BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet, curiously, there's no incessant campaign asking why he doesn't do the show from Salford.

But then, we like Danny don't we?

That may be because he used to do the daily show on BBC London I guess
    Now he no longer does that, he should fall under the same scrutiny
    Btw, where does Dotun broadcast from. I know he too does stuff for BBC London
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    And yet, curiously, there's no incessant campaign asking why he doesn't do the show from Salford.

Well as with Mayo, Danny Baker never made a commitment to relocate to Salford unlike VD. We are talking about a two hour Saturday morning program, while VD is a 5 day a week programme and part of the main weekday schedule.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Well as with Mayo, Danny Baker never made a commitment to relocate to Salford unlike VD. We are talking about a two hour Saturday morning program, while VD is a 5 day a week programme and part of the main weekday schedule.

Did Victoria make a commitment. In writing? In her contract? Or was it always going to be "flexible"?

Clearly you've seen the document with your own eyes?
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    That may be because he used to do the daily show on BBC London I guess
    Now he no longer does that, he should fall under the same scrutiny
    Btw, where does Dotun broadcast from. I know he too does stuff for BBC London

Or Rhod Sharp for that matter.

Of course, That would be a ridiculous notion since he's generally liked by the DS kangaroo court.
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dotun does 3 of his 4 shows a week from Salford.

He does his Sunday night/Monday morning Up All Night from a box in London, as he also has his BBC London Sunday evening show. The sun night/Mon morning up all night is still driven and produced in Salford, with Dotun simply on a mic to Salford.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just heard a caller on 5live say, some commentator has passed away, who's he talking about ? :confused:
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    just heard a caller on 5live say, some commentator has passed away, who's he talking about ? :confused:

Must have meant David Oates.

Also a bit of praise for 5live - Chris Warburton' Saturday evening show is normally a good listen.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member

But then, we like Danny don't we?

The thing about the VD show is why don't they simply admit defeat move it to London, rather than go through the pretence its a Salford based show. 5live should never have moved to Salford in the first place, but I guess that is a different topic.
    Forum Member
    Did Victoria make a commitment. In writing? In her contract? Or was it always going to be "flexible"?

Clearly you've seen the document with your own eyes?

I didn’t say I had seen her contract but as usual you like to try and twist it. If I could be bothered I would search for the interviews with AVC and blogs where he said all the main programmes would be presented from Salford. When the likes of Sian Williams and Simon Mayo had to quit as they were unwilling to relocate / commute, are you saying the BBC decided to be more flexible with VD and let her turn up in Salford when she feels like it? It appears she is getting special treatment or management is simply scarred of her with only 27% in Salford. And before you ask no I don’t have signed affidavit that the management is scarred of her so just speculation. :p
    The station's relocation throws up problems for Derbyshire too. She lives outside London with her husband and their two young sons, and at the moment she gets up at 6am, to be in the office by 7.30. After work she goes home to watch The Daily Politics and Newsnight, which she's recorded, then picks up the boys from school and nursery. When 5 Live goes up north her family will remain down south: for her husband's job (he's the editor of World Have Your Say on the World Service), the children's schools, "and the house is in negative equity anyway!" she says with a laugh. So she's going to stay with her mum in Bolton on Sunday night, then commute up and down Monday through Friday. "I hope I can do all my work on the train so that when I get back I'll be able to just be there for the boys and Mark." http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/jul/10/victoria-derbyshire-5-live-interview

Anyway the point I was making was Danny Baker is just two hours on a Saturday, which is a less significant than 5 mornings a week when the rest of the weekday schedule (excluding Mayo on a Friday, Fogarty for PMQs) comes from Salford.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8 days out of 30 this year. 27%

If Victoria Derbyshire goes on strike, do the days she is on strike count? If she strikes, she has a choice between striking from Salford and striking from somewhere else. I think those days should also be included.
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn’t say I had seen her contract but as usual you like to try and twist it. If I could be bothered I would search for the interviews with AVC and blogs where he said all the main programmes would be presented from Salford. When the likes of Sian Williams and Simon Mayo had to quit as they were unwilling to relocate / commute, are you saying the BBC decided to be more flexible with VD and let her turn up in Salford when she feels like it? It appears she is getting special treatment or management is simply scarred of her with only 27% in Salford. And before you ask no I don’t have signed affidavit that the management is scarred of her so just speculation. :p.

Why on earth would management be scared of Victoria Derbyshire?
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Snip

Also a bit of praise for 5live - Chris Warburton' Saturday evening show is normally a good listen.

Chris Warburton's Satuday Edition is excellent. Plenty of variety of different subjects. It just shows that 5 live can do good programes when they want to, rather than the usual dross and second rate presenters.

It's a pity it's often cut short due to the 606 football phone in (even though I like football).
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another tedious wafflefest of music chatter by the same old suspects in the studio and phoning in yet again on the virtual jukebox, week 110 or so tonight for a couple of hours. I have huge interest in music chat, but gave up a couple of months ago as it finally became un-listenable in the extreme, which was a shame for something that when it began was a radio highlight of the week to lay in bed listening to. Now I would cite it as a good example of lazy, self indulgent and meaningless radio. Some of the nonsense talked was getting excruciating. It's almost like a private music chat being accidentally overheard via the national airwaves. The vote is also meaningless.

