Eggheads

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, if you don't mind me asking what's wrong with Barry? I think he seems like a nice chap - although in fairness I don't think there has ever been an Egghead who I didn't like.

You like CJ ? :o:o:o
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Sorry, if you don't mind me asking what's wrong with Barry? I think he seems like a nice chap - although in fairness I don't think there has ever been an Egghead who I didn't like.

:o You liked Daphne and her "Lucky guesses" ?
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

I always wanted to hit Daphne with CJ. Although I have to admit he does seem to have mellowed this series.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    You like CJ ? :o:o:o
    dee123 wrote: »

Yeah, I do like CJ. I think it's clear that his manner is all an act, I think he's nice in real life.

As for Daphne - yes, I like her as well. As for her lucky guesses, I don't think they are exactly a fake. I think the thing with Daphne is that she's a very knowledgable woman, and a lot of facts are stored in her memory without her necessarily remembering how she knows them or being sure of them. So when she's asked a question and makes a 'lucky guess', it's not exactly that - she found it out somewhere a long time ago and has the answer vaguely in the back of her mind, but she's not totally sure and her memory is good enough that the right answer stands out to her. All of the Eggheads do that. Kevin and Pat often do that as well - it's just about how memories are encoded.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

He just comes across as incredibly oily and slimy. Those horrid swiveling eyes really give me the creeps as does his 'me, me me, I know the answer, miss!' attitude.

I like CJ though. I wish they'd replace 'Eggheads' with 'Revenge of the Egghead'. I much preferred it.
    Forum Member
    He just comes across as incredibly oily and slimy. Those horrid swiveling eyes really give me the creeps as does his 'me, me me, I know the answer, miss!' attitude.

I like CJ though. I wish they'd replace 'Eggheads' with 'Revenge of the Egghead'. I much preferred it.

I think CJ's all right, but I never really understood what he was getting revenge for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I do like CJ. I think it's clear that his manner is all an act, I think he's nice in real life.

Is it an act when he is clearly desperate for the Eggheads to win even if the other team are playing for charity ?
    Forum Member
    Is it an act when he is clearly desperate for the Eggheads to win even if the other team are playing for charity ?

So what are they supposed to do, get questions wrong on purpose so the celebrity teams win? I like charity funding, but at the same time you shouldn't go easy on people because of the charity thing. If you're going to take part in a contest for charity, you should win the money fair and square.
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member

Personally, I don't mind if CJ pretends to be an arse. What does annoy me about him, though, is the way he sits there rolling his eyes at one of the contestants struggling with a question, even though he struggles with plenty of straightforward ones himself.

CJ is never lost for the correct answer (and never ceases to nod his head vigorously and make faces as the answer is being read out) when he's sitting with the other Eggheads. Get him in a room by himself, though, and he's frequently stumped!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So what are they supposed to do, get questions wrong on purpose so the celebrity teams win? I like charity funding, but at the same time you shouldn't go easy on people because of the charity thing. If you're going to take part in a contest for charity, you should win the money fair and square.

I never said that the Eggheads should let another team win.

What annoys me is his desperation to win and his celebrations when the Charity team loses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eggheads were crap today.

Tremendous Knowledge Dave thought that Perth was further north than Cairns because of it's timezone.

My Favourite Chris thought that Geoff Boycott was a fast bowler:o:o:blush:
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tremendous Knowledge Dave thought that Perth was further north than Cairns because of it's timezone.

it was hilarious, good job Pat was there to save them in the final round.
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He had his moments. If he didn't wear his cap to bowl he'd have been t' best fast bowler in t' country.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    I believe Lisa has now won 5 out of 6 head to head's. She looks like a better quizzer than Judith to me, and about equal with CJ.
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    it was hilarious, good job Pat was there to save them in the final round.

Lisa and/or CJ knew all the answers. Pat just confirmed them. They would have still won without Pat in the Final.
    Forum Member
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    I believe Lisa has now won 5 out of 6 head to head's. She looks like a better quizzer than Judith to me, and about equal with CJ.

Lisa and/or CJ knew all the answers. Pat just confirmed them. They would have still won without Pat in the Final.

Not difficult, tbh.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was a bit of a strange reason and it's difficult to see his though process. It shows the difference in question difficulty though, the challenger's equivalent question was "what is the most common last letter for continents"? :D
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is Lisa auditioning for musical theatre. She seems to be using this show as a showcase.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Lisa auditioning for musical theatre. She seems to be using this show as a showcase.
    Such an annoying woman. Give me a million Judiths any day.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    I find her unbearable.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »

Same. She is far too in love with herself.
    Anya D wrote: »
    I find her unbearable.

Me too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched today for the first time in a while and the half hour seemed like an hour. So much 'umming and 'arring going on - what a bore. I agree about the new lady Egghead - does she think she's auditioning for a singing role :confused:
  • magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg! She sang.

I am also wondering if she has watched any of the shows back. It is not just her overbearing personality, smugness and face pulling that distracts me - but over and above the aforementioned she needs a good bra!

I appreciate that this is a personal observation and I should be ashamed of myself but hey ho.

I had thought with Daphne's departure I would no longer shout at the TV during my own evening meal, but alas no.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I find her unbearable.

Phew, thank goodness it's not just me then. I find her extremely irritating, with her simpering smile and constant self put downs, which don't come across as genuine and then to top it all, today we had her singing. My word she does think a lot of herself. I'm not saying she didn't have a good voice, but it's a quiz programme, not the bloody X factor, I bet Judith was squirming.

Yet we've got Kevin, and Pat the most brilliant blokes on the planet IMO who never blow their own trumpet, such lovely guys.

If she's going to be a regular then I'm afraid this show has finally reached the end of it's shelf life for me.

What they should do is make a programme with just her and CJ all to themselves, i'd have no problem giving that a miss.
    Forum Member
    I find her unbearable.

The producers must've known full well that people would find her repulsive, and yet she still got the gig. It seems the louder and more obnoxious you are then the more likely you are to get on TV. I bet Kevin, Pat and Judith despise her.
    Forum Member
    The producers must've known full well that people would find her repulsive, and yet she still got the gig. It seems the louder and more obnoxious you are then the more likely you are to get on TV. I bet Kevin, Pat and Judith despise her.

In interviews, Lisa has been very clear that all seven of her colleagues have been nothing other than 'kind, welcoming and supportive' (her words). Of course, it's possible that she has to say something like that, but I think usually in those situations people aren't actively positive, they just refrain from being actively negative, and Lisa's words make me think that she really is saying how she feels. She said that she thought when she started there'd be a bit of a 'who does she think she is?' attitude among the more experienced Eggheads, but apparently there hasn't been anything like that at all, and they all get on really well and are good friends off set.