O or 0

ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
Forum Member
✭✭
Why is it that most people when reciting a phone number, instead saying zero 845, say O 845, as in the letter.

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This post has had O replies so far.

I think it's easier to say like most verbal shortcuts.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it that most people when reciting a phone number, instead saying zero 845, say O 845, as in the letter.

Because you know it's going to be the zero as it's a phone number anyway so doesn't really matter?
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember an American teacher at my secondary school being absolutely astounded by the fact that we said "O" when reciting a phone number rather than "zero"!
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it dates back to when you had to dial 0 (or O) for the Operator.
  • ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Because you know it's going to be the zero as it's a phone number anyway so doesn't really matter?

Just something I noticed, some people say zero.....majority say O
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't say it 'matters'.....just something I noticed.
    She didn't say you said it matters... just that some people don't say "zero" because it doesn't matter to them (or me either).
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    0800 for example - what a mouthful zero eight zero zero would be.

You could also say nought.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Better to say naught.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't bother saying or even writing zero (O with the line through it) if people know the whole string is going to be numeric but do if there is any question to if it's going to be a number or letter.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    I always used to say "O" but now say "Zero" as it was often the case - especially over the 'phone - that "O" could be misheard as "Four".

Saying "Zero" removes all doubt.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always said "Oh" i rarely use "zero" I was told a few months ago maybe to use "zero" as my Yorkshire accent may mean people might mishear "oh",for "four" but I won't change.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say 'oh' when in this country, but 'zero' when outside the UK.
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    I do prefer say Zero.

How many of you actually say Niner though?
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    I can remember an American teacher at my secondary school being absolutely astounded by the fact that we said "O" when reciting a phone number rather than "zero"!

But they say "O" when describing a zip code (e.g. 9o21o)
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave my phone number over the phone to someone today using "Oh" for 0, and not only did they read it back as "zero", they changed the number of numbers in each block they read back to me, i.e. instead of 08123 456 789, they said "0812 345, 6789". It threw me for a moment and I had to check that it was actually my phone number.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "oh" has 1 syllable, "zero" has 2 syllables ...... "syllable" has 3 syllables .......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I went through a phase of saying 'zero' as the wrongness of 'oh' troubled me, but after I while I went back to saying 'oh', as I felt a bit of an idiot saying 'zero', as if I was trying to make a point.

But now it annoys me if someone says 'zero' after I have said 'oh', as it feels as if they are pointing out my error. I always want to reply 'I know if's actually zero, thank you. I just decided it was less pretentious to say 'oh'.' But I haven't acted on this yet. Give it time.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I have always said "Oh" i rarely use "zero" I was told a few months ago maybe to use "zero" as my Yorkshire accent may mean people might mishear "oh",for "four" but I won't change.

My 'very Northern' grandad used to say 'ought.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    I know it's a terrible thing to post, but who cares?!
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Our phones used to have "O" and "0" on the same point on the dial. American phones had the letter "O" on 6 (MNO), as ours do now.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    I know it's a terrible thing to post, but who cares?!

No one really cares. Language is just interesting sometimes!
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    This post has had O replies so far.

I think it's easier to say like most verbal shortcuts.

A favourite anomaly in terms of shortcuts is "www" prefixing web pages.

Saying the abbreviation "www" is actually longer than saying "world wide web" ironically, with the abbreviation having 9 syllables and the long version just 3!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly my phone number has 2 0's.
    I always say O for the first, then correct myself to 0 for the 2nd, to correct myself.
    Weird innit.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I gave my phone number over the phone to someone today using "Oh" for 0, and not only did they read it back as "zero", they changed the number of numbers in each block they read back to me, i.e. instead of 08123 456 789, they said "0812 345, 6789". It threw me for a moment and I had to check that it was actually my phone number.

I always think of phone numbers in blocks of 3. So 077 123 456 78. Obviously the last block is a 2 but that's how I see them in my head.
    Like you though if someone reads it back to me in a different configuration it throws me for a few seconds.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zero every time for me.