Change the record please!

Talking Danny Baker, and music, he has had a seriously good music discussion series on BBC4 these past week or two, showing how it could and should be done with intelligence and informed debate.
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    The thing about the VD show is why don't they simply admit defeat move it to London, rather than go through the pretence its a Salford based show. 5live should never have moved to Salford in the first place, but I guess that is a different topic.

There's no pretence, as demonstrated by Lone Drinker's weekly spreadsheet of attendance.

Maybe, just maybe, the listening figures demonstrate that she's a popular presenter?
    Forum Member
    I didn’t say I had seen her contract but as usual you like to try and twist it. If I could be bothered I would search for the interviews with AVC and blogs where he said all the main programmes would be presented from Salford. When the likes of Sian Williams and Simon Mayo had to quit as they were unwilling to relocate / commute, are you saying the BBC decided to be more flexible with VD and let her turn up in Salford when she feels like it? It appears she is getting special treatment or management is simply scarred of her with only 27% in Salford. And before you ask no I don’t have signed affidavit that the management is scarred of her so just speculation. :p

Anyway the point I was making was Danny Baker is just two hours on a Saturday, which is a less significant than 5 mornings a week when the rest of the weekday schedule (excluding Mayo on a Friday, Fogarty for PMQs) comes from Salford.

AVK said plenty of things at the time about Salford. But with any large project, some things change. Whatever you think, Victoria clearly does have some arrangements on flexibility which appear to have been negotiated.

It's unlikely we'll ever know the details but I still come back to the point that it's none of your business, especially when certain people qualify their interest in such matters with vile personal comments about the people they're referring too.

But I'm pleased you've accepted that all of this bile is speculation.
    Forum Member
    It's unlikely we'll ever know the details but I still come back to the point that it's none of your business, especially when certain people qualify their interest in such matters with vile personal comments about the people they're referring too.

But I'm pleased you've accepted that all of this bile is speculation.

Rather than simply attacking other posters, what is your opinion?

Do you think it is acceptable after a £1 billion investment in Salford, other staff having to relocate, commute, quit or be made redundant, and a commitment to be less London centric that VD gets special treatment and presents less than 50% of her programmes from Salford?

The following justification by Adrian Van Klaveren for flying Stephen Nolan to Manchester to present his show is relevant to discussions about VD presenting from London in that they can’t have it both ways:

5. Why do you fly Stephen Nolan to Manchester to present his show when he could stay in Belfast and present down the line? How much does it cost to transport him and put him up in Manchester?

Let me say firstly that we always try to achieve the highest quality programme at the best value for money. To produce a live, all-speech three hour radio programme involves far more people than just the presenter. Stephen Nolan's production team are all based in Manchester and are part of a seven day a week operation there which is more efficient to organise than a number of small, individual production teams in different parts of the country. Of course there is a cost involving in bringing Stephen to Manchester and we have tried presenting the programme from Belfast on occasions. But editorially there is a danger of leaving a presenter isolated especially in the event of breaking news so on those occasions we have found it necessary to send a member of the production team to Belfast to make this work smoothly, therefore not making any saving. Of course many media presenters have regularly travelled to London to present programmes over the years, incurring costs as they do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/2010/04/your-questions-answered.shtml

Isn’t this making the argument why VD should be presenting from Salford?
    Forum Member
    Chris Warburton's Satuday Edition is excellent. Plenty of variety of different subjects. It just shows that 5 live can do good programes when they want to, rather than the usual dross and second rate presenters.

I second that, Chris Warburton is a good presenter and is competent when he stands in for VD. I also enjoy Satuday Edition, this kind of magazine format reminds me of Mayo’s old afternoon program and is the kind of thing 5 live should get back to doing weekdays.
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second that, Chris Warburton is a good presenter and is competent when he stands in for VD. I also enjoy Satuday Edition, this kind of magazine format reminds me of Mayo’s old afternoon program and is the kind of thing 5 live should get back to doing weekdays.

Chris Warburton is a senior journo at 5 Live, and spends most his time editing Victoria's show!
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blimey I've read some excuses by the Great Defender but this is pretty desperate stuff.

If you turn the tables and the same principle or reaction of ' its none of your business ' or ' you don't know whats in certain contracts and you are only speculating ' was the only bog standard answer some MP or Captain of Industry came out with when being rigorously interviewed by someone like Derbyshire, then investigative journalism would be dead and there would be outrage by the media itself..Just because you are a presenter on 5live and therefore deem yourself as having some sort of authority to pry into and speculate about other peoples private lives or how a certain business operates, doesn't mean that you are not above criticism and are some how special and shouldn't be held accountable.

