Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    FanFICTION !!! I really thought that this story was entertaining just because it was such a departure from the 'lovely Louisa' stories. While I agree it would be an extremely unlikely pairing, it allowed us to see another way of dealing with our very socially repressed Doc. The humor and irreverance of Pauline just bypassed the drama of Louisa in the series.
    While I have enjoyed pretty much all that I have read, the most entertaining are those that really take the characters outside the boundaries of the series. More than just the 'happily ever after' endings.

I like them best when there IS an ending -- there's one that's obviously unfinished where the last chapter has a distressed Louisa wading into the ocean......:eek:

I think Bodmin and Robspace and Mona (and others) do a great job of keeping the character of DM within the series frame, yet putting him and Louisa into novel situations.

And a new chapter of the latest James Henry adventures has been posted, which I am also enjoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I like them best when there IS an ending -- there's one that's obviously unfinished where the last chapter has a distressed Louisa wading into the ocean......:eek:

I think Bodmin and Robspace and Mona (and others) do a great job of keeping the character of DM within the series frame, yet putting him and Louisa into novel situations.

And a new chapter of the latest James Henry adventures has been posted, which I am also enjoying.

Yes, I have started looking for complete stories. I was reading all the short ones but found many unfinished. I too was disappointed that one you referred to was not finished.

Also, I often search by the author and that way the ratings are bypassed as I knew I had read some pretty racy stuff.
  • ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    One other thing I find a bit annoying about MCs petulant references to his sagging acting career is that other actors have to travel or actually live in the US to be given a chance in the big roles. He can't expect to be give juicy roles with the limitation that he doesn't move further than 200km from the farm gate.

Life is about choices. MC has made his in putting his personal life above his work. That is not to say he's made a "wrong" decision just that, if that's one's decision, it's not helpful to "complain" about the fallout.

It's not unlike people who put their careers first and end up with a nanny, being away from home a lot, etc. and then complain that they never see their kids.

It's also true that there are more and varied acting opportunities in the US than there are in the UK. So, if you want to stay home -- and especially close to a home that isn't in the heart of the UK movie/TV/theater districts -- you take what you get. Understand why MC might not want to work in the US but, again, not doing so is a choice that has potential consequences.

MC should actually be very thankful that DM came long and that he made it what it is today. A LOT of actors toil in obscurity and poverty their entire careers. He has made a character and series successful largely, although not exclusively, on the strength of his acting. That's something to cherish and be proud of.

One thing his recent comments tell me . . . S6 will almost certainly be the end.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »
    Life is about choices. MC has made his in putting his personal life above his work. That is not to say he's made a "wrong" decision just that, if that's one's decision, it's not helpful to "complain" about the fallout.

It's not unlike people who put their careers first and end up with a nanny, being away from home a lot, etc. and then complain that they never see their kids.

It's also true that there are more and varied acting opportunities in the US than there are in the UK. So, if you want to stay home -- and especially close to a home that isn't in the heart of the UK movie/TV/theater districts -- you take what you get. Understand why MC might not want to work in the US but, again, not doing so is a choice that has potential consequences.

MC should actually be very thankful that DM came long and that he made it what it is today. A LOT of actors toil in obscurity and poverty their entire careers. He has made a character and series successful largely, although not exclusively, on the strength of his acting. That's something to cherish and be proud of.

One thing his recent comments tell me . . . S6 will almost certainly be the end.:(

Well said, ggo. I feel less now like the last act has been written for DM than I did a few months ago. I think, also, it was interesting, that MC, himself, rather proudly yesterday pointed to himself as a doctor and to his success with the show. His snarky remarks earlier this week remind me of something I heard many years ago: If you want to see how little sympathy you can get from those around you, try complaining about being successful. He's entitled to his feelings, but some things are better told to friends and family over a beer.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow -- he looks great! And I like the DM haircut.

Yes, very fit and smiley!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »

To be honest, I wonder just what "roles" perhaps MC is worried he won't get. He's had too long term smashing series, the comedy Men Behaving Badly, and of course the comedy-drama Doc Martin. That's amazing and more than a lot of actors experience in life. He's busy with documentaries he loves to do, and has been in many other TV movies, and films. I don't really know what he feels he may start missing out on, or what else he wants to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    To be honest, I wonder just what "roles" perhaps MC is worried he won't get. He's had too long term smashing series, the comedy Men Behaving Badly, and of course the comedy-drama Doc Martin. That's amazing and more than a lot of actors experience in life. He's busy with documentaries he loves to do, and has been in many other TV movies, and films. I don't really know what he feels he may start missing out on, or what else he wants to do.

