Options

New mattress on old divan base

mobilymobily Posts: 261
Forum Member
Hi all

I took delivery yesterday of a new mattress as our bed was 10 years old and my wife and I were starting to wake up with aches and pains and we were starting to roll together with saggy mattress.

I didn't even give any consideration towards getting a new base until someone mentioned it in passing. I checked the base and there is a definite sag on both sides. Further reading shows me that a new base is almost certainly recommended when buying a mattress.

I have bought a new base to be delivered tomorrow but until then the new mattress will be on the old base.

Do you think 2 nights on a saggy base will be a problem and damage the mattress?

Comments

• Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    No you'll be fine. 2 days out of an expected life of 10 years isn't going to break it.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a solid steel bed bought at the ideal home exhibition on a whim which came with a life time guarantee (YEH!!)

Anyway I really love my bed but the mattress has gone and wondered if I could just get a new mattress. I must check the bottom of bed as it is just two panels and not the normal spring

Should I just give it up and buy a whole new bed and mattress or could I get just the mattress?
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Buy a mattress. The bed has the guarantee but that won't include the mattress as it will wear out. You should change the mattress anyway just to get rid of all the dust mites that it accumulates
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck the bed out and put the mattress on the floor for two days.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a mattress. The bed has the guarantee but that won't include the mattress as it will wear out. You should change the mattress anyway just to get rid of all the dust mites that it accumulates

Thanks I have just found the name of where the bed came from on mattress and will ring them tomorrow to find out where to get same mattress
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck the bed out and put the mattress on the floor for two days.

That's what I would do.