Options

UK's most underpaid profession?

Comments

• Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Exactly, workers are like any commodity.

If a job can easily be done by practically anyone, the pay will reflect how easy it is to attract / retain staff.

If you need someone with a very rare and specific set of skills, you have to pay what they want.

Domiciliary care cannot easily be done by anyone as it's incredibly difficult, demanding, challenging, draining, etc, and requires a very rare personality to do well for any significant length of time. However, for political and economic reasons employers merely want the job done, rather than done well, so they pay minimum wage and open the job up to anyone. As a result staff turnover is incredibly high (for many private providers it is 100%+ over a couple of years) and standards are incredibly low. Occasionally a scandalous death or case of abuse will shake the system up for a couple of months, but nothing more significant (or costly) than that.
  • Options
    NonaNona Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    Council workers get a lot more than most.

/snip

I wish that were true! :cry:
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    Bin men.

Not really a "profession". Though salaries do start at £26K around here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Nursery nurses in private nurserys.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkidd85 wrote: »
    Would like your opinion on what you think is the most underpaid UK profession?

Care workers, teachers and nurses seem to get a lot of sympathy.

I think paramedics get paid a pittance for what they do.

What do you guys think?

Actually paramedics were one of my first thoughts too
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Police start on 19k a year now, which imo is very low for around the clock working, many security officers earn far more, for dealing with less. After around 6yrs it jumps up a fair bit though.

I read somewhere that policeman get free prescriptions, I think they used to but cannot find any recent info to say they still do
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Any job to do with cleaning
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone on the low end of catering. Horrible hours. Split shifts , work holidays like Christmas Easter etc, terrible pay dependent on tips. Generally rude ignorant customers.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flibustier wrote: »
    Admin.

Where I work admin assistants earn 19-24.5k per year, I though that was pretty decent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that policeman get free prescriptions, I think they used to but cannot find any recent info to say they still do

I dont think thats the case tbh, anyway even if it was its not really that much of a bonus.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Flibustier wrote: »
    Admin.

I think that depends where you work. In my place of work the admins are usually paid the same if not more (sometimes up to two bands higher) than the lower level nursing staff.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    How would you define profession?

Any job or one which requires a significant period of training (2+ years)?

I am not sure "cleaning" is a profession ....
    I would say the individuals cleaning blood and brain matter of the walls of murder scenes would probably qualify as a profession

Unless your happy to do the nitty gritty yourself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I think that depends where you work. In my place of work the admins are usually paid the same if not more (sometimes up to two bands higher) than the lower level nursing staff.

I work at a uni and admin pays pretty well. I just had a look, but there are no jobs here, but I had a look at a nearby Uni and for a Travel and Expenses Services Administrator job, the pay is even better at £22029 to £26274 per annum.
  • Options
    bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    I would say the individuals cleaning blood and brain matter of the walls of murder scenes would probably qualify as a profession

Unless your happy to do the nitty gritty yourself

It doesn't matter if you are cleaning chip wrappers off the street or brains from a murder scene. It's wiping and using a mop and bucket. Anyone can do it, and most people do in their own homes. I'm not saying it isn't a valuable profession, cleaners are much needed, but let's not pretend it's anything other than it is - cleaning things.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    fainéant wrote: »
    Agreed. Cleaning, bin men, etc., whilst very worthy jobs, are not professions and doubtful if they would even count as careers.

Course they can count as careers, for instance, our Head of Facilities, Facilities Site Managers and supervisors all started as cleaners (NHS)
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    How would you define profession?

Any job or one which requires a significant period of training (2+ years)?

I am not sure "cleaning" is a profession ....

This is what I would class as a profession, so for the most part, jobs requiring university training-doctors, vets, teachers, nurses, dentists etc.

Care workers are paid disgracefully low wages. They have tremendous responsibility to look after the infirm. Home carers are keeping the NHS going! Without them the NHS would go into meltdown. I don't know how these carers cope.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a job advertised in a small museum. It sounded interesting and was part time and then I got down to the wage and it was only about £8 an hour and THEN it said they would like you to have a degree in archaeology. I couldn't believe it!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teachers
    Nurses
    Firefighters
    Care workers
    Teaching Assistants
    Shop/catering staff
    Cleaners
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I saw a job advertised in a small museum. It sounded interesting and was part time and then I got down to the wage and it was only about £8 an hour and THEN it said they would like you to have a degree in archaeology. I couldn't believe it!

Wow! A whole £8 AN HOUR?!? :o

I'll glady get into all that student debt of over £20,000 for such a job!
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Certainly teachers given what they do and even more so child-care workers, the latter of whom seem to be often on minimum wage.

Nurses could certainly do with a little more but I've heard 30k is a quite common salary for the profession, which seems fairly respectable.

This depends. Staff nurses earn between 21-28K depending on experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    For the hours I work (12 hours a day, approx 20-25 days per month on average, taking into account holidays) I get paid between £4.60 to £5 an hour. A lot of older teachers are on very comfortable salaries but younger teachers are paid clearly below the average salary in the UK for little to no free time at all during term time.

However, I do think there are others who are much more underpaid than us. Military, nurses and carers come to mind first.

You have never been paid less than the minimum wage, it's illegal.

I was in the RN and if you equated my wages and the hours I could work it would be a pittance. If you're on a ship at sea you can't spend the money anyway.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Premiership footballers

ETA - More seriously, soldiers and Royal Marines? Get shot at and possibly killed, all for the princely salary of circa. £20,000, less tax (and deductions for accommodation, food and whatever else). What's not to love?
    Actually not quite as poorly paid as you think!
    Surprising too how quickly some will climb through the ranks once promoted.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoebica wrote: »
    Why are people saying teachers? I have several teacher friends who all say they are happy with their salary - plus all the time off they get! If I had the patience I'd happily be a teacher! As if it's the most underpaid profession.

People who put their lives at risk are, in my opinion, the most underpaid. Military workers etc. And I guess some nurses too, they often do all the dirty work for little pay.
    No idea. :confused:

My mate used to roll out of bed when everyone else had long been at work, leave the house at 8.40am, have a one hour lunch break, and be back home by 4pm latest. Earned well above national average income. 14 weeks paid holiday every year and retired at 52 on final salary pension.

His 'moan' when he was still working as a teacher?

Any other worker can take time off whenever they want but a teacher has to wait for the holidays to come round!

Wow......just wow!! >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    No idea. :confused:

My mate used to roll out of bed when everyone else had long been at work, leave the house at 8.40am, have a one hour lunch break, and be back home by 4pm latest. Earned well above national average income. 14 weeks paid holiday every year and retired at 52 on final salary pension.

His 'moan' when he was still working as a teacher?

Any other worker can take time off whenever they want but a teacher has to wait for the holidays to come round!

Wow......just wow!! >:(

When was this... The 1960s?

There is no way what you describe above can be true today.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carers without a doubt. Providing essential personal and medical care to the most vulnerable in society for minimum wage under awful conditions.

Yes, carers would be my choice as well. My father in laws carers have to do the most personal things for him, without them he just couldnt manage and all they get is the minimum wage.