Melanie Griffith once said you need $50million to live on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So I guess MC has a little more income to earn!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's good MC aspires to more. I want to see him spread his wings further, too! Is it enough for him to continue to play assorted minor one-off roles or does he want to be a major player in something grand and significant? If it's the latter, it's likely he'll have to develop it. He is at the prime of his life, and at the prime of his acting career. If he wants it (and I would LOVE to see it) I say just stop complaining and make it happen. No actor I know has more talent and resources to create his artistic future than Martin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup, do you think there's a remote possibility that they're filming London scenes? not on the streets or we would probably have heard about it, but some interiors? That would be very interesting. But it is a very Doc-Martin-ish haircut.

Well, the possibility is probably just a product of my fevered brain, but it did cross my mind. At least two of the recent articles about his reaction to Churchill said, "He’s currently filming a new series of Doc Martin, a comedy in which he stars as the title character, a brilliant vascular surgeon who develops a fear of blood and ends up taking a post in a quiet seaside village." See, there's that word. "Currently". It could just be a mistake or a generalization (as in, it's happening this year) that a couple of sites repeated without realizing it's not exactly accurate. Or ???

He does have the haircut already.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie Griffith once said you need $50million to live on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So I guess MC has a little more income to earn!

Yes, I find it impossible to live on a penny less than $50 million. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Yes, I find it impossible to live on a penny less than $50 million. :p

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder that too. Seems to me he's in a really good place in his career. He's got good old reliable Doc Martin still going strong. He's landed some excellent supporting roles ("The Town", "A Mother's Son") just like he said he wanted. He and PB have their own production company and probably could come up with some more ideas they could sell to ITV or another network. The documentaries just keep on coming.

Maybe he was just looking toward the future when he had that little pity party and was thinking about reduced opportunities once he gets quite a bit older. Sounds like he's hoping to get the farm running as a profitable venture before that day comes, and that's a smart thing to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's good MC aspires to more. I want to see him spread his wings further, too! Is it enough for him to continue to play assorted minor one-off roles or does he want to be a major player in something grand and significant? If it's the latter, it's likely he'll have to develop it. He is at the prime of his life, and at the prime of his acting career. If he wants it (and I would LOVE to see it) I say just stop complaining and make it happen. No actor I know has more talent and resources to create his artistic future than Martin.

I agree with you, statesidefan. If spreading his wings is what he wants, I'd love to see it, and it seems to me he could probably make it happen. It's hard to know exactly what it is he's going for in that interview. Maybe we'll know more when Connie gets a print copy with the full interview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I totally agree. Pauline isn't intelligent enough for DM (eye colour discussion) and her capacity to change is limited too (eg filing system, computer appointment book).

*snip*

A vet would be a great option for him! Think of all the conflict! I don't know one get who doesn't have a FEW pets!! He'd have to fall for her before he found out she was a vet.

Yikes! :eek:

I originally made comments using that story as an illustration of what the problem is with Louisa-IMHO she does treat Martin like a school boy. I also stated that I could see the relationship between Pauline and Martin work as detailed in that story (which is a piece of fan fiction, BTW) and that was like throwing a gas can on a fire with some because I dared to be an Iconoclast. Quite frankly I was rather surprised by it because I did not realize the depths of the Orthodoxy...

I am sorry but I really dislike snobbishness. I have had to put up with it alot during my life and my marriage.

The one thing you are failing to see is that being 'educated' is not an automatic indicator of 'intelligence'.

Now...

If I were using your 'logic' than my master mechanic father who ran Rum across the border during Prohibition was not 'intelligent' enough to marry my mother who, besides being the "Black Sheep' of the family because my Italian grandfather's views on what women should be and do, was:
    • The daughter of an orchestra conductor/D.M. and professor
    • A Violinist in an orchestra
    • Obtained her private pilots license in 1939 and was a WASP in World War II
    • Had a masters degree in Psychology
    • Managed a major marketing research firm in the 1960's when most women were stay at home moms/teachers/nurses
    • Served on the planning commission of our city.
    Their marriage lasted 55 years until my dad died.

If I were using your 'logic' then my janitor uncle was not 'intelligent' enough to marry my aunt who was:
    • The daughter of an orchestra conductor/D.M. and professor
    • PhD and Head of the German Language department at a major university.
    • Was pretty damned good on a Viola-never played professionally but could have if she had desired to
    Their marriage lasted 32 years until my uncle was killed in an auto accident.

