Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    Scottish voting patterns in Westminster Elections are difficult to predict.

Despite turning towards the SNP in 2007 and 2011, Labour returned the largest share of the vote in 2010, improving on its 2005 performance.

Which fits perfectly with my phrase reasonable assumption.I never predicted a wipeout for labour,I predicted a few fiefdoms likely falling from their grasp.

Westminister elections arent 100% easy too predict but that doesnt stop people civily trying:)

The 2015 election is taking place in a much different context to the 2010 one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ....where did I say they were exactly? I said they COULD be, multiple times, IF things go wrong. Do you even read what other people post?

Yes I do.

My very obvious point was your comparision wasnt strong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know the bitter ones are a minority and at no point said they were anything but. In fact, by putting 'the bitter ones' I imply a group of people, who I have outlined previously multiple times in this thread (and even on the posts around the one you quoted) as being a small group. I have never said otherwise, and have never claimed the majority are. The fact you've picked on the one post on this thread where I don't put this then accused me of making sweeping statements JUST because I haven't put on that ONE post is pathetic. Nowhere have I made a sweeping statement about all yes voters, including in that post. Oddly enough I know twitter is a mixed bag and I don't really need you to explain that to me, as I have never claimed otherwise nor intimated such.

Sorry to inform you that I have NO knowledge of your posting history so pathetic doesnt come into it.
    If I have misunderstood you I am sorry but I contend that your post as read could easily be interpreted in the way I did.I didnt see your post as naming a subgroup of twitter yes voters as bitter but rather that you were singling out twitter users as a subgroup that is especially bitter.

I do not however appreciate being called pathetic for an interpretation of your post that was reasonable and not malicious.:)

I do feel this referendum has helped to renergise debate per se on this politics forum and that makes me very happy that my beloved Scotland has caused this!
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to inform you that I have NO knowledge of your posting history so pathetic doesnt come into it.
    If I have misunderstood you I am sorry but I contend that your post as read could easily be interpreted in the way I did.I didnt see your post as naming a subgroup of twitter yes voters as bitter but rather that you were singling out twitter users as a subgroup that is especially bitter.

I do not however appreciate being called pathetic for an interpretation of your post that was reasonable and not malicious.:)

I do feel this referendum has helped to renergise debate per se on this politics forum and that makes me very happy that my beloved Scotland has caused this!

I apologise for putting pathetic, but you could see why I was annoyed. I specifically made sure not to make out the majority of yes voters aren't bitter or interested in these conspiracies, I have said that multiple times on purpose because I didn't want to give that impression. I know its just a minority, but a vocal one who seem to be joining the SNP in large numbers and trying to get a re-count of the whole election based on flimsy evidence and their own dis-belief at losing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see SNP people are claiming it's inevitable that one day Scotland will vote for independence. Won't the oil be nearly gone in 15-20 years? If you look at the figures for the amount of barrels being extracted it's a straight line down on the graph from a peak of 15 years ago.

North Sea oil production since 1970

I know the SNP talk of possible new oil fields but isn't the best guide what is actually being taken out of the ground?
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see SNP people are claiming it's inevitable that one day Scotland will vote for independence. Won't the oil be nearly gone in 15-20 years? If you look at the figures for the amount of barrels being extracted it's a straight line down on the graph from a peak of 15 years ago.

North Sea oil production since 1970

I know the SNP talk of possible new oil fields but isn't the best guide what is actually being taken out of the ground?

I read somewhere that even the predictions that were being bandied around pre-referendum for how many barrels are left take into account that there will be some new finds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    I read somewhere that even the predictions that were being bandied around pre-referendum for how many barrels are left take into account that there will be some new finds.

Presumably every now and then there have been finds over the last 15 years but it hasnt stopped the amount of oil extracted being greatly reduced from the peak.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the latest analysis from yougov on the age of voters suggest only the age group 26 to 39 voted yes. All 4 of the other age categories voted no. I hope that puts some of the misinformation to bed.
  • Options
    CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I see the latest analysis from yougov on the age of voters suggest only the age group 26 to 39 voted yes. All 4 of the other age categories voted no. I hope that puts some of the misinformation to bed.

You're joking, you mean those evil 16 to 25 year olds prevented independence for their elders... oh well at least they'll be firm YES voters in 10 years time!! ;-)
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Had an interesting time with two SNP supporting colleagues today. I thought I'd be in for some stick because I was a no voter but they were more interesting in arguing with each other. Younger one blamed the over 55s for the defeat while the older, more moderate one, blamed Salmond! Even going as far as to say that he "blew it" and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with his attitude.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron has been caught on camera saying how relieved the Queen was at the NO win. :p
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it seems according to Christine Grahame old people voted no because they weren't on social media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    So it seems according to Christine Grahame old people voted no because they weren't on social media.

Good grief. Social media is excellent at communication, but a terrible way to win a political campaign. The amount of Yessers claiming their family had turned from voting No to voting Yes was hilariously inflated by wishful thinking. It also leads to people becoming unwilling to declare their intent or just saying they'll vote yes so they stop getting hounded by the yes campaign, a proportion of which is beginning to show its lack of tolerance for those that disagree with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh no it won't, those polls will be ignored by the fringe loons and the original one will be held up as the 'true' poll.
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passion after the event is largely irrelevant.

Is that a quote from someone?
    Doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    geemonkee wrote: »
    Is that a quote from someone?
    Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think he means its like people getting inspired to play tennis after watching Wimbledon and a week later the tennis racquets are back in a cupboard gathering dust for another year

lots of people have got passionate about politics because of the referendum but as the weeks go on and real life priorities start to take over again that passion will fade
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no idea who she is but someone needs to explain to her the difference between casual and causal relationships.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all scapegoating looking for the reason they lost. Refusing to take on the most simple and most likely explanation- most Scots simply didn't want independence.
  • Options
    lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I have no idea who she is but someone needs to explain to her the difference between casual and causal relationships.

unfortunately for me, i do know who she is, she is my MSP, though i didnt vote for her >:( she is awfull and seems to have " lost the plot" a few years ago
  • Options
    Mc256Mc256 Posts: 362
    Forum Member

Ungratefull old gits take the free prescriptions bus passes and fuel allowance off them unless they they have signed up to an 18 month broadband contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I apologise for putting pathetic, but you could see why I was annoyed. I specifically made sure not to make out the majority of yes voters aren't bitter or interested in these conspiracies, I have said that multiple times on purpose because I didn't want to give that impression. I know its just a minority, but a vocal one who seem to be joining the SNP in large numbers and trying to get a re-count of the whole election based on flimsy evidence and their own dis-belief at losing.

Fair dos we both misunderstood each other and Im happy to call a truce and move on from our clash:)
  • Options
    lizbetlizbet Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    It's all scapegoating looking for the reason they lost. Refusing to take on the most simple and most likely explanation- most Scots simply didn't want independence.

Exactly, but many are refusing to believe it,... God help us ...everyday on my facebook is another conspiracy theory about rigged votes, or that we will have another referendum soon as the SNP are gaining new members by the bucket load. So much for One Scotland which was the backdrop words when Alex Salmond conceded on Friday morning. This one Scotland is divided at the moment and he is doing nothing to help the division he just keeps stirring the pot
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's already been posted here, statement by the chief counting officer on the alleged allegations

http://scotlandreferendum.info/chief-counting-officer-issues-statement/
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As if that will change anything, they'll just claim she was "in on it", as is always the way with conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    As if that will change anything, they'll just claim she was "in on it", as is always the way with conspiracy theories.

Exactly.