Options

Atlantis - Series 1 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Comments

• Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think it's the thing now to have an official Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter pages up before your show launches.

Good start for Atlantis in that regard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    In case someone missed it, here's the official Facebook page: facebook.com/bbcatlantis
    Beautiful image in the header.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks gorgeous.

Nice to see the promotion for the show getting bigger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    GBali wrote: »
    How cool is this!
    And this is the riddle of the Sphinx from the tale of Oedipus.

Although it's a nice idea, it was obviously put in by someone who didn't think the practicalities through because the question/riddle isn't actually on (and can't be put on) the 'password' page which is a bit odd...

While more importantly, password protected tumblr blogs can't be followed... not so good for judging social media interaction and for fans to keep updated!

Still, at least they're in there early and seem to have made the actual pages look slick... all we need now is a trailer :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    BBC America just announced that Atlantis will premiere in the US on Saturday, November 23, the same night the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special airs in the UK and US.

My guess is that BBC One will be starting Atlantis earlier than this, but BBC America wants to use the Who special, which will probably give the channel its highest-ever single-broadcast rating (current high is the Who S7.1 premiere, which had 1.555 million viewers), as a lead-in from 8-10pm, (assuming it is a 90-minute special), followed by Atlantis from 10-11pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, the 50th annyversary special will be the lead-in to the US premier of Atlantis. Also Howard Overman and Johnny Capps was guest at the current Television Critics Association event in America where a trailer was presented to the press.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hoping to tap into the fantasy trend, BBCA will premiere “Atlantis” on the heels of Dr. Who in Nov. The series has Jason (Jack Donnelly) washing up in an ancient land filled with Greek characters from mythology and reality, including Hercules, Pythagoras and Medusa. No need to find your Greek mythology text, however; “We play fast and loose with mythology…it gives us a lot material,” creator and exec prod Howard Overman said. For example, played by pudgy, 50-year-old Mark Addy, Hercules is far from the muscular he-man we’d expect. Addy thought the producers “were drunk” when they asked him to play the part. In season one, we see Medusa (Jemima Rooper) before she’s discovered her hirsute powers. And “there’s no guarantee that my head will be cut off,” Rooper said. While the series’ plots can get dark, “there’s always humor to counterbalance it,” said creator and exec prod Johnny Capps.
    :D

(source)

And a bit more:
    Capps and Overman came to TCA to present the series with two of the stars, Jemima Rooper, who plays a not yet snake-haired Medusa and Mark Addy, who plays an unconventional Hercules ("for a fat 50-year-old actor, it's brilliant"). (Jack Donnelly, who plays Jason, wasn't present.) Of the way "Atlantis" plays "fast and loose" with familiar myths, Overman said that "there's a vast treasure chest of characters and stories we can draw on. We'll use what works. I'm sure there will be some Greek scholars who get very angry about what we've done."

"The tone of the show is very dark," Capps added, "but we wanted to have fun as well... the dynamic of our three heroes always give us this great sense of humor and heart." This will include nods to the ultimate fate of the land on which the story is unfolding. "The god that everybody worships in Atlantis is Poseidon," he said. "We tip a wink all the time to this sense that there's this impending doom, even though it won't be arriving anytime soon." While there will be magic, the series won't feature the direct involvement of gods, though while we "won't see them," there will be an episode in which the characters go down to Hades. The 13-episode series will premiere Saturday, November 23.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, knew Jack Donnelly was gonna be Jason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some reactions to the preview:
    Just watched clips from #BBCAmerica's #Atlantis that airs in Nov. Clips full of action, adventure, romance. Looks fun! #tcas13

#Atlantis - new show coming to BBCA. They are "fast and loose with Greek mythology." Preview looks good and decent amount of humor. #TCAs13

BBC America's new series #Atlantis has an Egyptian/ancient Greece feel to its stories. Visually rich/action-packed. #TCAs13

#Atlantis trailer just previewed by @BBCAMERICA. Should appeal to those who liked #Merlin, adventure with a dash of humor.

If #Atlantis is a comedy, I will watch the heck out of it. Looks amazing. Hercules is a fat guy. #BBCAmerica #TCAs

Mark Addy's onstage for BBC America's #Atlantis panel. Based on the trailer, I can't help but think this is what SyFy's #Sinbad wants to be.

#Atlantis, with another #GoT actor Mark Addy (Robert Baratheon). Looks epic/Greecian/Egytian filled w/battles, etc. #TCAs13
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Looks gorgeous.

Nice to see the promotion for the show getting bigger.
    Mark Addy and Jemima Rooper are in LA atm doing publicity for when it airs on BBC America!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    Mark Addy and Jemima Rooper are in LA atm doing publicity for when it airs on BBC America!:)

Brilliant. Looking forward to seeing them as Hercules and Medusa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    diditagain wrote: »
    BBC America issued a press release yesterday formally announcing that they are co-producing Atlantis and that the series will air as part of Supernatural Saturday in Fall 2013.

I think BBC America's involvement as not only a broadcaster but also a co-producer is fantastic news because the money from the American market can go directly into the production budget of the show. "We're taking it to another level" - commented director Declan O'Dwyer on Twitter.

