Options

Foxsat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
Forum Member
✭✭
hi there, I've been thinking of getting the Humax foxsat HDR for a while now and might get it on Monday to beat the VAT rise, not much but maybe time to take the plunge as I was ireminded on 'liveonsat' that STV don't show much of English football, I was just wondering how portable it is, I have a caravan and times when I took my Thomson DTR up there it was tempramental and took its time to boot and on taking it home would need several attempts to get it going, so I was wondering if the foxsat would behave like that. As I find myself typing this it's my birthday and the wife is out of it with the flue! very quit new year.

Happy New year to you all and hope its a better year for the country.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where you are with a sat box of any description is not really relevant provided you have reception from 28.2/28.5E. Depending on dish size, pretty well anywhere in the UK and in France down to the Spanish border will work with a 60cm dish
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where you are with a sat box of any description is not really relevant provided you have reception from 28.2/28.5E. Depending on dish size, pretty well anywhere in the UK and in France down to the Spanish border will work with a 60cm dish

Thanks for the reply and I maybe didn't make myself clear, I have a static caravan 40 miles from where I live and the Thomson box didn't like being disconected from mains power I had to re=boot several times to get to work at my static and when I took it home and I was wondering if the Humax foxstat would behave the same, doesn't matter whrere the signal comes from just the kit itself being reconnected at each end if this makes sense.

Thanks again
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newbee wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply and I maybe didn't make myself clear, I have a static caravan 40 miles from where I live and the Thomson box didn't like being disconected from mains power I had to re=boot several times to get to work at my static and when I took it home and I was wondering if the Humax foxstat would behave the same, doesn't matter whrere the signal comes from just the kit itself being reconnected at each end if this makes sense.

Thanks again

Should not be a problem at all. I use a foxsat-hd with a portable dish sometimes. In fact the Humax tuners are more sensitive than most.
  • Options
    Alan_TAlan_T Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Hi,

The Foxsat has a "low power standby" mode which is probably almost identical to fully removing mains power, so I wouldn't expect unplugging the box when moving it to be a problem. I regularly take a DTT PVR to another location and have no significant issues, but in this case a full retune is needed. Maybe your problem is particular to the Thomson box.

However, do bear in mind that the LNB (on each dish) performs a frequency conversion (from microwave to UHF) and the frequency offset might not be exactly the same with your two dishes. I believe all sat boxes use some "Automatic Tuning Control" to correct for any variation and drift of the LNB offset frequency. Depending on how this ATC is implemented, I guess there could be an issue if the box doesn't "know" that the LNB has changed.

Cheers, Alan.