Star Trek

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    5/5 but weakest link was unfortunately Simon Pegg's Scotty. Too 'zany' as someone else put it.

Loved the bit with Enterprise coming out of warp firing all lasers/photon torpedos.
  • geoffSFgeoffSF Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the movie tonight. Going to use spoiler tags just to be safe...

That Romulan bastard, firing a drill laser into the city that I call home. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I saw this last night, on the main screen at EMPIRE Leicester Square no less, and thought it was great! :D

I was slightly worried it wouldn't live up to expectations but it was fine. Very action packed, really funny too. I haven't really seen any of TOS but have seen most of the films and this one reminded me alot of those which is great. It's alot better than some of the later TNG films too.

Had read reviews that Chris Pine was a bit bland but I thought he was great, as were all the actors.
    Thought the time travel idea was a good one in order to get round Trek history. Gives them a clean sheet to do whatever they want from now on I spose.

Had a bit of wobbly camera overkill at some points and I thought the villain was a bit lame but apart from that... I'd say 8.5-9 out of 10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    thought it was one of the best movies i've seen since iron man.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    More of the average joe-public needs to be brought around to see this film- I thought it was really good and I aint a Trekkie only seen the original shows back in the day and one or two films.. or should I say parts of.

The Cinema I went to was pretty empty however (friday night 7pm) and full of nerds. Nothing compared to a couple of weeks before Wolverine (shit film) at the same time.

Not a real buzz going around about this move in the main stream. Haven't seen many TV specials like they do on Channel 4 / itv etc with the likes of Wolverine or 007. There doesn't seem to be much hype about it or things in the Papers etc.

Theres loads of stuff YouTube about the other summer films Wolverene and Terminator but Star Trek seems sidelined.

No were near the attention of other long running Big franchises like a new James Bond movie or Star Wars etc. I guess Star Trek in the past has been so disappointing and came crashing down in such a boring geek fest that its image has been tarnished badly. Although this film really does get out of this mess - I'm getting the feeling people aren't bothered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    One question though: Is the Spock/Uhuru thing new to this movie as I don't recall there ever being any feelings between them before?[/QUOTE]

That is because their future has yet to be written because their timeline had been changed by the Romulan.
    All those videos/DVD's you bought of the last umpteen episodes will need to be thrown out because most of the episodes wont have happened!
    :D
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno late8, when I saw it at 6pm on Friday the cinema (284 seats) probably had about a hundred people. That's not bad for that time of day. Mostly it was couples, maybe a few blokes on their own and a dad with his son, so I think it's appealing to new audiences not old fans.

Every review I've seen or heard has been very positive (except Tom Paulin on BBC Two) - five stars all round - and the marketing has been subtle but effective. Maybe the distributors have decided that it's good enough to stand on its own merits instead of being flogged to death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on Thursday. I enjoyed it, but I'm a little shocked by the overwhelmingly positive response it's received. I certainly think it had a lot of mainstream appeal, but I didn't feel it was necessarily anything spectacular - as others have mentioned on the thread, it was an out-of-the-box 'Trek' storyline, quite broadly characterised and had a number of awkward plot-holes.

I can't help but feel if this was a generic "action/sci-fi/space movie" it wouldn't receive half as much goodwill and praise. Too harsh/cynical? Perhaps... ;)
    Did anyone notice the perfect Shatnerism that Pine gave at the end?

I actually found all the mannerisms a little misjudged; kind of spoilt the cinematic illusion for me - a heavy-handed "nod-and-a-wink" too far...
  • mcalmcal Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patch64 wrote: »

One question though: Is the Spock/Uhuru thing new to this movie as I don't recall there ever being any feelings between them before?

In the original series nothing ever happened between them although Uhura did have feeling for Spock and this was shown in a few episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paulcan38 wrote: »
    5/5 but weakest link was unfortunately Simon Pegg's Scotty. Too 'zany' as someone else put it.

I thought he did okay. He looked like James Doohan & the Scottish accent was also suitably shonky. ;)

More jarring was Zachary Quinto who did occasionally veer into Sylar territory.

He needs to become more impassive & quizzical in the sequels.

Minor quibbles though for what is an impressive reboot.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyable but..
    Can't believe they stole the plot of the last Trek movie - Romulan with a chip on his shoulder blowing up planets. At least in Nemesis you had someone cool like Shinzon, here we have some dick with bad tattoos.:confused:

Doubt there was a single Star Trek fan in the boardroom when they approved this plot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to stress, i have never ever seen ANYTHING to do with Star Trek, never got the hype, it always flew over my head....

but i saw the film tonight with open eyes and i LOVED IT. I can sit and watch a film of Star Trek but not a whole series.:p

Loved this though, Zachary sure did look like Spock, i found the guy who played Kirk abit annoying at the beginning but he came round in the head.

