Favourite Cinematic Stirring Moments

goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One of my favourite stirring moments in a film is from The Return Of The King:

Pippin, one of the Hobbits under instruction from Gandalf, lights the distress beacon at Minas Tirith - you see a relay of beacons being lit along the snowy mountain range - Aragorn on watch at Rohan sees the nearest beacon and runs up the steps to the Great Hall - he confronts Theoden and tells him that Minas Tirith calls for aid - Theoden pauses and says 'And Rohan will answer......muster the Rohirrim!

It's so dramatic and wonderful -it always brings a lump to my throat - absolutely brilliant.

What are your favourite dramatic moments in film?

Comments

• goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There must be others in for example Gone With The Wind, Indiana Jones films, Tale of Two Cities etc.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the scene in the Two Towers when Gandalf says 'Theoden king stands alone' and Eomer says 'Not alone, Rohirrim!' the scene that follows is totally magical.

Also the bit in ET when the bikes fly over the police cars.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The scene in The Magnificent Seven when Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen take the hearse up to Boot Hill and ride back down and Elmer Bernstein's music swells up.

Just about any time the James Bond theme is played,

The President giving his speech in Independence Day. Pure cheese but fun.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree about the beacon lighting in RotK. Fantastic stuff as we follow the distress call across all the various landscapes.

My favourite is in Excaliber when Arthur has drunk from the Holy Grail and been renewed, especially when he and his knights ride out accompanied by Carmina Burana and the land begins to be reborn in their wake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I still think it could have been handled better but the scene in The Dark Knight Rises where Bruce climbs the pit is quite stirring.

A big one recently is in The Avengers where the Hulk turns up for the final battle and takes down the monster with one hit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the beginning of the Lion King in the cinema was very dramatic and evocative - the sun coming up over Africa, the noises and the music - I felt as though I was in Africa.

(by the way in my first post - I think Aragorn said 'Gondor' calls for aid - Minas Tirith is a city in Gondor).
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aliens - Ripley takes control of the APC. Gorman's redemption.

A Matter of Life and Death - The whole opening sequence, with the narrator, and the David Niven/Kim Hunter dialogue.

LOTR - Saruman describes the danger awaiting Gandalf in Moria, while turning the pages of an illustrated book. Also, the Last Alliance prologue in Fellowship.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Most of it!

Master and Commander:The Far Side of the World - Aubrey's speech to the crew before their final battle.

Unforgiven - Will Munny finally starts drinking again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently watching a very dramatic scary scene in War of the Worlds the one with Tom Cruise - where they're at the ferry and a Martian machine appears against the night sky - the crowd don't notice it at first and when they do there's PANIC! - and the horrible noise the machine makes like a hunting horn:eek:

The bit where the army throws all it's got at the machines on top of the hill is very stirring too.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - the stand-off between Lillian Gish and Robert Mitchum in The Night of the Hunter.

- This is dumb, I know, but when Hard Boiled shows a snippet of a certain villain sailing away on a boat, I stood up and cheered. First and last time I did that at cinema. :o

- But the all-time favourite is, unfortunately, from a film friends and I still can't identify. Camera, from bird POV at high height, faces down to the edge of the waterfall. If I remember correctly, this scene shows a man - a secondary character - about to die.

The man, on the edge of a rock, peers over slightly at a massive waterfall. He lifts his arms up slightly and dives off the rock, swan-diving over the edge of the waterfall, down the waterfall as the sound of the waterfall increasingly roars. It stops abruptly the moment he enters into the white rushes of water. All in slow motion. Incredibly powerful.

His hair was slicked back, and he was wearing a white vest and light tan trousers, all in 1930s style. The film is in colour, though, so it's probably a 1990s/1980s film set during the 1930s. The cinematography is very much in style of Terence Malick. Rich palette with a lot of depth. I saw this film at Newcastle's independent cinema festival, but I had the flu so I didn't think to memorise the film title.

I thought it was The Power of One, but it isn't the one. Besides, the guy - although his face can't be seen in this scene - was brunette and possibly taller than Matt Damon (edit: oops, I meant Stephen Dorff). It's not The Mission either.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The band playing Nearer My God to Thee in A Night to Remember. Also, the scene of some of the doomed passengers praying - and an old man cradling a small boy, assuring him that they'll soon find his mother - just as the ship is beginning its final plunge.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odessa Steps massacre in Potemkin
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    "I'm Spartacus..."
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The scene in Casablanca where the German officers start singing Die Wacht Am Rhein* and the rest of the cafe's occupants drown them out by singing the Marseillaise. The passion on the singers' faces, especially that of the female guitarist, never fails to move me.

* This is actually a relatively harmless little number. The makers originally wanted to use the Nazi anthem Horst Wessel Lied but were worried that the German copyright holder would cause problems.:eek:
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    - the stand-off between Lillian Gish and Robert Mitchum in The Night of the Hunter.

