Options

Madonna and her Artistic Downfall?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,561
Forum Member
✭✭
Madonna has released some classic pop songs, some amazing songs like Like A Prayer, Frozen, Ray of Light, Ghosttown but this new one is truly awful!

Dilpo also said that Madonna is been crucified and ignored by radio - she has had one maybe two top 40 hits since 2009. I agree that Ghosttown is a great song yet it failed to chart in America and stalled at No.117 here.

However Bitch I'm Madonna is awful, Truely dreadful.

Is Madonna losing her artistic creditability?

Comments

• Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She still has a massive #1 inside her I believe
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if she ever had any credibility, it was left behind a few decades ago

remember of course that's she's reliant on other people to make her music for her, so she's not completely to blame, although at the end of the day the tracks offered to her record company for potential release will have been approved by her, so ultimately she is responsible for what she allows to be put out under her name

it's pretty common than an artist has a good stream of output followed by a stream of stuff that's not as good. from bowie to steve wonder, they can have an almost faultless set of releases for a while and one day it dries up. the only thing that the artists have in common is the quality ends as the artists age and/or get successful financially
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I really think the main problem with the likes of ageing icons like Madge and Kylie is that they simply don't appeal to young fanbases. Radio is largely to blame for this as they refuse to play music by older pop stars, hence sending out the message that they are naff and "uncool".
    The singles chart is ruled by the yoof.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    David Zowie should've got Madonna to do the vocals for House Every Weekend.

Can't get any worse than those atrocious "vocals" used in the song.

In short, Madonna needs to featured on a big club hit if she stands any chance of getting another hit single. Remember, it was the Benny Benassi remix of Celebration that got the single to #3 in the UK charts. I doubt the original Paul Oakenfold version would've sold as much (even though I much preferred the album version).
  • Options
    SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    But I really think the main problem with the likes of ageing icons like Madge and Kylie is that they simply don't appeal to young fanbases. Radio is largely to blame for this as they refuse to play music by older pop stars, hence sending out the message that they are naff and "uncool".
    The singles chart is ruled by the yoof.

Exactly and that's why they both need to stop chasing hit singles that they will probably never get again. To be honest, I think it bothers their fans more that they can't get another substantial hit. I doubt Madonna and Kylie care. After all, they've had about 100 top 20 hits in the U.K. between them. They can still sell a reasonable amount of albums without a hit single.

It's a shame that the biggest hit from Rebel Heart is the worst track on the album, but there are still some great songs on it including the beautiful Ghosttown. However, I would like Madonna to stop working with so many people on one album and just work with one or two co-writers and producers next time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She needs to go back to basics.

Her greatest songs came from albums that touched the heartstrings and subjects that were obviously about subjects that were profound to her.

For example Ray of Light was about her daughter Lourdes and it was an amazing album full of depth and meaning and Like A Prayer was about her Catholic childhood and her Father which was also an amazing album.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Bitch I'm madonna but i can see why some dislike it. It's production is a bit full on and in fact, the song as a whole doesn't really show or represent the feel and sound of the album to make people want to buy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Bitch I'm madonna but i can see why some dislike it. It's production is a bit full on and in fact, the song as a whole doesn't really show or represent the feel and sound of the album to make people want to buy it.

How can she make crap like this and decent stuff like Ghosttown?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    How can she make crap like this and decent stuff like Ghosttown?

I don't think Ghost town is as amazing as fans have made it out to be if i am honest
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »
    Exactly and that's why they both need to stop chasing hit singles that they will probably never get again. To be honest, I think it bothers their fans more that they can't get another substantial hit. I doubt Madonna and Kylie care. After all, they've had about 100 top 20 hits in the U.K. between them. They can still sell a reasonable amount of albums without a hit single.

It's a shame that the biggest hit from Rebel Heart is the worst track on the album, but there are still some great songs on it including the beautiful Ghosttown. However, I would like Madonna to stop working with so many people on one album and just work with one or two co-writers and producers next time.

bib: Yes. She needs a William Orbit type producer.

And maybe go a bit old school and, get someone like Patrick Leonard to write for her again.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    She still has a massive #1 inside her I believe

She certainly still has a massive #2 inside her. But the laxatives should shift it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She certainly still has a massive #2 inside her. But the laxatives should shift it.

Radio refuse to play her music and that is why she is not having hit singles anymore.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say she's had an artistic downfall. She's just, and forgive my crudeness, old. She can't replicate her most successful music as it is from a different time, yet reinventions will never work for that very reason. She's a legend, but she's had her day. Aging artists like her, Celine Dion, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey etc. are all past their best and will never reclaim the glory they once had, but that's not a bad thing. And as long as they keep making music for their FANS to enjoy, which are the only people who really listen to their music at this stage in their career, then there really is no issue.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    She needs to go back to basics.

