iPhone battery "dies" around 40%

Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
Forum Member
✭✭
Recently i've noticed my iPhone 4S battery "dying" at 40% charge left. The screen will go blank and the spinning circle will appear and when i press the home screen button the charge symbol will appear on screen.

When left for a few minutes the phone will turn on as normal with the same amount still left. What is making my battery think it has short charge left? It's never been dropped and it's only just started doing this.

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be worth taking it to an Apple store to see if they can test the battery to see if it's defective.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's a laptop and a phone I have to get checked out now.

Would you believe my tea went everywhere as soon as I hit enter killing the entire laptop?
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Recently i've noticed my iPhone 4S battery "dying" at 40% charge left. The screen will go blank and the spinning circle will appear and when i press the home screen button the charge symbol will appear on screen.

When left for a few minutes the phone will turn on as normal with the same amount still left. What is making my battery think it has short charge left? It's never been dropped and it's only just started doing this.

This happened to me yesterday too. Exactly the same thing happened to me at 45%.

I wonder if the battery needs calibrated somehow.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    So that's a laptop and a phone I have to get checked out now.

Would you believe my tea went everywhere as soon as I hit enter killing the entire laptop?

I'd believe you completely as it's happened to me before, albeit with a can of fizzy pop :)

Cracked it open without realising it must have either been dropped or shaken up and the fountain of liquid that came out just went all over the computer ..
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    This happened to me. I found that the battery life was also much worse in cold weather.

I bought the kit and battery from Ifixit and swapped it myself as my phone wasn't in warranty.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Might be worth taking it to an Apple store to see if they can test the battery to see if it's defective.
    I have an iPhone 5 which this is happening to. Luckily this is part of an Apple battery recall programme (https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone5-battery/) so it is going in for investigation soon!
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 5 which this is happening to. Luckily this is part of an Apple battery recall programme (https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone5-battery/) so it is going in for investigation soon!

I got my iPhone 4s as part of an upgrade last year and it was fine until recently.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »

Thanks for this! My iPhone 5 has been having this issue for so long now and I had never heard of the battery recall programme. It turns out my phone is eligible so I will be backing it up and making an appointment.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Usually a battery replacement solves this..
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Usually a battery replacement solves this..

Or a phone replacement.

My mate swapped his iPhone out for a Galaxy S5 and the battery was fixed.

OP should try it.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had it on mine and ran it until completely flat charged it overnight and the n repeat without charging again until completely flat. That seemed to reset the battery drain on my iPhone 5.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Or a phone replacement.

OP should try it.

Well the S5 is better phone than the 4S.. But Galaxy phones are not immune to battery issues.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Or a phone replacement.

OP should try it.
    Well the S5 is better phone than the 4S.. But Galaxy phones are not immune to battery issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSy5mEcmgwU
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    This happened to me. I found that the battery life was also much worse in cold weather.

I bought the kit and battery from Ifixit and swapped it myself as my phone wasn't in warranty.

I've also noticed that, keeping the phone warm seems to work for me as does never allowing the battery to charge to 100%.

My 4S battery was dying twice weekly when there was charge, since I've kept the phone warm it's not been an issue.