Karen Carpenter

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
Forum Member
Truly one of the purist most beautiful voices ever - there'll never be another like her.

Comments

• myoldmatemyoldmate Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen was outstanding and we was robbed by her passing.

Goodbye To Love is my fave.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    just listening to the Gold album (the only album I own of theirs) - just keep getting shivers listening to her voice.....and have now ordered 8 studio albums!
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Truly one of the purist most beautiful voices ever - there'll never be another like her.

Agreed. Fantastic voice. Great songs.
    Forum Member
    Their version of Ticket To Ride shits all over The Beatles (is that sacrilege??)
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superb voice.
    Tragic personal story though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    The voice of an angel. And so full of emotion-just listen to Rainy Days and Mondays and try not to well up :cry:
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indeed one of the most beautiful female voices in pop... however not all of their material was that good. her voice was perfect for ballads/slow wistful love songs, (rainy days and mondays, weve only just begun, (they long to be) close to you, yesterday once more etc) fantastic tracks ...but utterly wasted on drivel like 'please mr postman', 'jambalaya', 'top of the world'..
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    she did have a lovely singing voice, very warm and friendly - some of the songs were awful tho, On Top of The World springs to mind.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silly song but one of my all time favourites

calling occupants...
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    ditto such a pure voice...so easy on the ear and she made it look effortless....I too find Calling Occupants spine tingling....

as I have grown older I have also grown to appreciate the soild vocals of Ella Fitzgerald:)
    Forum Member
    ditto such a pure voice...so easy on the ear and she made it look effortless....I too find Calling Occupants spine tingling....

as I have grown older I have also grown to appreciate the soild vocals of Ella Fitzgerald:)

Agreed - when you see who's infesting the charts today you have little option other than to step back in time - Kylie was so right
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Karen has got to be my all time favourite female vocalist alongside Dusty Springfield. Listening to songs like Only Yesterday and Superstar are truly spine-tingling.
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think she had one of the purest tones of pop music too. Had a lovely, low set sulrty voice that was never forced out of its comfort zone, so effortless! Love the opening to Rainy Days and Mondays.

Who remembers on SMTV when they'd get up and do the dance to Please Mr Postman before they read out the snail-mail?
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedlem wrote: »
    Yes I think she had one of the purest tones of pop music too. Had a lovely, low set sulrty voice that was never forced out of its comfort zone, so effortless! Love the opening to Rainy Days and Mondays.

Who remembers on SMTV when they'd get up and do the dance to Please Mr Postman before they read out the snail-mail?

At a push I could probably still do the dance routine :D

I love K.Carpenter but only when in the right mood, her voice has that melancholy feel to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I love about Karen Carpenter is how she didn't rely on vocal gymnastics to show off. You can just sit back and listen and it's so relaxing.

While I'm a fan of singers like Leona and Alexandra, I am tired of the industry seeming to believe that's the only way people should sing now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing voice, amazing talent.Music icon.

Close to You is my favourite.

I'm mostly a fan of r n b and soul singers, but this lady was something else.
  • themadmonkthemadmonk Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    One of the greatest female voices of all time! Every time i hear Superstar it brings a tear to my eye.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,207
    Forum Member
    I rate I Need To Be In Love highly, was Karen's favourite as well apparently,
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    themadmonk wrote: »
    One of the greatest female voices of all time! Every time i hear Superstar it brings a tear to my eye.

Oh me too !!!

That and Rainy Days and Mondays!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I grew up on her music(mum is a big fan).
    I really love "Merry christmas darling" and listen to it throughout the year:o
  • ForerroRocherForerroRocher Posts: 10,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love listening to The Carpeneters. That voice is just stunning.

I grew up with their music, and my parents used to (and still often do) play the Greatest Hits CD in the car whenever we're going on Holiday. Just stunning and never fails to make me smile.

I think my favourite changes constantly, but I'm currently loving "Hurting Each Other"
    Forum Member
    I look forward to hearing some album tracks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see myself becoming a fan.

I'm past the stage of knowing who she is & all she achieved and I'm now getting curious about her music. I've heard a few Carpenter songs and really like them. I'm just trying to get up to speed with everything Kate Bush at the minute, lol...
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, she had one of those voices that needed no accompaniment. My favourite has to be Goodbye to Love.:)
  • EndemoniadoEndemoniado Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When she wasn't encumbered by dodgy, schmaltzy material, Karen Carpenter was a true superstar.