If I were using your 'logic' than Louisa is not 'intelligent' enough to even be in the picture given the backgroud of Martin's character. Your 'vet' would not be in the picture, either, given the background of Martin's character. Using your 'logic' both of them would have just about the same 'shot' at it as Pauline would which is none. All you are left with is the nature of human attraction which overrides all-it doesn't look at CV's and is an individualized mystery for in the examples from my family above none of them should have been attracted to one another much less end up married to one another. It appears that you do not quite grasp that given your comments about Pauline. You can not accept anyone other that Louisa or your 'vet' to be paired up with Martin even in a fan fiction story which to me is rather rigid and snobby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I wonder that too. Seems to me he's in a really good place in his career. He's got good old reliable Doc Martin still going strong. He's landed some excellent supporting roles ("The Town", "A Mother's Son") just like he said he wanted. He and PB have their own production company and probably could come up with some more ideas they could sell to ITV or another network. The documentaries just keep on coming.

Maybe he was just looking toward the future when he had that little pity party and was thinking about reduced opportunities once he gets quite a bit older. Sounds like he's hoping to get the farm running as a profitable venture before that day comes, and that's a smart thing to do.

You know, Biff, that's a good point. They have a production company. Couldn't they send out a note they want to produce a TV movie, say, starring MC in the title role and have some writer create it for them? They have "in"s with ITV at least, one would think. Couldn't Buffalo Productions create the types of roles MC himself would want to act in?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I originally made comments using that story as an illustration of what the problem is with Louisa-IMHO she does treat Martin like a school boy

I actually quite like that point, which has gotten lost in the shuffle.

It reminds me somewhat of the Eric Berne theory as laid out in "I'm OK, You're OK" (which most of you are probably too young to remember). He talks about each of us having three selves -- a Child (which never quite goes away), a Parent, largely composed of things which we heard from our own parents (possibly analogous to the superego) and an Adult.

So he points out that relationships go awry when the Parent of one person is talking to the Child in the other and vice-versa. He makes the point, I think, that it is almost always reciprocal. And it can be Parent to other Adult also.

Child-Child of course is often a recipe for disaster, (although sometimes quite fun!) and Parent-Parent for at least joylessness. Parent to Adult is not good either! Often that results in eliciting "Child" in the other.

What he thinks we should aim for is Adult-Adult relationships.

So, sometimes we have the dynamic duo of our series behaving as Child-Child -- we'll see plenty of that in
    Series 4. Sometimes we see Louisa as Parent lecturing an Adult who then responds as a child. And, I think that sometimes we see Louisa responding as a Child to Martin's adult behavior -- prescribing antibiotics for her UTI, which she spitefully refuses. Maybe it's a stretch, but I think large parts of S5 can be seen as Martin as Parent to Louisa as disorganized Child. And there are times when Martin behaves as a Child -- I think of him knocking at her door and then running away!

So what we hope for them is mostly Adult to Adult, and Louisa telling Martin how to run his practice or deal with Portwennians is definitely not that.

And if your point is, that the Pauline in the story treats Martin always as an Adult and he responds to that, I can see that.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have been hoping that hitting "the big 5-0" wouldn't trigger a midlife crisis. So far I don't think it has from what I know in the media.

I do think, however, that he may be at a point where realizing that at 51, at least half of his life is over and there is probably less to come. So he may just be realistically reflecting what many aging actors do: a worry about future acting possibilities. At the same time, he is only 51 and still can see a lot of work years he hopes to be active, especially if he really loves what he does, the challenge of a new role, the creativity, etc.

He so frequently has said that he is self-employed and it goes with the territory to wonder where the next job will come from. A common concern among the self-employed.

He also has made the decision that "work should feed your life" not be the end-all and be-all. In that department he seems to have managed a career, done his share of charity work, developed a healthy family and friends life, and found his own happiness as an individual in the process. So he balances all those things and seems to do it as a pretty emotionally, physically and mentally healthy person, who seems to spread happiness and joy to others through his demeanor, from all reports.

I find him a complex and intelligent person, who isn't afraid to reveal himself as an ordinary human man--not just a fake star. So opposite the Doc, btw! And talks about the things that are important, funny, or that he loves (like Ronnie and Bruce, the farm, lambing, camper vans, etc) in the process. That's the Martin Clunes I see, and that I can admire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yikes! :eek:

You can not accept anyone other that Louisa or your 'vet' to be paired up with Martin even in a fan fiction story which to me is rather rigid and snobby.

Clearly what I said has upset you and I am sorry for that. I did not intend for my comment that I could not see Pauline and DM together to be snobby or rigid. If that is how it came across I am sorry.

