Options

Walking out/switching off

Comments

• Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see, I'd look at that from a different point of view. My time is worth more to me than money - and if I could spend that time enjoying myself rather than waste it not enjoying myself, I would choose the first option every time.
    A suggestion to save both time and money might be to know what you are going to see in the first place. :p

I have never walked on a film but then I've never gone to the effort to go to a cinema and buy a ticket (or two) without knowing that it's a film I'm going to like. At the very least suspecting it's a film that will be OK, I've never found myself in a film that's so completely and utterly alien to the kinds of films I like (or just so crap) that I have to leave.

I read reviews beforehand, I watch trailers, I listen to what other people think. I know what kind of film it is. And none of those is in a "follow the herd" way, I read and listen critically. Loads of people were singing the praises of the latest Transfomers film (I work with a couple of them...people singing the praise that is, not transformers) but the reasons they were giving for it being fantastic were not reasons that filled me with any desire to see it. Similarly I don't believe every five star review on a poster without looking at which publication it comes from. When the best they can come up with is the York Evening Advertiser I'll be suitably suspicious*.

I'm not picking on you in particular Shadows, as it could be said to many posters here. :D

*Apologies if you are the film reviewer for the York Evening Advertiser...I thought I was making it up. :o
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I have never walked on a film but then I've never gone to the effort to go to a cinema and buy a ticket (or two) without knowing that it's a film I'm going to like. At the very least suspecting it's a film that will be OK, I've never found myself in a film that's so completely and utterly alien to the kinds of films I like (or just so crap) that I have to leave.

I read reviews beforehand, I watch trailers, I listen to what other people think. I know what kind of film it is.

A lot of people sung the praises of The Matrix. A lot of reviews said that The Matrix was a fantastic film with superb special effects and was one of those films that you just had to see. I enjoy special effects laden sci-fi movies. At the time, I didn't even despise any of the actors or actresses who were in The Matrix.

I went to see it at the pictures. And was bored shitless. And walked out after an hour - pleased with the knowledge that I hadn't wasted a second hour sitting through one of the most unbelievably crap movies I had ever had the misfortune to see.

No matter what the reviews say, or what other people might say, they are all just opinions. And no matter what anybody else's opinion is, I am not going to pretend I like a film just because other people who in certain circumstances like the same thing that I do decided that they liked this film.

Avatar was another one that fell under the same umbrella - nearly everybody I know who had been to see it said it was fantastic. What they should have said was that it looked fantastic but was actually tedious beyond belief. Luckily, I could make my own judgement on that movie also, and managed to escape long before the end was reached. The fact that now most people who saw it first time round agree it is a very very boring movie is an aside...
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last movie I fell asleep during was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, I was excited to see it as I loved the games but omg i'd of rather been at work than watch that rubbish.
    Willbert wrote: »
    Suckerpunch - turned it off after about 20 minutes, just didn't get it at all.

I did exactly the same the first time but my partner wanted to watch it so I decided to give it another try, I was impressed with the second half of the movie.. the special effects are on par with any movie I've ever seen.
    Only disapointing bit was the ending, it was both weird and unnecessary and made me wish I didn't watch it again lol.
  • Options
    bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apollo 13
    The frighteners (m j fox film, I think)
    And more recently, Eden lake.

All films I've walked out of.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'd been on my own I would probably have walked out of The Inbetweeners. I found the first half hour really dragged, although it gets better and I'm glad I stayed. But I've never actually walked out of a cinema.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Ive only ever walked out of a cinema once. It was "looking for eric". However that was only because Vue cinemas were doing a promotion of a mystery film, was intregued and well it was "looking for eric" left after like 2 minutes...

DVD/VHS wise most of it was when i was younger. The Matrix on VHS (and its now one of my favourite films :eek:). However one i remembering wanting to stop watching on sky movies but couldnt turn off was Piranah, it was so awful yet i couldn't physically turn it off...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Lexus27b wrote: »
    However one i remembering wanting to stop watching on sky movies but couldnt turn off was Piranah, it was so awful yet i couldn't physically turn it off...

