s best friend, coincidence?

The new Sony advert as well, "I can hear things you can't." Yeah, of course you can, I'm half deaf you ableist shitlord. ****ing cis scum. #SonyAreAbelist #SocialJustice #StopBullyingAndOffensiveWords #BanThingsThatOffendMe
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Our four cats, and the 5th one who has been worming her way in for months, are most indignant about this and wish to report it to Ofcom.

It is not PC, and does nothing for good relations between cats and dogs.

Don't be such a tit.
  • anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    The original Be more Dog ad is here, adds a bit of context to the subsequent ads.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member

I'd say cats are far superior to dogs as people can own a dog but cats own people!
  • Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why Cats need Felinism!

They have to put up with so much op-purr-ession from the pupriarchy!

Any body who has been hating on the cat is guilty of transspecieism
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    "BOOK!"- it's quite unpleasant to listen to.

Sharknado is extremely sharkist -it indicates all sharks ever want to do is be aggressive & eat humans.

Same with Jurassic Park/world -apart from the"dino's are extinct" get out clause:D

Slightly OT but I refer you to the "Jurassic Park from dinosaurs point of view" on Buzzfeed, sympathetic to the dinosaurs.

To be honest I'm surprised they haven't found a way to kill that cat off yet given who's been doing the o2 ads for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say cats are far superior to dogs as people can own a dog but cats own people!

If you feed a dog it thinks you are god, if you feed a cat it thinks it is god. There is something quite vain and aloof about cats I'm not keen on. Dogs are usually just more fun to be around and have around.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh so what. Dogs are better than cats;-)
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats are rubbish. Dogs are infinitely better.

And I agree with the person who said cat owners are strange. I find nothing weirder than someone who happily says something like "My cat is my master and I am just his servant". Alright, it's tongue-in-cheek, but it's still bloody weird.