Public Opinion being used for Welfare..why not other things?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
Forum Member
✭✭✭
apparently Cameron has written in one of the sundays about more welfare reforms and who the public support.
So again If public opinion is so important why not have an EU vote before 2015?

why not listen to public opinion and sack Osbourne?

or better still why not just call a General Election.

isn't that the danger when they put so much credence in public opinion. People will soon demand why he's being so selective when he listens to it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonburn wrote: »
    apparently Cameron has written in one of the sundays about more welfare reforms and who the public support.
    So again If public opinion is so important why not have an EU vote before 2015?

why not listen to public opinion and sack Osbourne?

or better still why not just call a General Election.

isn't that the danger when they put so much credence in public opinion. People will soon demand why he's being so selective when he listens to it.

They only seem to care about public opinion when it goes along with their own policies. :(

I would love a referendum on the EU, in fact that was one of the many reasons I voted conservative, I feel cheated that Cameron has went back on that promise and is now saying we will have one AFTER the next election.

I won't be falling for it again.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They make public opinion fit their dogma by lies and innuendo
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love a referendum on the EU...

Don't expect any British politician to fulfill your desire. Otherwise, they leave themselves a hostage to fortune.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    Don't expect any British politician to fulfill your desire. Otherwise, they leave themselves a hostage to fortune.

What about UKIP? Isn't that their main aim to give us a referendum?
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The promise of a referendum on the EU is a potential election deal buster.

They don't want to waste that by doing it now when it could be used as an election promise. Besides, I suspect the deal with the Lib-Dems is what stopped it happening this term.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Politicians will say it's what the public wants if they think it has majority support. Otherwise it's simply 'the right thing to do'. Sometimes it's both, especially when they know as well as everyone else that the polls they've used to gauge public opinion are pretty bogus.