Her greatest songs came from albums that touched the heartstrings and subjects that were obviously about subjects that were profound to her.

For example Ray of Light was about her daughter Lourdes and it was an amazing album full of depth and meaning and Like A Prayer was about her Catholic childhood and her Father which was also an amazing album.

Agreed!

My personal fave Madonna album is True Blue but I would say that ROL and LAP are her best, they were full of seemingly 'grown up' songs with deep lyrics and their ballads really showed off Madonna's vocal range and emotion (Pray For Spanish Eyes and To Have/Not To Hold being good examples).

Imo, Pat Leonard/Steve Bray/William Orbit are and always have been Madonna's best song-writing partners and she really could do with their help if she ever wants to have another hit song!

As for BIM, I like the video but not the song!
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »

it's pretty common than an artist has a good stream of output followed by a stream of stuff that's not as good. from bowie to steve wonder, they can have an almost faultless set of releases for a while and one day it dries up. the only thing that the artists have in common is the quality ends as the artists age and/or get successful financially

Some artists of course have a renaissance in the latter part of their careers: Tony Bennett, Johnny Cash, Van Morrison, Leonard Cohen, Tina Turner, Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, Kate Bush, Graham Parker, David Bowie?....maybe Madonna will go away for a while and then reappear renewed and reappraised?
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Some artists of course have a renaissance in the latter part of their careers: Tony Bennett, Johnny Cash, Van Morrison, Leonard Cohen, Tina Turner, Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, Kate Bush, Graham Parker, David Bowie?....maybe Madonna will go away for a while and then reappear renewed and reappraised?

Can't wait for Madge's Rick Rubin album!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

maybe. but that's a different thing from what is being discussed

however as an example, none of those artists have both been hugely popular artists at the peak of their talented period and then came back and had a popular period where the work was genuinely considered by most to be as good as that when they were most popular. most of those artists second wind is due to the nostalgia tours. as much as folk rate the last bowie album, if anyone was being honest without the rose tinted glasses they would admit it's not a patch on the 70s stuff

like dolly parton and tony bennett she could keep touring the hits as a nostalgia act for a long time. she doesn't even need to be too healthy to do it as her audience are used to her miming so she can just mime to backing tapes of her hits with some dancers on the stage. not much different from what she's done over the past few years

but in regards to the topic, her music is unlikely to come out of the dumper now. it's been there for far too long
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »

that would be interesting for a minute. accoustic reworkings of old hits and covers of "cool" classics to make the artist seem diverse, even though they are covering the most cliched tracks from blue and harvest and VU etc. duran got tanked for that
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Madonna has stated many times and does not hide the fact she mimes to some songs ( the ones she dances usually 3 or 4 songs per tour) the rest of the show is sung live as anybody who has actually attended will confirm.

OP sorry to go off topic but the usual suspect is back where he/she likes best ie slating Madonna.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    maybe. but that's a different thing from what is being discussed

however as an example, none of those artists have both been hugely popular artists at the peak of their talented period and then came back and had a popular period where the work was genuinely considered by most to be as good as that when they were most popular. most of those artists second wind is due to the nostalgia tours. as much as folk rate the last bowie album, if anyone was being honest without the rose tinted glasses they would admit it's not a patch on the 70s stuff

like dolly parton and tony bennett she could keep touring the hits as a nostalgia act for a long time. she doesn't even need to be too healthy to do it as her audience are used to her miming so she can just mime to backing tapes of her hits with some dancers on the stage. not much different from what she's done over the past few years

but in regards to the topic, her music is unlikely to come out of the dumper now. it's been there for far too long

The topic is artistic credibility. An artist doesn't have to scale the dizzy heights of their earlier works to maintain or restore artistic credibility. E.g. Neil Diamond's '12 Songs', Johnny Cash and 'American lll, lv, v', Graham Parker (Three Chords Good, Mystery Glue), Bowie (The Next Day) etc etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »

Maybe a William Orbit revisit or an ENO collaboration?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The topic is artistic credibility. An artist doesn't have to scale the dizzy heights of their earlier works to maintain or restore artistic credibility. E.g. Neil Diamond's '12 Songs', Johnny Cash and 'American lll, lv, v', Graham Parker (Three Chords Good, Mystery Glue), Bowie (The Next Day) etc etc.

you clearly misunderstand. it's pointless trying to explain to you
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Madonna, but I feel she has no artistic output to fall back on with the last 3 albums. She's still attempting the shock factor to gain media coverage but her music is lazy and a woman of her age shouldn't need the shock tactics. She should be a matured artist by now. I wish she'd go back to the days when she was actually creative with music, or, like in the 80's, just release some great pop albums.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Madonna has been in decline for years
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would seem like Madonna or Kylie would have to collaborate with a modern artist to get a number 1 which both can do much better than