Options

Any news on Channel 5 with Big Brother?

frenchie21frenchie21 Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello there everybody,

Me and my GF were watching "Dead Set and it brought back my feelings of the program and I would love to see it come back on Channel 5.

Does anybody have any more information on wether it will?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Ruth2010Ruth2010 Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Bad news for you good news for everybody else:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a279325/channel-5s-big-brother-talks-stall.html

Thats the last update I can find.
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, I believe Channel 5 pulled out of it. Endemol were asking for too much money.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Endemol will either lower their rate or sell it to another channel. It'll be back in a year or two, I'm sure. Just don't know where.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    I hope nobody gets it as i would like to see more British drama on UK TV.
    Ian.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan, but unfortunately a lot of people were, and it makes headlines for the tabloids (especially the Daily Star, so Channel 5 withdrawing is surprising).
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I hope nobody gets it as i would like to see more British drama on UK TV.
    Ian.
    in theory yes, but Five does not have a good track record with daram, even when it makes something good "Murder Prevention" people just ignore it in droves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    I'm no fan, but unfortunately a lot of people were, and it makes headlines for the tabloids (especially the Daily Star, so Channel 5 withdrawing is surprising).
    but does Northen & Shell need the Big Brother format to continue to make headlines with formed Big Brother housemates?

I say no, there are all kinds of shows you can make with an ex BigBrother housemate, depending of course on who they are.

Such shows then get promoted in the Northen & Shell magazine, and the shows make them more famous, in theory its a never ending cycle, if Northen & Shell could find the right housemate.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    I hate to see hours and hours of Big Brother taking up the airtime and it seems to be on for months and theirs pratically nothing else on during that period. I would like to see more British TV companys spend more money on top quality UK drama and entertainment.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Private Eye has a different slant on the C5 and Endemol negotiations where the new owner Mr Desmond personally talked to Endemol and is alleged to have been less than gracious when he couldn't pick up BB for peanuts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Private Eye has a different slant on the C5 and Endemol negotiations where the new owner Mr Desmond personally talked to Endemol and is alleged to have been less than gracious when he couldn't pick up BB for peanuts.
    lets be honest he has been throwing his weight around, just ask Miss Murdochs Shine Group.

Endemol may not be keen to work with him, even more so if he is only making a small offer.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Which ever channel gets it I just hope they have 24hr live feed on a sister channel.

That is the heart of BB.
  • Options
    nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No news is good news.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desmond only goes for high-quality TV such as his Channel X
  • Options
    Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I hate to see hours and hours of Big Brother taking up the airtime and it seems to be on for months and theirs pratically nothing else on during that period. I would like to see more British TV companys spend more money on top quality UK drama and entertainment.
    Ian.

It was only on Channel 4's family of channels.

How does Big Brother airing through one broadcaster stop other channels from producing British drama? :confused:
  • Options
    frenchie21frenchie21 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys for your information. I had hoped it would be back as the BB house is still standing at Elstree Studio's.

Why would that be if the house wasn't going to be used again?
  • Options
    Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Desmond only goes for high-quality TV such as his Channel X

Yet, here are just a few programmes commissioned since Richard Desmond has signed the cheques (though some are ad-funded). I don't think they fall into the low-brow category, and some are very much PSB...

Hotel Inspector (12 x 60mins episodes)
    New extended series of Fives most popular home grown show.

Meals In Moments (15 x 10mins episodes)
    BBC2 chef Simon Rimmer will work with celebrities preparing their favourite meals

Patrolling the Waves (5 x 60mins episodes)
    Royal Navy warship HMS Manchester's work in the Caribbean working to capture South American drug smugglers

How to Take Stunning Pictures (6 x 30mins episodes)
    Expert photographers teach amateurs how to use a camera properly using various tricks of the trade

Extraordinary Dogs (13 x 20mins episodes)
    Educational series showing the various areas of canine behaviour. Plus shows the training of working and domestic dogs

Impossible (6 x 60mins episodes)
    Hosted by illusionist Philip Escoffey who will perform spectacular and unlikely challenges. Contestants need to decide if what he proposes is achievable or impossible. If they call it right, they can win a cash prize
  • Options
    hard_to_beathard_to_beat Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wozza20 wrote: »
    Yet, here are just a few programmes commissioned since Richard Desmond has signed the cheques (though some are ad-funded). I don't think they fall into the low-brow category, and some are very much PSB...

Hotel Inspector (12 x 60mins episodes)
    New extended series of Fives most popular home grown show.

