10pm Monday 4th August- Turn the lights out.

13»

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    You need to check your history books. The point of lighting a candle/light tonight of all nights in the year is that it was on the 4th August 1914 that Britain declared war on Germany. It was a war which changed most of the world for ever and in which millions of men died - in some countries 2/3 of the male population.
    And who says people don't think about it on any other day of the year.

I've never denied that Britain declared war on 4th August 1914. Or that Millions of men died. I never disputed the history. You brought all of that up. Nothing to do with history books. Desperate to cause an argument.
  • jjrussjjruss Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Rafferty wrote: »
    All my lights off and a small candle burning for remembrance and gratitude to all the people of WW1, the forces, workers and not forgetting the women at home who struggled to keep family life going for the children.

Yes mine too, xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know many of you pointing out you're turning out your lights are using the hour of reflection to bicker on a BB forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know many of you pointing out you're turning out your lights are using the hour of reflection to bicker on a BB forum.

Pretty much sums up their motives behind it. To act superior.
  • Bella BoffinBella Boffin Posts: 6,561
    Forum Member
    My husband's father's story is a familiar one, in parts. As a Quaker at the beginning of WW1 he joined the Army Medical Corps. It wasn't fighting but it was very far from a safe or easy option. Later he joined the army and was severely injured on the battlefield. As an officer he had a batman (a sort of Baldrick) and this man found Mr Brain's father, covered with a sheet, and went to take his personal effects only to find that he was still alive. Subsequently he recovered enough to lead a very full and active life. (The Baldrick character became the family chauffeur, Pottinger). The firm of solicitors that he founded still functions in Reading. Just 20 years later there was another war (imagine, if you will, how dreadful that must have been for Mr Brain's mother who had nearly lost her husband and had indeed lost her brother in the last days of the WW1, and just 20 years later saw her two sons go to war). Geoffrey joined the army like his father. David, my husband, went into the navy and on D-Day was an officer on the first landing craft on Gold Beach. In June this year we went back to that coast.

When I was in BB8 I spoke about my husband and, in an attempt to interest, I told the women (some of whom were not that long out of school and might well have known something about history, other than that of curling tongs and Rhiannon) that my husband had served on D-Day. They laughed amongst themselves and said I was a liar. It did not bother me (though I remembered it today reading your posts here) but I wonder what Big Brother would need to explain to housemates if they were to turn off the lights.

Incidentally we shall not be observing this 'lights out' in our house. Mr Brain is, as he has always been, actively anti-war (those who have seen war often are) and is a man who, although old, lives very much for now. He is wary of any sort of glamorising of war, as he sees it. He thinks we should all do what we like in this as in everything else. His concern if you were to ask him today about war would be about the horror of Gaza.

I have a couple of photos of Mr Brain on my website if you are interested, one now and one in 1944.

Lesley Brain
    www.lesleybrain.com
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who is doing that:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »

Let's not be so judgemental. Many people have their reasons for doing it, family history being the main one, and I guess it's understandable to be defensive of that. For posterity, afterwards might have been a better idea. But y'know, things like this can be a bit bandwaggony and modern society likes nothing better than an instagram photo to show how much they fit in.

Personally, like you, my lights are on. Because every day, people die, because of stupid ****ing people fighting stupid ****ing wars. I'd rather celebrate progression, not wallow in dark history. This is not to say I don't care, of course I do, I'm proudly of Polish descent from a family that suffered horribly in wwII. But focusing on lives lost will get us nowhere. Celebrating our differences and working together towards something brighter will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not be so judgemental. Many people have their reasons for doing it, family history being the main one, and I guess it's understandable to be defensive of that. For posterity, afterwards might have been a better idea. But y'know, things like this can be a bit bandwaggony and modern society likes nothing better than an instagram photo to show how much they fit in.