We will have to agree to disagree because I still can't see them together. The vet comment was purely tongue in cheek and meant as a joke.

I like watching DM and hope that DM and LG relationship will end happily and with a quite few loose ends tied up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been hoping that hitting "the big 5-0" wouldn't trigger a midlife crisis. So far I don't think it has from what I know in the media.

I do think, however, that he may be at a point where realizing that at 51, at least half of his life is over and there is probably less to come. So he may just be realistically reflecting what many aging actors do: a worry about future acting possibilities. At the same time, he is only 51 and still can see a lot of work years he hopes to be active, especially if he really loves what he does, the challenge of a new role, the creativity, etc.

He so frequently has said that he is self-employed and it goes with the territory to wonder where the next job will come from. A common concern among the self-employed.

He also has made the decision that "work should feed your life" not be the end-all and be-all. In that department he seems to have managed a career, done his share of charity work, developed a healthy family and friends life, and found his own happiness as an individual in the process. So he balances all those things and seems to do it as a pretty emotionally, physically and mentally healthy person, who seems to spread happiness and joy to others through his demeanor, from all reports.

I find him a complex and intelligent person, who isn't afraid to reveal himself as an ordinary human man--not just a fake star. So opposite the Doc, btw! And talks about the things that are important, funny, or that he loves (like Ronnie and Bruce, the farm, lambing, camper vans, etc) in the process. That's the Martin Clunes I see, and that I can admire.

Well put, Susie.

Harrison Ford didn't start acting professionally until he was in his 40's.

He turned down Kevin Costner's roles in JFK (1991), The Untouchables (1987), Dragonfly (2002), the role of Jack Ryan in The Hunt for Red October (1990) and The Sum of All Fears (2002), Russell Crowe's role in Proof of Life (2000), Nick Nolte's roles in Cape Fear (1991) and The Thin Red Line (1998), Warren Beatty's role as Dick Tracy (1990), Liam Neeson's role in Schindler's List (1993), Mel Gibson's role in The Patriot (2000), George Clooney's roles in The Perfect Storm (2000) and Syriana (2005), Val Kilmer's role in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005), a proposed sequel to The Fugitive (1993), and Tom Skerritt's role in Alien (1979) .

That seems like an incredibly long list of roles to turn down doesn't it? Even without all those roles he's been very successful.

I wonder how many roles MC has turned down?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I And, I think that sometimes we see Louisa responding as a Child to Martin's adult behavior -- prescribing antibiotics for her UTI, which she spitefully refuses. Maybe it's a stretch, but I think large parts of S5 can be seen as Martin as Parent to Louisa as disorganized Child. And there are times when Martin behaves as a Child -- I think of him knocking at her door and then running away!

The boiled egg for dinner scene in s5 is another time when LG behaved like a child to DM's adult behaviour.

So we are hoping for more Adult-Adult in s6. :) Do you think they consciously portrayed them as Parent/Child etc or do you think they just thought of funny (to them) scenes which portrayed disfunction?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The boiled egg for dinner scene in s5 is another time when LG behaved like a child to DM's adult behaviour.

So we are hoping for more Adult-Adult in s6. :) Do you think they consciously portrayed them as Parent/Child etc or do you think they just thought of funny (to them) scenes which portrayed disfunction?

Oh, I think the latter. The whole "Im OK - You're OK" is sort of 60's. I doubt that they are consciously aware of it. It's otherwise known as transactional analysis (as I recall) and there is or was a whole system of therapy based on it.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wonder how many roles MC has turned down?

The only one I know about is Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie because it clashed with his wedding anniversary. That was a long time ago though. He's even more settled now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTPlsOVmwbU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    The only one I know about is Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie because it clashed with his wedding anniversary. That was a long time ago though. He's even more settled now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTPlsOVmwbU

Connie he also turned down playing DM in america! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I think the latter. The whole "Im OK - You're OK" is sort of 60's. I doubt that they are consciously aware of it. It's otherwise known as transactional analysis (as I recall) and there is or was a whole system of therapy based on it.

Yes my father bought the book and I still have it (I'm a shocking hoarder:cry:). I have never understood it as clearly as when you explained it using examples from DM. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I'd share another little exchange with Dominic Minghella:

To DM: "Hi, Dominic. Can U tell me when you left Doc Martin, did you leave them with a plot plan for the show we now see - and beyond?"

From DM: "If I told you, I'd have to kill you!"

Most amusing death threat I've gotten today. :)
This discussion has been closed.