Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Wench02 wrote: »
    Must have missed the "skippy" bit out.

Bet he wanted to say s**g her you stupid fool!

lmao! :D
    Forum Member
    Numbers are in from the overnights and a review from MediaTel: TV Overnights: Death in Paradise's final stab grabs 6m for BBC One
    Unsurprisingly, it was the finale of Death in Paradise's second series that secured the biggest audience in the 9pm slot. The BBC's gentile, charming and surprising popular series about brutal homicide wrapped up its second series in a fitting cartoonish manner.

Ben Millar plays DI Poole, a Met officer at odds in his beautiful Caribbean island setting. The caricature of the bumbling xenophobic cranky Englishman might have been borderline offensive if it all wasn't so tediously tame.

The location would be perfect if it wasn't for all the irritating expats deadening each other each week. Last night saw the usual assortment of semi-familiar faces put on the red herring costumes, with DI Poole accusing all the suspects of involvement. Well, it was the last episode - they really pulled out all the stops.

But last night it wasn't all about murder - the writers branched out into the dangerous world of 'character development' as Poole and DS Camille flirted.

Or at least that's what viewers assumed was happening - it was all very preposterous and relied on a bigger suspension of disbelief than an entire series of The Mighty Boosh. 6 million viewers tuned in for the eighth episode in the current run, resulting in a 25% share.
  • sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely convinced that the reviewer was a fan of the show.:D

Somehow they also managed to get the lead actor's name wrong (Millar?) and presumably include at least one typo ('gentile' for gentle). But effectively calling Richard and Camille's flirting 'preposterous' and requiring suspension of disbelief! Were they watching the same show as the rest of us.:confused:

ETA Although having read the quote through again, I assume the latter part was referring to the show as a whole. In spite of that, I say again, were they watching the same show as the rest of us?:confused:
    Forum Member
    But what IS important is that it was a good grab of the ratings ... but I think a lot of us will resort to MORE than pitchforks if the ratings continue, they stretch to a fourth and we STILL see nowt between Richard and Camille... crikey o'reilly - if they leave it to the very final episode those two will be in overdrive!
  • sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I know the ratings were the important bit-and they really were excellent.:D

I can quite honestly see this series carrying on until either Ben Miller decides that he really doesn't want to do any more or the writers run out of ideas. Whenever it ends, I hope that it goes out on a high. :)
  • ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,377
    Forum Member
    A Caribbean wedding at the very least or there's gonna be trouble ;)

Can you imagine Richard having Catherine as a Mother in Law :D that could be a show on its own......
    Forum Member
    A Caribbean wedding at the very least or there's gonna be trouble ;)

Can you imagine Richard having Catherine as a Mother in Law :D that could be a show on its own......

Holy Lord - she'll be wanting to serve up chicken soup at the wedding breakfast!
    Forum Member
    RFS wrote: »
    Holy Lord - she'll be wanting to serve up chicken soup at the wedding breakfast!

Maybe Harry the Lizard could be Best Man :D
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A wedding would be a good way to finish it off for good... however not halfway through.

Cant believe have to wait another whole year for next series though! :(
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camille was like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for Richard's return. It seemed a little strange as she doesn't seem like a woman lacking self-confidence.

It will probably take to the twelfth series until Richard notices she is interested though.

I think Camille's mother has sussed it though.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Camille was like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for Richard's return. It seemed a little strange as she doesn't seem like a woman lacking self-confidence.

It will probably take to the twelfth series until Richard notices she is interested though.

Dwayne and Fidel have noticed as well
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    A wedding would be a good way to finish it off for good... however not halfway through.

Finish with a wedding I agree...

How do you think I feel - Ripper Street ended for the year, Death in Paradise ended for the year and Being Human a couple of weeks from ending for good - :cry::(:cry:
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could not leave on a cliff-hanger when they knew there will be a third series. Once they sorted out Ben Millers issues with spending time filming away from his family he was pleased to do more. Once they have got 24 episodes it can go more easily into syndication in America and make money instead of turning up on PBS services.

I cannot find out whether it has been shown in France yet, where Sara Martins is popular. it was the French producers who decided on Guaderlope. It would be amusing to see the dubbed version.

I was wondering whether or not they knew about the 3rd series when writing/recording the last episode. IMO, the current finish could have worked even if there wasn't a 3rd series.
    Forum Member
    Finish with a wedding I agree...

How do you think I feel - Ripper Street ended for the year, Death in Paradise ended for the year and Being Human a couple of weeks from ending for good - :cry::(:cry:

You need a holiday.. I hear Guadeloupe is nice :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The writers could bring Richard's dad out for the wedding. An older, even more set in his ways version of Richard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need a holiday.. I hear Guadeloupe is nice :D

Bit of a risky place to go for a holiday. Either killed within the first five minutes, or arrested 50 minutes later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering whether or not they knew about the 3rd series when writing/recording the last episode. IMO, the current finish could have worked even if there wasn't a 3rd series.