BTW is the strike going ahead because quite frankly when the ' ego's ' aren't there and you get just a straight forward news service and get away from this pro Labour ,climate change bias/ propaganda and continual speculation.... 5live is simply so much better.Shift all current presenters out and just have a decent and proper reporting news station...........I wouldn't miss 'em
    Forum Member

BTW is the strike going ahead because quite frankly when the ' ego's ' aren't there and you get just a straight forward news service and get away from this pro Labour ,climate change bias/ propaganda and continual speculation.... 5live is simply so much better.Shift all current presenters out and just have a decent and proper reporting news station...........I wouldn't miss 'em

The strike is going ahead because the BBC is making redundant a number of qualified journalist who could do some of the jobs still being advertised within the corporation.

You might see some big names on they picket line tomorrow but the majority will be behind the scenes folk who produce many of the programmes being criticised in this forum.
    Forum Member

Do you think it is acceptable after a £1 billion investment in Salford, other staff having to relocate, commute, quit or be made redundant, and a commitment to be less London centric that VD gets special treatment and presents less than 50% of her programmes from Salford?

My opinion is that a presenter's personal terms are just that. And asking the question in an aggressive manner is no more than a witch hunt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member

The following justification by Adrian Van Klaveren for flying Stephen Nolan to Manchester to present his show is relevant to discussions about VD presenting from London in that they can’t have it both ways:

5. Why do you fly Stephen Nolan to Manchester to present his show when he could stay in Belfast and present down the line? How much does it cost to transport him and put him up in Manchester?

Let me say firstly that we always try to achieve the highest quality programme at the best value for money. To produce a live, all-speech three hour radio programme involves far more people than just the presenter. Stephen Nolan's production team are all based in Manchester and are part of a seven day a week operation there which is more efficient to organise than a number of small, individual production teams in different parts of the country. Of course there is a cost involving in bringing Stephen to Manchester and we have tried presenting the programme from Belfast on occasions. But editorially there is a danger of leaving a presenter isolated especially in the event of breaking news so on those occasions we have found it necessary to send a member of the production team to Belfast to make this work smoothly, therefore not making any saving. Of course many media presenters have regularly travelled to London to present programmes over the years, incurring costs as they do so.

Good post, personally I think all the main programs should be broadcast from Salford. I agree the arguments made by the former controller to justify Nolan being flown in make the VD situation all the more hard to explain.

Also I don’t think Kermode & Mayo should still be on Friday afternoon with their film show, it might be popular but I feel the format is tired and should be moved to weekends since 5 live is supposed to be a News & Sport station.

My opinion is that a presenter's personal terms are just that. And asking the question in an aggressive manner is no more than a witch hunt.

Streaky's question asking your opinion was hardly aggressive, obviously even you can’t defend the special treatment VD gets. You have gone back to your default mode attack the poster rather than join the debate.

The strike is going ahead because the BBC is making redundant a number of qualified journalist who could do some of the jobs still being advertised within the corporation.

Talking about redundancies, was it right that staff that wouldn't relocate to Salford were made redundant while VD can do whatever she pleases and present from London?
    Forum Member

Streaky's question asking your opinion was hardly aggressive, obviously even you can’t defend the special treatment VD gets. You have gone back to your default mode attack the poster rather than join the debate.

Talking about redundancies, was it right that staff that wouldn't relocate to Salford were made redundant while VD can do whatever she pleases and present from London?

I was referring to those posters who make bitchy personal comments about people, and speculate about the terms of their contracts, without actually knowing any of the facts.

Do I know any more of the facts than anyone else? Probably not. But nor do I think the precise details of who travels where and when, and having evidence of every last receipt is any of my business.

The redundancies I'm talking about are compulsory ones, not ones which some people decided to volunteer for.

Once again, you don't actually know that somone can do "whatever" they please.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referring to those posters who make bitchy personal comments about people, and speculate about the terms of their contracts, without actually knowing any of the facts.

Do I know any more of the facts than anyone else? Probably not. But nor do I think the precise details of who travels where and when, and having evidence of every last receipt is any of my business.

Oh yes of course.. . I see like when Derbyshire day after day devoted her programme to Members of Parliament ( also paid out of public money ) and their expenses and receipts .Was that none of her business as well and she should have kept her nose out of that one.Journalists/Presenters can't have it all their own way.

Aren't you the one that insults and calls other posters who criticise and have an opposite view to you... ' creepy obsessives ? ' That's bitchy and personal coming from you isn't it ?

Still how exciting to see all these ' Big Shot Celebrity 5live Presenters ' on the picket line on Monday.........forget the reasons for the strike ,.my only problem is, will there be enough room for all the egos' ?
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thanks streaky excellent well reasoned post & well done for finding that AVK quote - coincidentally helps answer mapperley's incessant objections when I dare to mention nolan's expenses
    which he/she insists I shouldn't say as I have no proof he doesn't pay his own fares etc...i think that puts that record straight then on that once & for all though I'm sure there will be another answer :P
    - its a PBS & we are entitled to know as much of them as MP's expenses...& obviously they pay everyones fares especially judging by the telegraph travel expenses story...

Yes Salford a massive mistake but they should get on with it - so no.....I think all should be from there now,baker et al contrary to MR saying we only criticise the ones we dont like here..

Whether we like them or not all should or go......but not commuting backwards & forwards either..
    not this halfway house which costs everyone....
This discussion has been closed.