Options

Help, nose won't stop running!

ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
Forum Member
✭✭
Please no "put your foot on it" jokes. ;-)

I've had a cracker of a cold/virus for the past few days and last night my nose and eyes started streaming, with regular sneezing thrown in. Due to this I've had no sleep, as every time I start to relax my nose or eyes will start running or I sneeze and I have to sit up and wipe/blow. This is literally continuous. (I've had to stop twice while typing this to wipe my nose and stop it dripping on my tablet!).

I've tried a nasal spray but it's done nothing. I have decongestants but they seem to say they only shrink the blood vessels so the nose isn't blocked, that's not the problem.

Anyone got any tips? I am desperate for some rest. I considered an antihistamine, might that help?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No tips, but I'm exactly the same. I've spent most of the morning walking back and forth to the toilet to blow my nose. My eyes have been Dracula'd, headache, fever, aching, sore throat, running nose and irritating cough all over the last 3 days.

It's infuriating.

Family birthday party tonight as well. I booked tomorrow off work so I could have a few sherbets. I really don't fancy it and it looks like I'll be ill on my day off and probably a good chunk of easter.

It's infuriating.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I get like this I dose up on paracetamol and inhale vicks vaporub from boiling water vapours, I've got sinus problems so any time I get a cold I spend 3 weeks day and night with my nose running like a tap.

Fresh air can help sometimes, Anyway hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ta both, yeah Ginger that's the same symptoms I have. Am alternating paracetamols and ibuprofen for the fever and aches. I just know I'd feel better if I could get some sleep.

SJ, I agree fresh air does help but as I have M.E. this virus has me totally bed bound at the moment. Besides which, if I did go out people would think the zombie uprising had begun with the way I look.

Have taken an anti-histamine. It can't hurt and I'm desperate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night Nurse usually helps me sleep when I have a cold. In the day I just let it run its course.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell your doctor to try different nose sprays. I went through a lot before I found one that worked. I'll edit this post later with the name.
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menthol crystals dissolved in a steam cup can dry you up for a better nights sleep. It's about £4 for a little tube of the stuff but it lasts ages and really gets to places other cant! Just ask your pharmacist if your well enough to get out.
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menthol crystals dissolved in a steam cup can dry you up for a better nights sleep. It's about £4 for a little tube of the stuff but it lasts ages and really gets to places other cant! Just ask your pharmacist if your well enough to get out.

I misread that as crystal meth:eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    richclever wrote: »
    I misread that as crystal meth:eek::eek:

That would probably take your mind of your cold.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Go get some sudafed fantastic stuff. They do a range of them which best suits you.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use paracetamol/codeine effervescent tablets from boots calle Co-Codamol. They're like Solpadeineubut without the caffeine. They seem to obliterate symptoms for about 4 hours.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    This is probably bad advice but i have a bad cold and sickness bug atm and my nose is always running. When im in bed i roll up toilet roll and put it up my nose (with a lot sticking out so it dont get lost!) it helps me sleep because im not constantly aware its running. There may be a problem if it goes in too far though!

My main problem is waking in the night due to aches and pains and my mouth being so dry that its so painful to swallow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member

Brillaint stuff..I use a boiled kettle and disssolve some in the sink..put towel over head and breathe it in..goes all up nose and down ya throat,, cleras you in an instant..keep repaeting it day and night :p
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Brillaint stuff..I use a boiled kettle and disssolve some in the sink..put towel over head and breathe it in..goes all up nose and down ya throat,, cleras you in an instant..keep repaeting it day and night :p

Its a little undiscovered gem isn't it!

Great for recurrent sinus problems too.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    antihistamine will do it.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was like this for a week or two, it drove me to distraction.
    I hate it when the inside of your nose gets sore with the constant wiping and blowing, I find if you put vasaline in a tissue and twirl it around the inside of your nose, it doesn't half help.
    For the stuffiness I swear by Olbas oil, a bit on a tissue clears your head good style.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Its a little undiscovered gem isn't it!

Great for recurrent sinus problems too.
    yea, its great when all blocked up etc :)
    For the stuffiness I swear by Olbas oil, a bit on a tissue clears your head good style.

this is good too..put on tissue and sniff, or on ya pillow case at night :)
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get bout of days of the runny nose - just bought a big bag of cotton wool balls and stuff 1/2 one up each nostril - made for a gunky removal the next morning but there was no runnyness during the night which is the thing you were after.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    I used to get bout of days of the runny nose - just bought a big bag of cotton wool balls and stuff 1/2 one up each nostril - made for a gunky removal the next morning but there was no runnyness during the night which is the thing you were after.

Always thought someone should market nasal tampons, they work a treat.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you should probably run after it then :)

I have no advice, but I hope you feel better soon :) x
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always thought someone should market nasal tampons, they work a treat.

nasal tampons - when you feel like your nose is having a period.

^ sure, I'd buy some of those. :D