The French are right about the Calais migrant crisis

Comments

• Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a French issue and whether UK belongs to EU or not makes no difference to these migrants. It's like illegals in England/Wales having freedom to get to Holyhead to get on lorries to get to Ireland. We wouldn't as a country sit back and let them cause chaos.

If there is blame for UK it is that we allowed too many to come in over the decade(s) and these lot want to join them. We can't turn back the clock now. We were too easy with illegals and our lily livered judges and money grabbing lawyers have made a fortune out of it. But this is a French issue as it stands. The migrants are in their country and we have no legal jurisdiction over what happens to these people. It's all very well television cameras showing it all but our government can't invade France to sort it out.

As for this lot who got through the tunnel they've been allowed through by Eurotunnel to pull our government in. There is no way that the tunnel is unprotected for the whole length that folks can go through it. Can you imagine them letting terrorists in to blow the tunnel up. No. Eurotunnel watched them go through and said right government we want you to sort our security out. If you don't we are just going to let them all through.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Maybe we should start mining the area around the Chunnel entrance. Although some would probably claim that would violate EU human rights legislation

Anti-personnel landmines are contrary to international law not EU Human Rights legislation
  • Forever ChangesForever Changes Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be nice to know what these gilt edged invitations and incentives to immigrants are.

probably the most generous non-contributary welfare system in the world. Free healthcare and housing; infrastructure; a soft-touch, easily manipulated asylum process; etc....

the BBC did a comparison on the benefits of settling in France V UK, and we came out easily ahead. Enough that people will continue to risk their lives to get here, and will continue dying...
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    probably the most generous non-contributary welfare system in the world. Free healthcare and housing; infrastructure; a soft-touch, easily manipulated asylum process; etc....
    Care to show some evidence of that rather than hearsay?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Care to show some evidence of that rather than hearsay?

you need to see evidence that the UK has a non-contributary welfare state, a non-contributary universal healthcare system, a social housing program, and a developed, industrialised infrastructure?

Are you living in a cave? :confused:
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Heard the Deputy Mayor of Calais o Jeremy Vine, who made a lot of sense.
    He said it was an EU problem.

He asked why are they getting in through Greece and Italy and then ending up in France.
    Why are the Greeks and Italians not stopping them ?

He was demanding a whole EU summit to pool resources to keep them out of the EU in the first place
    Forum Member
    you need to see evidence that the UK has a non-contributary welfare state, a non-contributary universal healthcare system, a social housing program, and a developed, industrialised infrastructure?

I don't believe in hearsay, I prefer hard facts. So show me the hard facts that show how these illegal immigrants are getting gilt edged invitations and incentives.

It shouldn't be hard
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe in hearsay, I prefer hard facts. So show me the hard facts that show how these illegal immigrants are getting gilt edged invitations and incentives.

It shouldn't be hard

now I know you're trolling :D
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member

Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you on their own terms. :D
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member

It shouldn't be hard

You would not want to recognise a hard fact if it bit you on the arse! :D
    Forum Member
    now I know you're trolling :D
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you on their own terms. :D

I have learnt over the years that what "everyone knows" rarely turns out to be the case. Thanks for proving me right again.
    Forum Member
    TeeGee wrote: »
    You would not want to recognise a hard fact if it bit you on the arse! :D
    Why are you so adverse to printing linking proving you are right?

What are you hiding?
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    France is a fully paid up member of the Schengen agreement. Totally free and open borders. There's not much they can do

That open border agreement is only for EU nationals. These migrants aren't European.

Best revisit your drawing board
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you so adverse to printing linking proving you are right?

What are you hiding?

did you think I believed the government was literally writing invitations to African migrants?

When somebody says 'I'm so hungry I could eat a horse', do you believe they actually want to eat a whole horse?
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't the French just deport them? They're in the country illegally, they're clearly not going to claim asylum from the French government if they're constantly trying to leave the country, so just deport them back to wherever they came from.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how France choosing to get rid of its border controls is Britain's fault :confused:
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    We are trying to prevent these getting over to england yet we are helping loads more get over the med, many of whom are bound for here. Might as well let em all in , its going to get worse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Why don't the French just deport them? They're in the country illegally, they're clearly not going to claim asylum from the French government if they're constantly trying to leave the country, so just deport them back to wherever they came from.

I don't think the French have the will or resources to deport them all. They see it as our problem. Also deport them to where? Most of the migrants probably came through Italy - there's already a row between France and Italy. Italy doesn't want them back.

They often can't prove where the migrants are originally from, since many are passport-less. Dumping them all back in a random North African location would be seen as inhumane. So at Calais they remain
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Anti-personnel landmines are contrary to international law not EU Human Rights legislation

Yes they are, but I am surprised that nobody has mentioned a proper solution, and that is electrified fencing. With a protective warning fence, signs and warnings in multiple languages, and a proper detective breach system it would prevent the constant hole cutting that is going on at the moment. Electric fencing is pretty sophisticated these days and can deliver quite a painful punch without lasting damage and modern versions are quite difficult to short and disable.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is Britain's fault.

As long as we keep offering gilt-edged invitations and incentives to immigrants, they'll keep on coming

why is everyone blaming the French? It's not their job to stop people leaving their country

What incentives and invitations are they OP?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they are, but I am surprised that nobody has mentioned a proper solution, and that is electrified fencing. With a protective warning fence, signs and warnings in multiple languages, and a proper detective breach system it would prevent the constant hole cutting that is going on at the moment. Electric fencing is pretty sophisticated these days and can deliver quite a painful punch without lasting damage and modern versions are quite difficult to short and disable.

I think that has been proposed but was met with opposition from the usual suspects - 'how dare we treat them like cattle' etc...
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    That open border agreement is only for EU nationals. These migrants aren't European.

Best revisit your drawing board

I think you fail to understand the reality of the Schengen situation..... open borders ARE for EU nationals only, but once their boats reach the Italian coastline and people are freely running around Italy, there are no (read: ZERO!) land border checkpoints between Messina and Calais - you can land in Italy, and travel by road all the way to Calais without seeing a single border official

that is how they are getting here!!! there are virtually no border controls once someone has entered Italy, they're able to travel anywhere within the continental EU without a border official asking to see a passport
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    the BBC did a comparison on the benefits of settling in France V UK, and we came out easily ahead. Enough that people will continue to risk their lives to get here, and will continue dying...

Lol you mean this one that said france pays more benefits than us in every case, the only exception being the one where children are involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33268521

You really don't know what your talking about. We take far less immigrants than many other European counties and are not any more attractive. It just seems that way because we have a sea between us and the ones who want to get here, so there is a build up.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Gluten Free foods can contain high levels of fat and sugar, as they are more difficult to make,
    and also proper Coeliacs suffer from weight loss, so Free from Foods help build them back up.

However people who choose to eat a Gluten free diet as a fad believe that all Free from Foods are more healthy than "normal foods".
    And in one American survey, they even believed Gluten free foods were healthier, even after they were told beforehand that they were higher in fat and sugar.

It is called a "health halo" and nothing anyone says will shift the idea in these people's heads that Gluten Free foods are healthier than "ordinary" foods.

Same with these migrants.
    They honestly believe they will be coming to the UK, be welcomed with open arms, walk into a good job, be given a free house, have free medical care etc etc.
    Nothing anyone says will shift this fantasy in their minds
  • sturcolsturcol Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    France is a fully paid up member of the Schengen agreement. Totally free and open borders. There's not much they can do

How stupid of them. Their fault then.