Meals In Moments (15 x 10mins episodes)
    BBC2 chef Simon Rimmer will work with celebrities preparing their favourite meals

Patrolling the Waves (5 x 60mins episodes)
    Royal Navy warship HMS Manchester's work in the Caribbean working to capture South American drug smugglers

How to Take Stunning Pictures (6 x 30mins episodes)
    Expert photographers teach amateurs how to use a camera properly using various tricks of the trade

Extraordinary Dogs (13 x 20mins episodes)
    Educational series showing the various areas of canine behaviour. Plus shows the training of working and domestic dogs

Impossible (6 x 60mins episodes)
    Hosted by illusionist Philip Escoffey who will perform spectacular and unlikely challenges. Contestants need to decide if what he proposes is achievable or impossible. If they call it right, they can win a cash prize

And bloody boring as well...
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,683
    Forum Member
    You could spin this the other way too and that Endemol were being too demanding for a show that has massively waned in popularity and C4 were paying well over the odds for in its final few years.

All speculative really. The bottom line seems to be that talks broke down because the two sides couldn't agree on financials, and don't look like resuming any time soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And bloody boring as well...
    Oh, I see. So because it hasn't commissioned the cheap trash people were predicting when Desmond took over, the credible and interesting sounding factual content that has been commissioned is now being dubbed "boring."

Since all but 2 of those programmes haven't been broadcast yet, the merit of such a judgement is questionable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    You could spin this the other way too and that Endemol were being too demanding for a show that has massively waned in popularity and C4 were paying well over the odds for in its final few years.

While the show was in decline, the numbers C4 were getting for the final series would be gold dust for Five.

However while it was clear costs would have to be reduced, Desmond has to be sensible about how much you need to fund such a project.

A shame as the format is a natural fit for the channel along with the publicity that it generates for his various print brands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    While the show was in decline, the numbers C4 were getting for the final series would be gold dust for Five.

However while it was clear costs would have to be reduced, Desmond has to be sensible about how much you need to fund such a project.

A shame as the format is a natural fit for the channel along with the publicity that it generates for his various print brands.
    Whilst the numbers it was getting for its last run on C4 would be excellent for C5, it is wrong to assume it would be able to replicate the sort of numbers the final series was getting on C4 on C5 as the likelihood is it wouldn't. The whole audience would not make the transition. Still, it's a smaller channel switch than we've seen in the past (only the next channel down in the EPG) so it would be interesting to see just how much of its audience it would retain.

I'm not sure if I agree that it would be a particularly natural fit for the channel either. There wasn't an awful lot of reality TV in the C5 schedules last time I checked and certainly its programming is rather different to that of C4. So that could be a problem. But maybe it would help bring in a new audience to the channel, the sort that don't normally watch Channel 5, which can only be a good thing, providing it doesn't alienate existing viewers.

So there's a lot of risk involved. Firstly, how much of the audience would make the switch? Enough to make it profitable? Secondly, what effect would it have on the channel as a whole? Would it draw more new viewers in or drive more existing viewers away?

For those reasons I think C5 are right to treat any potential Big Brother deal with caution and make sure they don't pay over the odds. The last thing they want is to get locked into an expensive long term contract like C4.
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruth2010 wrote: »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a279325/channel-5s-big-brother-talks-stall.html

Yeah that's fantastic news :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Whilst the numbers it was getting for its last run on C4 would be excellent for C5, it is wrong to assume it would be able to replicate the sort of numbers the final series was getting on C4 on C5 as the likelihood is it wouldn't. The whole audience would not make the transition. Still, it's a smaller channel switch than we've seen in the past (only the next channel down in the EPG) so it would be interesting to see just how much of its audience it would retain.

I'm not sure if I agree that it would be a particularly natural fit for the channel either. There wasn't an awful lot of reality TV in the C5 schedules last time I checked and certainly its programming is rather different to that of C4. So that could be a problem. But maybe it would help bring in a new audience to the channel, the sort that don't normally watch Channel 5, which can only be a good thing, providing it doesn't alienate existing viewers.

So there's a lot of risk involved. Firstly, how much of the audience would make the switch? Enough to make it profitable? Secondly, what effect would it have on the channel as a whole? Would it draw more new viewers in or drive more existing viewers away?

For those reasons I think C5 are right to treat any potential Big Brother deal with caution and make sure they don't pay over the odds. The last thing they want is to get locked into an expensive long term contract like C4.

The problem is the reality shows they had in the past were commissioned by RTL who had a different editorial policy for the channel with regards to it's reality output. Clearly Desmond didn't get the return on the last god awful talent show they put out and withheld payment to Shine who produced Don't Stop Believing.

I'm sure we'll see cheaper reality formats on Five under Richard Desmond which will generate publicity for his various publications, but as you say it won't be an expensive format such as BB.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frenchie21 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for your information. I had hoped it would be back as the BB house is still standing at Elstree Studio's.

Why would that be if the house wasn't going to be used again?

Because no final decision has been made.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruth2010 wrote: »

Good.

End of then.

No doubt there will be a wash of demands for it back in the summer but once that passes hopefully it can go to the history of TV where it belongs.