BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the video cringeworthy, until the 1D comment 😂
  • Options
    Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno its good that they are willing to point stuff like this out and go against it because discrimination does happen with some other supposed news networks plus I think the fans outside the US may have thought it was real because the show isn't really know outside the US
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically if they're bringing Zayn specifically into it despite the fact he wasn't even mentioned suggests that THEY are the racists, by associating terrorism with him as opposed to any of the others
  • Options
    Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    Ironically if they're bringing Zayn specifically into it despite the fact he wasn't even mentioned suggests that THEY are the racists, by associating terrorism with him as opposed to any of the others

True but I think I've seen stories with people accusing him of people a terrorist before{trolls on twitter etc} so I guess the past attacks on him would have caused the reaction and the bringing of him into it too
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Well One Direction have been terrorizing my ears since 2010 what's the issue with the video?
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the way the incident and the fan response are being written about is really appalling. You've got publications like the Washington Post comparing One Direction fans to ISIS and there's this distasteful dismissiveness of teenage girls/young women as though them protesting about racism/Islamophobia is a thousand times worse and deserving of ridicule/insult than a bunch of football hooligans for instance. The joke itself was in poor taste, why even throw Hamas and ISIS in the same league, they're not the same thing. It wasn't good satire but Jon Stewart is wildly overrated so I'm not surprised.

Having seen the Islamophobic/racist nonsense people lobbed at Zayn Malik after his Palestine tweet and the times it's happened before, it would've been better for the Daily Show to just never have used the joke in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess they thought one unnamed member of 1D had left the band and joined the terrorist group. That might mean the band would split up, and that would be serious. How relieved they must have been when it was all explained to them.

Bless!
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    FFS! Silly kids with zero sense of humour or in fact any sense at all!

NEWSFLASH: 1D will not be marrying any of you!
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FFS! Silly kids with zero sense of humour or in fact any sense at all!

NEWSFLASH: 1D will not be marrying any of you!

But it actually wasn't a very funny joke. In fact anything to do with ISIS can never be funny is on a par with making fun of disabled people
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many of the fans didn't understand what type of program The Daily Show is (and why would they, they're not American) so I can't blame them for perceiving it to be the thing that it satirises. I see it as TDS included 1D because it is seen as a bland and harmless pop group, probably the writers don't know one member is half-Pakistani (which is a shame because there are few other people like him in the music industry).

The piling in on the fans is mean-spirited though. Media outlets did what they always do and selected a few melodramatic tweets and tarred all 1D fans - and by extension teenage girls - with the same brush. This week Mario Ballotelli got racist abuse and yet nothing was said about football fans in general, even though hooliganism still happens. I wouldn't want to be on a bus with upset Millwall supporters.
    They aren't pleasant but no one takes death threat tweets from directioners and beliebers seriously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigh all Directioners are such retards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    But it actually wasn't a very funny joke. In fact anything to do with ISIS can never be funny is on a par with making fun of disabled people

I accidentally did that once :(. One of my closest friends has cerebral palsy and we were sitting on her bed drinking and I got carried away and we were having a bit of banter, like everything she said I turned it back on her in the most childish way possible i.e "your Mum"- "YOUR Mum" "you look silly"- " YOU look silly"and that went on exactly like that for 5 minutes and then I stumbled off the bed and she said "you can't even walk" and I said "YOU can't walk" and then remembered she is disabled... luckily she found it hilarious.

I agree that the joke wasn't funny and it was in bad taste btw :)