Bring Back Brucie

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When watched last night's show I felt something was lacking in the way it was hosted.
    I can not put my finger on it.
    Tess and Claudia (now Claud) are obviously experienced on the show, but for me it just did not work.
    I did not watch the show with any sort of critical head on, but as we were watching it I could not help but say that I did not warm to the way they were hosting in together.
  • RosegrowerRosegrower Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I agree that things weren't quite right last night with Tess and Claudia, but think it would be retrogressive to bring Bruce back. Hope it isn't sexist of me to feel that a male and female presenter duo would be better. Somehow Tessa and Claudia seem like giggly schoolgirls at the moment -but give them a few programmes and they may settle down. Hope so, anyway
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    It flows so much better without him dithering away.

Disagree - it now lacks gravitas and charm
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Gravitas - dignity, seriousness, or solemnity of manner.

You think it had that in previous years? I disagree. Think there was far more dignity last night and more serious without the cringeworthy "jokes". Claudia and Tess are definitely charming.
  • Analogue_TVAnalogue_TV Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I was never Bruce's biggest fan, but the show misses him. I like both the girls but it's not working for me.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really??

just no - Bruce made the decision to retire - thankfully

I thought the show ran really well last night

Love Tess and Claudia together, they just get on with the job in hand - presenting - there is no stupid ridiculous jokes, no interrupting the judges, no awful tap dancing and (hopefully) no singing!
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    There's a far better case for bringing back Arlene and that's not gonna happen.

I like Darcey but she's not a natural in the judging role. She dries up far too easily.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never Bruce's biggest fan, but the show misses him. I like both the girls but it's not working for me.

same here as I prefer having two presenters who are not of the same gender

Claudia looks like a refugee from the Addams family and the show seems soulless without Brucie
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Brucie, but I like it now, too. The programme has its flow, just try not to interfere with it and it's all well.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to see the back of him.

Would have been happy with a Norton as replacement, but equally happy with just Claudia and Tess.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    same here as I prefer having two presenters who are not of the same gender

Claudia looks like a refugee from the Addams family and the show seems soulless without Brucie

Exactly how I feel. They should have replaced Bruce with a male, preferably one with dance experience. I did think it was time for Bruce to retire but it was a mistake to bring in Claudia.

Lets see how it goes when we get into it. It might take a couple of weeks to bed in but I thought it lacked something last night. Claudia and Tess seemed like two schoolgirls at the school prom.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Like Claudia and I'm not keen on Tess but overall it's a better show without Brucie. It flows better and seems to move along at a faster pace.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of Tess (to put it mildly) but she has one redeeming quality. She's not Fforsyth.
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »

I agree. It's sadly lacking something now. Tess just doesn't cut it as the main presenter. I liked Bruce's interaction with the judges, whereas Tess is trying too hard and is even more false than usual. If such a thing were possible!
  • tobykimtobykim Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should swap places, give Claudia the presenters job, she's got much more personality
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Bruce very much but it was time for him to step down. He did so gracefully and with humour. It will be lovely to see him when he does the special shows but I don't want him to come back every Saturday at all. I like Tess and Claudia very much.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't miss his painful delivery of the producer jokes or the unnecessary unscripted waffling (that ate in to judges comments etc).
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was quite lacklustre and unsparkly last night.

Suspect some of that was down to the presenters.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member
    It flows so much better without him dithering away.

Quite right. The judges had more time as well without him interrupting all the time and I was so glad to not have to suffer the awful jokes.

I have to admit I don't think Strictly suits an hour slot on a Friday. It belongs to Saturday night entertainment and I think tonight and the future shows will sparkle.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yenston wrote: »
    ...I liked Bruce's interaction with the judges, ...

Some of us found that his 'interaction' was nauseous, self-promoting, condescending, officious, inane, arrogant and at times downright rude. (Select any or all of those as you wish.)

But, as you say, he did interact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Much better without him - the flow was better and it felt more professional.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Give it a couple of weeks to allow the dust to settle and it will seem like the show has always been like this.

No one is indispensible - even brucie - and his absence didn't do the ratings any harm - last night's opening show trounced X Factor and will probably do so again tonight!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't want them to bring back Brucie, but replacing him with Tess just doesn't work.

I'm sure the reason for 2 women presenters is only because the BBC has been accused of sexism & are trying to prove otherwise. I don't dislike Tess or Claudia as such, but as joint presenters? Definitely NO.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    I don't mind Tess, but on her own it was all too fluffy. The show didn't feel anchored.

100% agreed! I thought Tess was out of her depth.

I believe that they'll run with Tess and Claudia this year and bring in someone new to host in 2015 and Tess will also go.

Tess isn't a big enought name to pull in Saturday Night viewers and hold Strictly together.
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main thing I noticed was the start of the show was much more equal between the two presenters. I like the chemistry they have together too. I think it will settle down :)