should theme parks relax their "minimum height" rules for some rides?

crossbonescrossbones Posts: 778
Forum Member
✭✭
i've been invited to go up to Alton Towers next week, but just checking on their website, they don't seem to have many rides somebody like me with dwarfism, can go on. most rides seem to have a minimum height requirement of 1.2 metres, or 4', which i'm an inch short of. the real thrill rides are 1.4 metres, or 4' 8" so i have no chance. surely they could see that i'm not a kid and give me some leeway? i'm not spending all day riding the bloody ladybirds again. rant over :mad:

Comments

• SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand your anger but I think the major problem is that the safety harness devices are not designed to hold in bodies below a certain height.

They could relax their limit but it would involve redesigning the safety systems.

:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The height restrictions are there for your safety so you don't fall out of the restraints. It's irrelevant to the rider's age!
  • rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the height restrictions are set by the manufacturer of the ride. They have to design the restraints for as many shapes and sizes of people as they can, but they have to draw a line somewhere. Alton Towers is a good park even if you can't go on Nemesis, Air, Oblivion etc.
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i suppose so. i've never really felt that i was disadvantaged in any way. i can drive, i work etc. and then you get something as trivial as this which gets you a bit frustrated lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crossbones wrote: »
    i suppose so. i've never really felt that i was disadvantaged in any way. i can drive, i work etc. and then you get something as trivial as this which gets you a bit frustrated lol
    I know where you're coming from. I think the problem is the restraints have to cope with many different heights, weights and proportions of people and the ride also needs to be quick and easy to load and still be comfortable and safe for everyone.

I'm sure if they used six-point harnesses they could allow more people on and make more exceptions, but then you would have problems with the complexity of them slowing operation down, and - with them being more fiddly - more prone to error when doing them up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosalynn wrote: »
    I know where you're coming from. I think the problem is the restraints have to cope with many different heights, weights and proportions of people and the ride also needs to be quick and easy to load and still be comfortable and safe for everyone.

I'm sure if they used six-point harnesses they could allow more people on and make more exceptions, but then you would have problems with the complexity of them slowing operation down, and - with them being more fiddly - more prone to error when doing them up.

true. i had a try at getting on some at Thorpe Park years and years ago and had the same problem. in fact, they even refunded my my admission. i stopped going to these places because i can understand probably how uncomfortable it might be for the attendants to have to refuse me entry.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    most rides seem to have a minimum height requirement of 1.2 metres, or 4', which i'm an inch short of.

Tried wearing heels?
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Tried wearing heels?

I baulked at this but thinking about it, you could wear HUGE platform boots with baggy jeans over the top. Stealth at Thorpe Park = amaze.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I baulked at this but thinking about it, you could wear HUGE platform boots with baggy jeans over the top. Stealth at Thorpe Park = amaze.

i'd need at least nine inches of heels, i.e. small stilts. i think the ride attendants might be suspicious, especially when they see my arms. :D
  • *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I remember being on this ride once it was one went upside down then it turned me round and round. The times I was hanging upside down my beehind was not on the seat and my shoulders kept feeling like they were coming out of the restraint bit - it was a nightmare, I was terrified and I do like those sort of rides too but I wouldn't go on again after that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Restraints have got a lot better recently it has to be said and the days of being thrown around rides because of a huge gap between restraint and rider are generally in the past.

For example, Rattlesnake at Chessington has a lap bar across two seats, and has a ridiculously high height restriction of 1.4m because if a large adult sits next to a small child, the bar could only come down as far as the adult's lap leaving a big gap between the lap bar and the child's lap (hence the height restriction).

The newer Dragon's Fury has individual lap bars per seat, so if a large adult sits next to a small child, the lap bars comfortably fit each person without any space between the restraint and the person.

Things like this help, but rides with overhead restraints rely on supporting the upper body and if you are short, your head is actually below the overhead part of the restraint reducing its effectiveness to be basically that of a lapbar hence one reason for the height restrictions.

(I worked in a theme park for a couple of seasons if you're wondering why I'm such a nerd)
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend and I went on a ride at Blackpool, both of us are over 6ft, when we got off the ride we both said to the fella standing at the "you must be this tall" sign that they needed an upper height limit as there were two or three places on the ride where, if we hadn't ducked, we'd possibly have smashed out heads off something!

There's a ride elsewhere (Chessington IIRC) that has a harness that's too small if you're over 6ft tall, and we complained about that. There is a sign now that says you have to be between 4'6" and 6" tall on that ride now.

We were going to travel the world testing out 'coasters and complaining if they weren't safe/suitable for tall people ...
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Only if it's acceptably safe to do so.

Without knowing the actual risk of injury with the current height guidelines, and the risk level should the guidelines be relaxed, how is anyone supposed to make an informed comment?
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember being on this ride once it was one went upside down then it turned me round and round. The times I was hanging upside down my beehind was not on the seat and my shoulders kept feeling like they were coming out of the restraint bit - it was a nightmare, I was terrified and I do like those sort of rides too but I wouldn't go on again after that.

Oblivion was (not) fun. Having my weight thrown against the harness when tilting over the edge was horrible!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've been invited to go up to Alton Towers next week, but just checking on their website, they don't seem to have many rides somebody like me with dwarfism, can go on. most rides seem to have a minimum height requirement of 1.2 metres, or 4', which i'm an inch short of. the real thrill rides are 1.4 metres, or 4' 8" so i have no chance. surely they could see that i'm not a kid and give me some leeway? i'm not spending all day riding the bloody ladybirds again. rant over :mad:

There may be an argument for engineers rethinking their design parameters, but the height limits reflect the existing designs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There may be an argument for engineers rethinking their design parameters, but the height limits reflect the existing designs.

i think that is what i wanted to say, instead of ranting about what theme parks are apparently stuck with. thankyou tonysidaway :)