Stupid order of names on posters

BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's irked me for years why so many film posters plaster the names of the actors out of sync with the image of the poster. American Hustle is another perfect example...

Poster features a "team line-up" of 5 main starts stood in a line in this order (left to right):
Cooper, Adams, Bale, Lawrence and Renner.
Along the top it has names printed in this order:
Bale, Cooper, Adams, Renner and Lawrence.

This means every star has someone else's name emblazoned directly above their head... it just looks sloppy. As I say, this seems to be the case in lots of posters and I just don't get why makers can't do something as simple as align photos/names on a poster instead of seemingly wilfully doing it in a disjointed fashion all the time?

Comments

• Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed with what you've said and it is annoying. My understanding is that on the names, it's about billing. The names are ordered by who gets top billing, second billing and so on.

The poster design is produced by an artist who is focusing on what would look best artistically.

The end result is usually what you've described.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed with what you've said and it is annoying. My understanding is that on the names, it's about billing. The names are ordered by who gets top billing, second billing and so on.

The poster design is produced by an artist who is focusing on what would look best artistically.

Not true. Where you have ensemble casts or 2 or 3 big name actors, it saves arguments over who should have top billing, who the main star is etc.

So its a deliberate decision made to keep everyone happy.

And its hardly new, been happening for 20 years or so.

And lets be honest we all know who the actors are anyway...its nothing to get annoyed about...
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

A famous example is The Beatles Help semaphore. Meaningless symbols but used because the artist/photographer thought it looked better than the correct symbols.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's designed to make it all equal.

If the American Hustle cast had their own names above their heads, it will give Bale (if he were positioned first in the line-up under his name) or Cooper (if his name were positioned over his head) the top billing.

This billing practice has been going on since the 1930s, but became common during the 1970s when all-star films were popular.

The audience tends to assume the name at top or largest - or the person in the front of others - has the leading role. Not surprising as decades of poster design has us all conditioned to see it that way.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A perfectly designed poster was Heat, in regards to the image of the actors and the names.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The was some epic wrangling over the exact positioning of Paul Newman and Steve McQueen's names in "The Towering Inferno".
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the same but I saw a movie poster a couple of months ago where the actors name took up half of it - I don't even remember the title as it was so small, though I don't remember which actor it was either.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although Jennifer Lawrence is 'and', I can imagine the distributors would want her as central as possible without being the main role considering her popularity at the moment.
    Forum Member
    In that case it can actually give the actor more prominence.

You go through the main cast and then get a "and introducing...." or similar
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,255
    Forum Member
    I always find it interesting who gets the "with" credit and who gets the "and" credit.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    The was some epic wrangling over the exact positioning of Paul Newman and Steve McQueen's names in "The Towering Inferno".
    Yes I've read about this, how McQueen, Newman and Holden all wanted top billing, Holden was refused and the other two had the compromise of one being higher than the other. Newman and McQueen also insisted on the having the same number of lines and were promised equal pay. McQueen insisted on having the last line of the film :D Such egos lol
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    I always find it interesting who gets the "with" credit and who gets the "and" credit.

Likewise! Always extra special when you get an 'as' joined on. For example:

'...and Judi Dench as M'
    '...and Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury'
    '...and Frank Oz as Yoda'
    Forum Member
    Just watched Iron Man 3 and in that it was

"With Jon Favreau

and Ben Kingsley"

Interesting no Sir though. He does seem like a down to earth chap.
    I wonder how many Sirs and Dames use the title in credits?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't give any specific examples but going back a few decades, I read somewhere that you'd get a situation with posters, where someone with a smaller part, would between production and screening, become more well known and although the billing may have already been decided, the illustration on the poster would show that person more prominently despite their name being in smaller print than the original star.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    It's not the same but I saw a movie poster a couple of months ago where the actors name took up half of it - I don't even remember the title as it was so small, though I don't remember which actor it was either.

This reminds of the crappy films you'd see in VHS hire firms years ago when makers would use siblings of famous stars in their films... I think there was one with STALLONE and SWAYZE in huge letters and Frank and Don in micro-font!
  • zebedeezebedee Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.moviepostermem.com/The-Wild-Geese-Poster/57445

Poster for The Wild Geese.
    Reading left to right Burton is first, but Harris is highest.
    On other posters the order is Burton, Moore ,Harris, Kruger
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least these films show the photos of all the actors. The Italian poster for 12 Years A Slave shows a huge photo of Brad Pitt and no black actors at all. :o
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Its a case of Marketing sticking their unwelcome beaks in to the design department. Happens all the time in all commercial graphic design, great design has to be dumbed down to make things 'equal'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the towering inferno newman/mcqueen conflict set up the idea of one on the left and then one on the right but higher
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Towering_inferno_movie_poster.jpg

McQueen gets a lot of bad press for the inferno disputes but when Newman starred with Tom Cruise in the Color of Money, Life magazine had to design two separate covers to placate them
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFE-MAGAZINE-NOV-1986-PAUL-NEWMAN-TOM-CRUISE-ISSUE-/370773415855
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-NOVEMBER-LIFE-MAGAZINE-PAUL-NEWMAN-TOM-CRUISE-FRONT-COVER-D-1617-/400629477483?pt=Magazines&hash=item5d4760b06b

the inferno billing issue also cropped up for Jaws. the title had to have a box written around it to stop it being lost in a sea of ink
    http://2warpstoneptune.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/the-legacy-of-jaws-told-in-movie-posters/

Martin Lawrence is another actor who strikes me as very vain when it comes to billing. how on earth he was credited in front on will smith for bad boys 2 is anyone's guess. nothing to lose was another martin lawrence poster mess which looks like someone has put the names on incorrectly
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119807/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_20
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    And lets be honest we all know who the actors are anyway
    No we all don't. Especially if they were someone who got their break in something you have never seen before being given such a star billing.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Just watched Iron Man 3 and in that it was

"With Jon Favreau

and Ben Kingsley"

Interesting no Sir though. He does seem like a down to earth chap.

Judi Dench and Maggie smith don't
    I think it's a term used more in the media, than in their actual work
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Judi Dench and Maggie smith don't
    I think it's a term used more in the media, than in their actual work

Sir Ian McKellen doesn't either. Surprisingly he got top billing for the Hobbit and Andy Serkis took the "and" and the "as" as well...
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @degsyhufc
    Ben Kingsley was apparently the first actor to have his title as part of his film credit. He claimed both times happened without his knowledge, which i believe is bull. Contracts for established actors like him wouldn't allow that kind of mistake to happen. I believe he wanted to be credited as that but backpedalled when criticisms came hard and fast. (sorry if the format's messed up, the keyboard so tiny)
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Tim Burton's Batman was the greatest ever movie poster

Black, with a massive Batman logo on it. Sometimes it would have a release date under it or "Nicholson" and "Keaton" written on it, but the plain black/logo poster is the best.

No messing around. Just pure awesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Ben Kingsley was apparently the first actor to have his title as part of his film credit. He claimed both times happened without his knowledge, which i believe is bull. Contracts for established actors like him wouldn't allow that kind of mistake to happen. I believe he wanted to be credited as that but backpedalled when criticisms came hard and fast. (sorry if the format's messed up, the keyboard so tiny)

Yes, but do you really think any of his people are going to object to the inclusion of Sir? I don't really see why it's any different to a cinematographer being called "John Doe, ACS"...