By the way, O'Dwyer is the third director to work on Atlantis, and follows Justin Molotnikov and Alice Troughton in the director's chair. Not surpisingly - just as his collagues - he's a veteran of Merlin (directed two exciting episodes last year), recently he directed Wolfblood for CBBC. Also he directed the pilot episode of Being Human.
    I love his enthusiasm on Twitter regarding Atlantis: :)
    I am on the coolest directing gig in the world! The sets are truly awesome!!! And BIG!!! F*ck me they are big!!! Inspired!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are the main characters:
    In attendance to introduce the show were creators Howard Overman (Misfits) and Johnny Capps (Merlin) as well as actors Mark Addy (Hercules) and Jemima Rooper (Medusa). While not there at the press tour, Atlantis also features Jack Donnelly (Dancing On The Edge) as show protagonist Jason, Juliet Stevenson (The Hour) as the Oracle, Sarah Parish (Hatfields & McCoys, Mistresses) as Pasiphae, Robert Emms (Kick-Ass 2) as the studious Pythagoras, and Aiysha Hart (About Time) as Ariadne. The show sees young Jason washing up on the shores of an ancient land where his allies include an overweight, overbearing Hercules, played by Addy.

(More Details From The Press Tour)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good press release there.

The Tumblr page is opened properly now and you can reblog stuff too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Hi all. I'm really looking forwards to Atlantis. Have loved what we've heard so far about casting and the images released so far have been great too. (Though they could do with someone on Tumblr to show them how to make decent gifs!)

Hopefully it wont be long now till they release a trailer and more images of the cast!

I've loved reading all the behind the scenes info you guys have been posting here so thanks for that. I don't know how you find all this out. I have "Atlantis BBC" as a google alert and I never find half the stuff you do!

I've also started a wiki for Atlantis, so if anyone's interested it's here: http://atlantis.wikia.com it's early days obviously yet, so the layout/colours will probably change and there isn't much content yet apart from cast. Hope you don't mind me promoting that here, but I thought someone might be interested. :)
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all. I'm really looking forwards to Atlantis. Have loved what we've heard so far about casting and the images released so far have been great too. (Though they could do with someone on Tumblr to show them how to make decent gifs!)

Hopefully it wont be long now till they release a trailer and more images of the cast!

I've loved reading all the behind the scenes info you guys have been posting here so thanks for that. I don't know how you find all this out. I have "Atlantis BBC" as a google alert and I never find half the stuff you do!

I've also started a wiki for Atlantis, so if anyone's interested it's here: http://atlantis.wikia.com it's early days obviously yet, so the layout/colours will probably change and there isn't much content yet apart from cast. Hope you don't mind me promoting that here, but I thought someone might be interested. :)

Ah, I wondered when a Wiki would be made, I do always like to have one to read when I'm enjoying a show. :o:D

Good job! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Ah, I wondered when a Wiki would be made, I do always like to have one to read when I'm enjoying a show. :o:D

Good job! :)

Thanks a lot! Like I said, there isn't much there right now obviously, but hopefully it'll grow with time and as new people join. :)
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    premeiring the show on 23rd november would be a good idea, they could use the doctor who 50th anniversery special as a lead in which would get more viewers to view the premiere and hopefully get them to come back for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    PeculiarcandlePeculiarcandle Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    premeiring the show on 23rd november would be a good idea, they could use the doctor who 50th anniversery special as a lead in which would get more viewers to view the premiere and hopefully get them to come back for the rest of the season.

Is this not starting earlier then? Thought it was taking Merlin's traditional slot.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this not starting earlier then? Thought it was taking Merlin's traditional slot.

Saturday 5th October with episode 13 on Christmas Eve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Saturday 5th October with episode 13 on Christmas Eve.

Is that guess or confirmation?

Either way, it makes sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Is that guess or confirmation?

Either way, it makes sense.

It's speculation based on previous years with the scheduling of Merlin. It can't start before 27th September as I Love My Country and That Puppet Game Show are scheduled until 20th September. And considering Merlin was a good ratings hit on Christmas Eve it seems silly not to do the same with Atlantis. Even if the Christmas Eve viewers catch the last episode, a magical fantasy is ideal for Christmas, so could get them to become interested in the second series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    It's speculation based on previous years with the scheduling of Merlin. It can't start before 27th September as I Love My Country and That Puppet Game Show are scheduled until 20th September. And considering Merlin was a good ratings hit on Christmas Eve it seems silly not to do the same with Atlantis. Even if the Christmas Eve viewers catch the last episode, a magical fantasy is ideal for Christmas, so could get them to become interested in the second series.

Let's hope Atlantis finishes its season on a better note than Merlin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivyteainn wrote: »

Yeah, I still think Christmas Eve was the wrong day to show Merlin's finale. It was too sad. As it's season one of Atlantis I should think it should be a little less dark!
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivyteainn wrote: »
    Yeah, I still think Christmas Eve was the wrong day to show Merlin's finale. It was too sad. As it's season one of Atlantis I should think it should be a little less dark!

Well unless there's a massive earthquake and they all drown, it could hardly be MORE dark! :D

Or are they saving that for the end of Series 5 . . . ? ;)