Options

"Freemen on the Land" twaddle

be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
Forum Member
✭✭
YouTube seems to be awash with videos featuring various Frank Gallagher types trying to convince security guards, census collectors, TV licencing officials and even police officers that statute law doesn't apply to them because they have "opted-out" and have no contract with the state.

So is all this "Freemen" twaddle just a handy way to confuse low-level authority figures? It clearly doesn't stand-up in court:

NOT SO "FREEMEN"
  • Elizabeth Watson, aka Elizabeth of the Watson Family, who came to public attention in 2011 as a self-styled legal adviser in the Victoria Haigh child custody case, was given a nine-month suspended sentence for contempt of court. She had written "no contract" on court documents, denied the lawful authority of the proceedings, and used the "of the ..... family" format when referring to Ms Haigh and herself. (The custody case had concerned false allegations that the child's father was a paedophile.)[2]
  • Mark Bond, aka Mark of the Family Bond, a Norfolk, England odd-job man, was arrested in 2010 for non-payment of council tax, despite handing police a "notice of intent" stating that he was no longer a UK citizen. He told police that the notice had already been delivered to the Queen and the prime minister. He told the local paper: "Today I asked the judge to walk into the court under common law and not commercial law. If I had entered under commercial law it would prove that I accepted its law. I was denied my rights to go in there." He was sentenced to three months custody, suspended on condition that he pay off the debt at £20 a week.[3]
  • Dean Marshall, of Preston, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, was taken to court after he was found to be growing 26 cannabis plants in his garden shed. Claiming he was a Freeman on the Land and therefore not guilty, he then attempted to call up Queen Elizabeth II and David Cameron as his witnesses, although he was told that neither were available to attend. A jury at Hull Crown Court dismissed his claims and convicted him of conspiracy to produce cannabis for which he was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work. [6]
  • Doug Jones, of Pembroke Dock, Wales, spent 22 days in prison after refusing to take a breath test. Jones questioned the authority and jurisdiction of the court, asking to see the judge's 'Oath of Office' which resulted in a sentence of fourteen days for contempt of court. He was sentenced to a further seven days after failing to attend a second hearing, but pleaded guilty to the original charges, receiving an endorsement on his driving license. His interest in the Freemen on the Land movement started after watching documentaries on conspiracy theories surrounding the 9/11 and 7/7 bombings. His solicitor, Phillipa Ashworth, stated “On this occasion, in hindsight he appreciates it was not the time to test out philosophical theories behind this approach to life, and in hindsight it isn’t something he would do again.”[7]
  • Gavin Kaylhem, of Grimsby, England, wilfully refused to pay his council tax debts of £1,268.54 accrued between 2001 and 2008 and was sentenced to 30 days imprisonment. He had claimed that he was a "Freeman" and thus had no contractual duty under Common Law to pay. He refused to co-operate with magistrates' questions.[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemen_on_the_land