I'm guessing they possibly didn't know if they would be a third series... so they have written something that would work either on it's own, or as a carry on for a third series.
    Forum Member
    ohhh bless the thought of Harry with a little dicky-bow.
    I remember being on hols in the Dominican Republic and all of us quietly chuckling at the site of the groom's party all in full morning dress... in the heat, looking very hot and bothered!
    There were a ridinkidonk amount of weddings for the 2 weeks we were there, and almost everyone looked like they were melting in a kinda Wizard-of-Oz puddle way!

Sooooo seeing as we have SUCH a long time, I think it's time for RFS's patented Sandy Sweepstakes!
    Any participants welcome (pitchforks, garden forks, cattle prods - optional)
    1. How many more series can we eke out with Murder(s) of the Week:
      • 1 more
      • 2 more
      • 2+ more
    2. Likelihood of Camille staying single in Series 3 in hope of snaring Richard:
      • Yes
      • No (but only to make him jealous)
      • No (but new boyf turns out to be a major criminal mastermind that Richard brings down)
      • No (and the mean writers deny us our dues)
    3. Likelihood of Richard staying single in Series 3:
      • Yes (but only as eyes for Camille)
      • Yes (because he remains TOTALLY oblivious to Camille)
      • No (Some random turns up and claims him... strumpet!!)
    4. IF they ever sort themselves out:
      • Wedding
      • Richard throws all caution to the wind and lives in sin, with Camille & Harry, in his shack on the beach
    5. WHAT gets them together:
      • Course of true love (over 8(+) more episodes... sigh)
      • Some cataclysmic plot device that makes them (re)consider their feelings and realise that life is too short, and beer gets warm too quickly

As you can tell the prospect of writing a new article, or doing company finances, or doing professional exam revision is nowhere near as riveting as helping us all amuse ourselves until... ummm... this time next year.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice to see Richard ditch the suit and tie for series 3. Although I don't think he will.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bit of a risky place to go for a holiday. Either killed within the first five minutes, or arrested 50 minutes later.

But that will only happen if you're a currently or formerly famous actor :)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Would be nice to see Richard ditch the suit and tie for series 3. Although I don't think he will.

He may throw caution to the wind and slightly loosen his tie, and maybe, just maybe, undo his top button :eek::eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

Verence wrote: »
    Dwayne and Fidel have noticed as well

Haha - yes but even the most self-confident women turn to total jelly if they are set on someone (especially when they are oblivious)...

Mum, Fidel and Dwayne TOTALLY get it -hmm should have added them to the sweepstake as a reason they get together!
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two great moments from last night's show:

Richards awkwardness at the party and Camille's delight at lumbering him with more schmoozing.

Camille's smile as she watched Richard trying to hide the fact he was a eating a Jelly Baby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writers could bring Richard's dad out for the wedding. An older, even more set in his ways version of Richard.

And his mother too (she was referenced in the first series when Camille was dancing with her mother)!

Mother Camille has definatly noticed that Camille has a thing for Richard... We know that Richard is keen on Camille, however I think that he probably thinks that Camille would never in 1000 years be interested in Richard.
    Forum Member
    RFS wrote: »
    ohhh bless the thought of Harry with a little dicky-bow.
    I remember being on hols in the Dominican Republic and all of us quietly chuckling at the site of the groom's party all in full morning dress... in the heat, looking very hot and bothered!
    There were a ridinkidonk amount of weddings for the 2 weeks we were there, and almost everyone looked like they were melting in a kinda Wizard-of-Oz puddle way!

Sooooo seeing as we have SUCH a long time, I think it's time for RFS's patented Sandy Sweepstakes!
    Any participants welcome (pitchforks, garden forks, cattle prods - optional)
    1. How many more series can we eke out with Murder(s) of the Week:
      • 1 more
      • 2 more
      • 2+ more
    2. Likelihood of Camille staying single in Series 3 in hope of snaring Richard:
      • Yes
      • No (but only to make him jealous)
      • No (but new boyf turns out to be a major criminal mastermind that Richard brings down)
      • No (and the mean writers deny us our dues)
    3. Likelihood of Richard staying single in Series 3:
      • Yes (but only as eyes for Camille)
      • Yes (because he remains TOTALLY oblivious to Camille)
      • No (Some random turns up and claims him... strumpet!!)
    4. IF they ever sort themselves out:
      • Wedding
      • Richard throws all caution to the wind and lives in sin, with Camille & Harry, in his shack on the beach
    5. WHAT gets them together:
      • Course of true love (over 8(+) more episodes... sigh)
      • Some cataclysmic plot device that makes them (re)consider their feelings and realise that life is too short, and beer gets warm too quickly

As you can tell the prospect of writing a new article, or doing company finances, or doing professional exam revision is nowhere near as riveting as helping us all amuse ourselves until... ummm... this time next year.

Question 1 - until they run out of British actors to kill, so 2+

Question 2 - no, but only to make him jealous. (Well she has to try something!).

Question 3- yes but only has eyes for Camille.

Question 4 - wedding of course! (I want to see Harry the Lizard in a tux :) also we might actually get to see Fidel' s invisible missus and kiddie).

Question 5 - Either will do for me.