- This is dumb, I know, but when Hard Boiled shows a snippet of a certain villain sailing away on a boat, I stood up and cheered. First and last time I did that at cinema. :o

- But the all-time favourite is, unfortunately, from a film friends and I still can't identify. Camera, from bird POV at high height, faces down to the edge of the waterfall. If I remember correctly, this scene shows a man - a secondary character - about to die.

The man, on the edge of a rock, peers over slightly at a massive waterfall. He lifts his arms up slightly and dives off the rock, swan-diving over the edge of the waterfall, down the waterfall as the sound of the waterfall increasingly roars. It stops abruptly the moment he enters into the white rushes of water. All in slow motion. Incredibly powerful.

His hair was slicked back, and he was wearing a white vest and light tan trousers, all in 1930s style. The film is in colour, though, so it's probably a 1990s/1980s film set during the 1930s. The cinematography is very much in style of Terence Malick. Rich palette with a lot of depth. I saw this film at Newcastle's independent cinema festival, but I had the flu so I didn't think to memorise the film title.

I thought it was The Power of One, but it isn't the one. Besides, the guy - although his face can't be seen in this scene - was brunette and possibly taller than Matt Damon (edit: oops, I meant Stephen Dorff). It's not The Mission either.

The first film that sprung to mind for the scene you describe above is a movie called Last Embrace, directed by Jonathan Demme as a homage to Hitchcock's thrillers, starring Roy Scheider. There is a major sequence on a waterfall, and the film did have a noir'ish, old fashioned feel to it.

It was released in 1979 and is something of an obscurity, and is probably the sort of movie that would indeed have been shown at film festivals,as it was highly critically acclaimed at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think that's a good scene also in Titanic where Kate Winslet looks at the cook who has watched everyone running about panicking, he's kept calm- got the best position: waiting for the last moment to be in the water and having a drink which would also bring his temperature and heart rate up to help him once in the Atlantic - he's kept his head and means to survive - which I think he did actually. The triumph of the human will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    The scene in Casablanca where the German officers start singing Die Wacht Am Rhein* and the rest of the cafe's occupants drown them out by singing the Marseillaise. The passion on the singers' faces, especially that of the female guitarist, never fails to move me.

* This is actually a relatively harmless little number. The makers originally wanted to use the Nazi anthem Horst Wessel Lied but were worried that the German copyright holder would cause problems.:eek:

The bit in Escape to Victory when the football crowd starts singing La Marseillaise is also pretty good.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    The helicopters approaching whilst blasting out "Ride of the Valkyries" in Apocalypse Now.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The scene in Zulu where the Zulu warriors are chanting and Stanley Baker asks his troops if they can do better and they start singing "Men of Harlech"
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apocalypse Now with Kurtz's Horror speech - Marlon Brando really delivered it to perfection.

Platoon and the death of Elias - So terrible. So beautiful. Perfect score. Made me full in love with classical music and that scene stays with me. I'm welling up a little just thinking about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue8VS-bcj88

Ending of the 1930 All Quiet on the Western Front from the butterfly to the faces over a graveyard - It says a hell of a lot about the movie in so little with no words. It's what's missing into today's films. The ability to convey without lots going on.

The Great Escape death of Eric Ashley-Pitt a very noble sacrifice.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first film that sprung to mind for the scene you describe above is a movie called Last Embrace, directed by Jonathan Demme as a homage to Hitchcock's thrillers, starring Roy Scheider. There is a major sequence on a waterfall, and the film did have a noir'ish, old fashioned feel to it.

It was released in 1979 and is something of an obscurity, and is probably the sort of movie that would indeed have been shown at film festivals,as it was highly critically acclaimed at the time.

Thanks. I had a look around for Last Embrace. I don't think it's the one. But thanks for accidentally directing me to an image I could use as an aid in my search. :D

While I was googling that, I stumbled across this Man on a Ledge DVD cover. The waterfall scene heavily resembles that image. The camera was about five feet higher and instead of the ledge, there was the waterfall edge. Instead of the road, there were white waterfall rushes. The actor in cover - same position, peering, similar figure and such. Great.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    The Battle of Helms Deep (LOTR TTT)
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched MGMs version of Dickens A Tale of Two Cities recently. This was made in 1936, starring Ronald Colman. It has one of the most dignified endings in any film I have seen, beautifully done, profoundly moving. The final scenes between Sydney Carton and the seamstress is a real tearjerker as they both face death on the guillotine.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Return Of The King for me too, but a different scene again, this time Aragorn at The Black Gate:
    "Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship; but it is not this day! An hour of woe, and shattered shields, when the Age of Men comes crashing down; but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

gets me in the gut every time.

also the opera on the prison tanoy system in The Shawshank Redemption.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching Return of the King tonight there's a lot of great stuff there and in all the LOTRs films - so great. That's good as well where the Rohirrim gather at dawn and Theoden prepares them for battle and the charge.

I love the final scenes of Tale of Two Cities - I liked Dirk Bogarde's film too.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Olympic ceremony at the end of Star Wars, especially when the droids come out all clean and shiny.

I could go on all night, and I may yet.