Kelly Brook's boobs had that effect on me too:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fell asleep when my friends put on the first Sex and the City film. Sleep was a blessed escape. I really did hate all three (or four?) of the female characters. I'm also female but I would rather be forced to watch The Human Centipede 2 in the eye-opening device from A Clockwork Orange than watch five minutes of that again. :p
  • Options
    GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walked out of Hulk (the one with Eric Bana) absolute rubbish. The remake with Edward Norton was good though. Aside from that, I nearly walked out of Transformers 2 but it got interesting towards the end so I stayed.
  • Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member

>The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2<

After buying and enjoying the Original, The Beginning and the 2003 Remake on blu ray I thought I'd give the sequels a go.

This sh*te was so bad I nearly cried. I wanted to switch off but was glued to my seat in utter disbelief and couldn't stop laughing when the credits were rolling.

I have part 3 and keep looking at the case which probably means I'll pop it in out of curiosity.:(:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avatar was tedious and i switched off, the freddy kruger remake,i hope they got change out of their £500 budget,
    Insidious
    The cake eater
    the tourist
    the crazies
    limitless (limitless crap)
    everybodys fine
    captain america.
    all better than any sleeping tablet
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Mamma Mia was on TV one night and I turned it off after 10 minutes as the singing was terrible. I also turned off 27 Dresses halfway through and gave the DVD to the charity shop as it was so boring.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    me and my mate walked out of Lord Of the Rings :o

I just found it so boring
  • Options
    IamBagpussIamBagpuss Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Turned off Shutter Island. Such a slow build up and it couldn't hold my attention.

Me too, so I still don't know the twist at the end!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I attempted to watch Transformers 2 on Saturday night. Lasted about an hour and turned it off.

A b s o l u t e p i s h.

It got to the point where even the sound effects were annoying me, that has never happened before.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Fight Club

I'd never seen it before but my other half was raving about it so I thought I'd give it a go.

Lasted 1 hour before I asked him to switch it off
  • Options
    xxstephiebabixxxxstephiebabixx Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweeney todd with johnny depp, my friend brought the dvd round .. i lasted 10 minutes tops then i just couldnt watch anymore, its not something i would usually watch but i tried (very hard) to give it a go.

i did fall asleep at the cinema watching street kings with keanu reeves but to be fair it was a late night showing (i was shattered from work) and i paid for the comfy sofas, i slept for the last hour. never walked out of one tho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mamma Mia was on TV one night and I turned it off after 10 minutes as the singing was terrible. I also turned off 27 Dresses halfway through and gave the DVD to the charity shop as it was so boring.

i thought it was very sexist, on the basis that all a woman needs is to get married pllllleeeesssse. james marsdenn must have been on drugs for this trip, i actually turned off knocked up with katherine heigel. she was in a funny film called my best friends girlfriend:)
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only ever walked out of the cinema during a movie once and that was The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Never stopped watching a DVD before but I have been tempted especially while watching Mamma Mia and the Twilight films.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Fight Club

I'd never seen it before but my other half was raving about it so I thought I'd give it a go.

Lasted 1 hour before I asked him to switch it off

Sorry but you're very very very wrong :)
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Avatar (well, to be honest I NEARLY switched it off, but I didn't have anything else to do so stuck with it - wish I hadn't bothered as old Jimmy Cameron simply CANNOT write dialogue!)

Sucker Punch - my word, what a mess!

And loads of others that I've managed to forget about. :)
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see, I'd look at that from a different point of view. My time is worth more to me than money - and if I could spend that time enjoying myself rather than waste it not enjoying myself, I would choose the first option every time.
    On the other hand, the two occasions where I've walked out of a cinema, I've eventually watched the film anyway on another occasion, so would have saved time in the long run had I stayed the first time. However, neither time was boredom; both were films that disturbed me. Salo, and Eraserhead, if you're interested.
    Fight Club
    That's an example of a film that delivers much of its payload late. Another is Triangle. I found the first half of that quite boring, but I'm glad I stuck with it. You can miss a lot by giving up on a film too early.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocka wrote: »
    Halloween - Rob Zombie version (really liked The Devils Rejects so thought it would be good - It wasn't.))

This is the only movie that made me want to leave the cinema. Unfortunately I went with a friend and she refused to leave because she wanted her money's worth.

I've turned off a few movies I was streaming on LoveFilm. The Girl Next Door was the last one because I was so uncomfortable and didn't enjoy watching it.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally stick a film out, even if I'm not enjoying it. The only one I turned off was Madagascar 2. I was on a flight home from America, and started watching it, and really didn't have the energy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally like to give films the benefit of the doubt and finish them but have to admit I switched off Red Riding Hood last week after 30 minutes, it was boring and felt cheap and badly acted?