Personally, like you, my lights are on. Because every day, people die, because of stupid ****ing people fighting stupid ****ing wars. I'd rather celebrate progression, not wallow in dark history. This is not to say I don't care, of course I do, I'm proudly of Polish descent from a family that suffered horribly in wwII. But focusing on lives lost will get us nowhere. Celebrating our differences and working together towards something brighter will.

okokok, well said. I agree and I apologise :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is doing that:confused:

Someone accused someone of being Helen. That's eeeeevil :D
  • bulldog rosiebulldog rosie Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a cop out and how dare you insult me. Shame on you. Way to go with a logical debate or even an honest answer. Utterly Disgraceful.>:(

Sometimes when people mature ..........Like when they grow intimate bits and such stufff ...........They also learn to stop digging when they're in a hole . :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    okokok, well said. I agree and I apologise :)

None needed. More peace :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone accused someone of being Helen. That's eeeeevil :D

[deleted...cant be bothered:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and you denigrate those that you feel are not taking the 100th of WW1 anniversary seriously....:o...

Dear Lord....the hypocrisy is astounding.

Erm... I'M not taking it seriously.

EDIT: Crikey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm... I'M not taking it seriously.

just spotted that...I think....hence my deletion. Sorry:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just spotted that...I think....hence my deletion. Sorry:(

It's ok. I'm hugely confused. Tea and cake time?
  • Rosie50Rosie50 Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just returned from holiday and seen this post my lights are off a bit late sorry, but candle burning now for all those who died in the great war for giving me and my family Freedom .My thoughts and Prayers go out to all familys who have lost a loved one in that horrible war Sad Smiley
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Alas, yes. Presumably it would have been a shockingly ungrateful thing to NOT switch off one's lights.

I honour the fallen every year (and throughout the year) - and I give generously on Poppy Day. I donate online to several charities that support living servicemen and women as well as those who have lost their lives or who have been disabled or otherwise injured in active service.

My late grannie lost her 19-year-old brother in WW1. My Grandad (her husband) lost all his friends. He finally came home from Belgium but his pals didn't. He would never talk about what he suffered in the trenches. It was too painful and besides back then men didn't discuss such things in front of women and children.

It's lovely that some people switched-off their lights. But you can honour people in your heart! I had no idea we were asked to light a candle at 10pm. Those who did know and either forgot or chose to watch BB with the lights on have done nothing wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Jo March wrote: »

Lovely link Jo. We lost eight of our immediate forefathers/uncles in the trenches/fields over there thus dimmed our lights/attended remembrance services in their honour. I know it's a WWII quote but 'They gave their todays for our tomorrows'.
    My gran's brother was the youngest to die on the first day at Passchendaele and I have to wonder whether he would have been dumbfounded by the self-entitled, petulant, selfish behaviour of the generation which includes those that enter BB nowadays? :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pat_carter wrote: »
    Lovely link Jo. We lost eight of our immediate forefathers/uncles in the trenches/fields over there thus dimmed our lights/attended remembrance services in their honour. I know it's a WWII quote but 'They gave their todays for our tomorrows'.
    My gran's brother was the youngest to die on the first day at Passchendaele and I have to wonder whether he would have been dumbfounded by the self-entitled, petulant, selfish behaviour of the generation which includes those that enter BB nowadays? :(

Oh how sad for you pat_carter - we know now that conditions for these poor young (some just boys) men were absolutely hellish and yes they gave their lives for us coming after them. They thought it would be "all over the Christmas" - heartbreaking.
  • GirlygigglerGirlygiggler Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a cop out and how dare you insult me. Shame on you. Way to go with a logical debate or even an honest answer. Utterly Disgraceful.>:(

It is against the forum rules to deliberately wind somebody up in order to make them bite back. I hope that wasn't what you were doing.

It's incredibly upsetting that after everything that so many men and women have done for us in recent history, some people really do not have a clue. If you didn't want to turn your lights off, that's fine - your choice. But don't then boast about how you didn't do so just to start an argument. It's completely unnecessary, especially when it involves the death of millions of peoples loved ones.