Options

Hiring a car - but left my paper counterpart licence behind

SplotSplot Posts: 600
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone know any firms that do this? I could kick myself but I only have the card part. Argh.

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Enterprise renting a car on Saturday. The person in front of me didn't have their paper counterpart so rang home and got them to scan and email it to them, which they accepted. Is that an option?
  • Options
    SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I was in Enterprise renting a car on Saturday. The person in front of me didn't have their paper counterpart so rang home and got them to scan and email it to them, which they accepted. Is that an option?

It might be. Thanks, hadn't thought of that.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt there are any companies that have an official policy to only require the photocard part, it sometimes just comes down to the person at the desk as to whether they ask for it or not. I've certainly hired cars from Hertz and only showed the photocard but I've also often been asked for the counterpart.

Could you get it scanned and emailed or faxed to you? That might work. I think they're being phased out next year. not that that will help you now.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I know when I go to America they always say you need the paper part, but I've never been asked for it. So now I've gone and lost the paper part, and had to get a new one, because sure as hell they will ask me this year.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know when I go to America they always say you need the paper part, but I've never been asked for it. So now I've gone and lost the paper part, and had to get a new one, because sure as hell they will ask me this year.

I rent cars regularly in the U.S., and can't recall ever being asked for the paper part.
    I was in Georgia in June, and picked up a car in Athens, and dropped it at Fort Myers Fl. airport.
    My wife still has the old style one, and the Dollar and Alamo clerks always say "When are you going to catch up with the 21st. century?"
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Well wasn't going to take the risk of them asking. Thing is they need the paper part to check endorsements etc, but as you said they never ask. Not sure if in America some renters realise there's another part to our license.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just scan mine and keep a PDF copy on my phone - same with passport details and driving license photo card. (My files are password protected!).
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hired a car from Enterprise without having either part of my licence - I had sent it to the DVLA for a change of address, then was hit in an accident and the other driver's insurer sorted out a courtesy car for me. It wasn't a problem, I bought along my passport to confirm my identity and the Enterprise guy called the DVLA to check that I had a licence. There was a charge of about £7 (I think) for that.