4/5 :)
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Enjoyable but..
    Can't believe they stole the plot of the last Trek movie - Romulan with a chip on his shoulder blowing up planets. At least in Nemesis you had someone cool like Shinzon, here we have some dick with bad tattoos.:confused:

Doubt there was a single Star Trek fan in the boardroom when they approved this plot.

Don't think we really need to spoiler tag stuff in a thread about the film do we?

Shinzon was in no way cool. He was a pantomime villain in a dreadful Trek film. Eric Bana acted far better than Tom Hardy did in Nemesis, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    its awesome
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    RE The Spock/Uhura stuff, in the original series, wasn't William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols' kiss as Kirk/Uhura the first interracial kiss to be shown on screen?

Saw the movie earlier today and loved it :D:D agree with Karl Urban stealing the show. HATED Scotty, thought Simon Pegg's acting was hammy and his accent was awful. His tribble stole his scenes 'get down from there!' lol :D
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Don't think we really need to spoiler tag stuff in a thread about the film do we?

Shinzon was in no way cool. He was a pantomime villain in a dreadful Trek film. Eric Bana acted far better than Tom Hardy did in Nemesis, too.

Nemesis is on now, much better.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    The prize for most random casting must go to George Kirk - played by none other than Kim from Home & Away, lol.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paulcan38 wrote: »
    That is because their future has yet to be written because their timeline had been changed by the Romulan.
    All those videos/DVD's you bought of the last umpteen episodes will need to be thrown out because most of the episodes wont have happened!
    :D

Except they have happened...
    the movie exists in a parallel timeline, separate to the TOS-Nemesis timeline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    Nice to hear the good reviews. I am considering going to see it, but would an aging fan such as myself who's first experience of ST was the original series (in black and white!) and who has enjoyed everything except DS9 enjoy this film do you think?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    patch64 wrote: »
    I totally loved this film. Must have been really difficult to cast the characters as the originals are so iconic now but they did a really good job...especially Karl Urban as McCoy. True there are some plot problems but the sheer pace, look and panache of the film helps overcome that to a degree. Way better than the last Trek movie 'Nemisis' btw, but then again would be hard not to be:)

One question though: Is the Spock/Uhuru thing new to this movie as I don't recall there ever being any feelings between them before?

LOL, I thought Nemesis was rubbish the first time I watched it, too, but I quite enjoyed it the second time.

Regarding the Spock/Uhuru "thing", well I haven't see this movie, but if you are referring to a romantic type "thing" then there wasn't much, but I do seem to remember an episode of the original series where something occurred, and I'm fairly sure in one of the movies there was something alluded to.

Mind you, since Uhuru and Spock worked quite closely together in 3 series and several films, it would be very difficult for the writers to resist alluding to something. They are only human after all, and Spock half is, too.
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    diva moon, in this movie (no spoiler tags so read on at your peril!)
    spock and uhura snog twice, and kirk tries to 'get it on' with uhura but gets nowhere.
    they (spock and uhura) are definitely a 'couple' by the end of the film.
    I thought Kirk's dad (Kim from Home and away :D) was really good, and looked more like Shatner than Pine did :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheddy99 wrote: »
    his accent was awful.

So was Doohan's.

More Eskimo than och aye the noo given his Canadian origins.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheddy99 wrote: »
    RE The Spock/Uhura stuff, in the original series, wasn't William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols' kiss as Kirk/Uhura the first interracial kiss to be shown on screen?

Yes, it was. Apparently there was much hoo-ha amongst the production staff about filming it until William Shatner turned round and said "for god's sake, let's just film it!"
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Nemesis is on now, much better.

I'm a long term Trek fan and TNG is by far my favourite series, but no, Nemesis was awful. Not better in any way. Not better than anything. Bad, bad film.

In fact, I remember Jonathan Frakes being asked if he wished they'd made another film, a couple of years after Nemesis. He responded with the following (paraphrased, as best as I can remember it);

"Yes, I wish we had made another film after Nemesis. In fact, I wish we'd made another film instead of Nemesis."

Even the cast hated it!
  • PR.PR. Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Yes, it was. Apparently there was much hoo-ha amongst the production staff about filming it until William Shatner turned round and said "for god's sake, let's just film it!"

I'm a long term Trek fan and TNG is by far my favourite series, but no, Nemesis was awful. Not better in any way. Not better than anything. Bad, bad film.

In fact, I remember Jonathan Frakes being asked if he wished they'd made another film, a couple of years after Nemesis. He responded with the following (paraphrased, as best as I can remember it);

"Yes, I wish we had made another film after Nemesis. In fact, I wish we'd made another film instead of Nemesis."

Even the cast hated it!

I've grown to find Nemesis an entertaining film but no fan can complain about the changes in the new film while holding Nemesis in high regard. It probably broke more established facts than most of the other movies combined!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    The prize for most random casting must go to George Kirk - played by none other than Kim from Home & Away, lol.

I KNOW :D Haha , i had to imdb the guy as soon as i got home cos i KNEW, i saw him from somewhere but could not figure it out. What a break for him.