Forget lightning what are the odds of being snapped by the Google Car

clycly Posts: 1,393
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering what are the odds of being captured by the Google car when it's doing it's mapping and how they compare to such things as being struck by lightning or any of many long-odds events?

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you compare the odds of being struck by lightning in a thunderstorm while holding a 100 foot carbon fibre pole and being photographed while leaping out in front of the Google car, I'd put my money on being photographed by Google.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been passed in different locations by the Google car and Google scooter but the pictures on Streetview were clearly taken on different days from when I was there. I wonder why.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I used to be on streetview but they updated it an I'm not there now :( A couple of my mates are on it and one colleague who was running after the car!
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are willing to wait long enough by a road then its a certainty
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    The old street view of my house showed my car number plate was correctly blocked out. My neighbour's number plate was on full view and the car was stolen a few weeks later!!
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    cly wrote: »
    Just wondering what are the odds of being captured by the Google car when it's doing it's mapping and how they compare to such things as being struck by lightning or any of many long-odds events?

I’ve never actually seen a Google cam-car myself but my ‘bessie mate can be clearly seen getting out of his car and walking into his house on ‘streetview’.

My wife’s dad is also clearly visible; he’s stood in his front window, drinking a cup of tea;....however, that’s not so much of a surprise as he spends most of his time doing that!:)

I guess the chance of being ‘caught on Google-camera’ is quite high.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    The streetview of my moms house clearly has her standing in the front garden
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing a back of an envelope calculation...

There are about a quarter of a million miles of road in the UK. Assuming the Google car attempts to map every last inch it is probably travelling a bit more than that as it will almost certainly have to go over some roads several times to cover everything.

So lets say it does 300,000 miles and averages 40mph doing so. That means it comes past wherever you are about once every ten months if we assume that when it gets to the end it goes back to the beginning and starts all over again.

Of course all that falls apart if there is more than one car (which is very likely) :)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've changed it now but for ages Google Earth showed my old neighbour's Great Dane wandering around my front garden. I felt quite sad when they changed it.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be on streetview but they updated it an I'm not there now :( A couple of my mates are on it and one colleague who was running after the car!
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    They've changed it now but for ages Google Earth showed my old neighbour's Great Dane wandering around my front garden. I felt quite sad when they changed it.

You can look at older pictures on Streetview you know- click on the clock icon next to where it tells you when the photo was taken.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on it, stood outside the door with my nephew and the dog.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I've had both - lightning and the Google car. Even my cat is on it eating the catnip plant.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »

There are about a quarter of a million miles of road in the UK. Assuming the Google car attempts to map every last inch it is probably travelling a bit more than that as it will almost certainly have to go over some roads several times to cover everything.

So lets say it does 300,000 miles and averages 40mph doing so. That means it comes past wherever you are about once every ten months if we assume that when it gets to the end it goes back to the beginning and starts all over again.

Of course all that falls apart if there is more than one car (which is very likely) :)

Perhaps the car would be more than likely travelling at 30 mph or less when filming streets in towns and cities. I would hope so, anyway! :o:D
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My father in law was seen working on his garden wall on the old street view picture of his house.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old dog used to be on it lying in the garden. Quite funny really as she was a border collie who absolutely hated being indoors (would happily lie in the snow had to literally be carried into the house) and it was a weekly occurrence that someone from the SSPCA would turn up at the door due to people complaining. In the end up my mum had to give her to a relative :(
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on Google Street view (as per the 2014 revisions) and was on the original one done for my local area too. I guess I was just lucky to be walking down the street when the cars were out, but the first one was at around 9am the second around 1pm.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I was on it, getting out of a car on the way to a valuation, thankfully gone now as it would have been really nice if someone had told me my bum really did look that big in that outfit :blush:
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »

Working out the ‘odds’ of being caught on Google-cam is a very simple mathematical equation.

300,00 mile at 40mph is indeed 10 months approx.

But that assumes continuously driving 24hrs a day for almost a year, and I don’t think even the most dedicated Google-cam driver would be willing, or able, to do that.

In addition all the Google-cam pictures are taken in daylight hours; that needs to be factored-in.... as does the ‘time’ of year.

......more daylight in summer than winter, and more daylight in summer the further North you travel, ...but less in Winter compared to more southern parts of the UK.

The further north you live the more inclement the weather. You are less likely to capture people on Google-cam in the North than the South; northerners very rarely venture outdoors.

Conversely, southerners spend their entire lives sun-bathing in the front garden.....even in winter.

So, using a simple mathematical calculation and factoring-in the above, the ‘average UK’ odds of being caught on Google-cam is 12,387-1
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    My missus used to be on streetview, going through a gate at the end of our road, taking our dogs for a walk in a field.

IIRC, though, the images must've been updated because she's not there any more.

*EDIT*

Yep. Just checked. THIS is the image of the same place now. :(
  • clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool, some really funny answers and some have even tried to calculate. Although clearly one has to take into account good daylight recording conditions. 40mph seems a bit fast though.

I've often noticed that when one is going down a road on Street View and the weather is making the images darker all of a sudden you'll be transported into bright sunshine. At the same time you'll see vehicles and people miraculously appear or disappear. So they clearly do re-runs or alternatively keep the previous versions images if lighting conditions are poor under the new tour.

I was going to point out as well about the fact that those who are bemoaning their loss of 15 minutes of fame can simply click and select from relatively fairly far back in time.

Gee in view of the number of people who have mentioned their appearances on Street View and this being a single fast moving forum and only a tiny, tiny percentage of the population would ever have got to see the thread i'm upset that i seem to be one of the few in the UK not to have appeared on Street View lol.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I've been passed in different locations by the Google car and Google scooter but the pictures on Streetview were clearly taken on different days from when I was there. I wonder why.
    They preview the images first?

:p
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know what the odds are but my work colleague is on it. Trouble is he was supposed to be off sick with a bad back and he was putting his golf clubs in his car!
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    My Mum, Granddad and cat have (separately!) been snapped by the Google van, so I'd presume the odds are quite good :D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on street view in two locations (or I was last time I checked)

EDIT: Just checked, I'm not in either location any more :(
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    The old street view of my house showed my car number plate was correctly blocked out. My neighbour's number plate was on full view and the car was stolen a few weeks later!!

Do car thieve really trawl Google Maps saying: "Nah, numberplate on that one is all blurry - aha, I can read the number, I'm 'aving that one!"