Options

I've won a lot of money but don't know if I should tell anyone?

STEPHENFOX20STEPHENFOX20 Posts: 206
Forum Member
I have just scooped 1.4 million on the lottery last Saturday. It has been in the papers but I said I wanted to remain anonymous. I am of course over the moon :-)) all from putting a £2 ticket on!!

I am still undecided as to wether I should tell all of my friends as scared it will get out!! I know this is not a situation most are luvly enough to get in to but what eould you dokf you was me?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just .. no ..
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Feeling sick with envy. If this is true....

Oh well its only money. :D
    And no, i wouldnt tell anyone for a long while. The vultures would be out in force
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I have just scooped 1.4 million on the lottery last Saturday. It has been in the papers but I said I wanted to remain anonymous. I am of course over the moon :-)) all from putting a £2 ticket on!!

I am still undecided as to wether I should tell all of my friends as scared it will get out!! I know this is not a situation most are luvly enough to get in to but what eould you dokf you was me?

Thanks

I think your first priority should be some kind of English course and some therapy.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks

Congrats :D

Lend us a grand :p

I would suggest that you don't allow members to send you PMs otherwise a certain few will be sending begging letters.
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could get by not telling people if you were sensible with how you spent the money. Obviously if you suddenly buy a new house, car, quit your job, etc., then people will figure it out themselves. It might be wise to say you came into a bit of money, but not let on exactly how much. Enough to live on, enjoy a bit of life, but not enough to go nuts?

I wouldn't tell anyone except very close family because I know they wouldn't tell anyone else, but I don't know how your family would react. Either way, good luck with it.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks

Drink plenty of water before bed.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks

I wouldn't tell anyone until I had worked out what I wanted to do.

I would start by employing a PA to manage my DS account.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't tell anyone, unless it's people who need to know like the benefit office etc. All depends how immediate family are fixed and how many there are. Lovely sum of money, but considering how expensive properties are it won't last long if you just spend and give it away.
  • Options
    Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would check all my previous posts on DS to make sure that there wasn't anything there that could identify me.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been in the papers [...]

No it hasn't.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Scooped?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks
    Did not happen as you state.

There were 2 winning jackpot tickets that won £4,390,682 each last Saturday.

Only an unlikely tiny syndicate of 3 people together on one of those tickets would give just under £1.5 million each, and then you'd have others already knowing anyway.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    If true, no, why should anyone know about it ? It's your money, to do with as you see fit.

I honestly don't know who are the mouthbreathing desponds who would write a begging letter to a lottery winner. It's one above begging door to door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I would check all my previous posts on DS to make sure that there wasn't anything there that could identify me.

Especially if your name is Stephen Fox and you are 24 years old as it wouldn't take too much detective work for someone to find this out.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,027
    Forum Member

He's from the Liverpool area. So we've got his name, age and the city he lives in lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks

I would not tell anyone but lets be realistic how are you going to manage to enjoy spending it without people finding out.

1.4 million would find us buying a larger house and putting children in private school. Bit hard to pass it off as good pay rise.

At my age I have thick enough skin not to really care what others thought anyway. I would provide for people I care over and not give a seconds thought to the opinions of anyone else.

Enjoy your win anyway but plan carefully and don't waste it. It can soon be frittered away.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Did not happen as you state.

There were 2 winning jackpot tickets that won £4,390,682 each last Saturday.

Only an unlikely tiny syndicate of 3 people together on one of those tickets would give just under £1.5 million each, and then you'd have others already knowing anyway.
    Damn. I was just composing my begging PM. ;)

£1.4 million, in the grand scheme of things, isn't a massive amount of money, certainly not enough to live the rest of your life in luxury, so it would be relatively easy to hide a win of that size from grasping friends and family.
  • Options
    mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    If this is indeed true, then congratulations. Thats a fantastic sum of money!

As other posters have said, I would keep it quiet.

I think I could keep £1.4 million a secret. I could pay my mortgage off, buy a decent car and treat myself to some lovely holidays each year. The only difference I would be doing is paying my house off - something which could be hidden from suspicion from anyone. If anyone questioned me on a new car, it would be "on finance". I go on a couple of holidays every year anyways, so thats nothing really out of the ordinary, id just spend a bit more on them!

I dont think £1.4 million would be enough for me to quite work - so I would still carry on as normal - I just wouldnt have the normal financial pressures any longer!

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

Thanks

It’s made you incredibly selfish already; it’s been a week and you haven’t mentioned how much you will be giving to people less fortunate than you. Unbelievable....how can you live with yourself! :o

P.S. My ailing mother needs an urgent life saving operation in America; it’s touch and go at the moment. I’ll email my bank details; £25k should do it.

Please be quick; she’s fading fast.

(My 5 young children would love a few weeks in Disneyland Florida; they would be able to visit their Grandma in hospital over there; another £5K should cover that; ....thanks, you won’t regret it!) :)
  • Options
    auntiemauntiem Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't tell anyone when or how much.

What I might do is to tell people I had a small win or inheritance of around £75,000 to £100,000 which would easily explain away any change in shopping habits or a new car or any generosity of buying drinks etc. also an amount like that doesn't seem limitless - that you have to curb your spending.

But as others have said 1.4 million won't go far these days, so keep the full amount of your winnings yourself, even though you might share cash with others.

Congratulations btw, I hope you enjoy your winnings.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks

IF this is true, Congratulations! :D I'll be your bestest friend in the whole world!
    If it's been in the paper how do they not know? AND if you requested anonymity that's a breach of contract. NO tell no-one is my serious advice. Although it could be a test of genuine friendship, but could also be painful!
    Invest it wisely, it's enough to retire on. At 4% interest you'd earn £60,000 a year, less tax of course.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn. I was just composing my begging PM. ;)

£1.4 million, in the grand scheme of things, isn't a massive amount of money, certainly not enough to live the rest of your life in luxury, so it would be relatively easy to hide a win of that size from grasping friends and family.
    Shouldn't we be charging for our advice here? :D
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    So you don't want to tell anyone - and yet you post a thread on DS for all to debate.

If I had just won £1.4m I wouldn't be posting on here!:D
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats!

I'd probably do a 'Viv Nicholson' and 'Spend Spend Spend'

- She won a huge amount in the 1960s and when asked what she was going to do with it said the words that made hert famous, and came back to haunt her - Spend Spend Spend.

She did and lost the lot. Morriseys song 'I'm glad you're miserable now' has Viv on the record sleeve.

Then there was an award winning musical in the west End starring Barbara Dickson, which was fab.
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell everyone you won £50k, that would explain the new car, rolex etc. Apart from that don't do anything to draw attention to yourself like posting it on DS forums etc.