PlayStation 4 Day 1 Patch

13»

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - new features, as in things that are new. Not things that it is supposed to have already, but either don't work or will need an update inorder to start working.

Ok, define "supposed to have already" please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    People really kicking off over a day 1 patch?

WOW.

Dont see what the problem is really.

At least the PS OS is (allegedly) in a much better shape than MS's long suffering OS.

As long as the patch/upgrade downloads faster than the now infamous Wii U day one update then I for one will be happy.

I would rather download the day one update than have to wait for the software to be fully ready which would hold up the hardware production schedule.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure what the OP is getting at but from the sounds of it, Sony has made every PS4's OS set to need a localisation update to enable the features to work specifically for that users location.

Despite the games not being locked, the DVD's/Blu Ray are usually region locked so would need this update to enable them to work for that region.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what the OP is getting at but from the sounds of it, Sony has made every PS4's OS set to need a localisation update to enable the features to work specifically for that users location.

Despite the games not being locked, the DVD's/Blu Ray are usually region locked so would need this update to enable them to work for that region.

That is a very good point actually, didn't consider localisation. Another good reason for the DVD/Blu-ray not activated out of the box.

Perhaps we can end this silly argument now.
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Don't forget you can download/install the update in the background whilst playing a game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semantics - you can substitute Update for Patch in my post and it would just as easily apply.

So watching a DVD/Blu-Ray is an "internet related" thing these days?

Sorry, but releasing anything with features missing/added by an update or to follow at a later date is just proof that you are rushing your product out too soon.
    Read my post. I said most. Not all.

They are not rushing anything, they are making the most of their time.

If they implemented these features into the OS and then started production you'd be waiting until June next year for your console and it could cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars extra before it launched.

As I said to an earlier poster - look up Critical Path Method, or Analysis.

As a business you need to do things in the shortest time possible, performing as many tasks that can concurrently be performed, concurrently - and what they've done allows for that.

Do not mistake this for rushing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Read my post. I said most. Not all.

They are not rushing anything, they are making the most of their time.

If they implemented these features into the OS and then started production you'd be waiting until June next year for your console and it could cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars extra before it launched.

As I said to an earlier poster - look up Critical Path Method, or Analysis.

As a business you need to do things in the shortest time possible, performing as many tasks that can concurrently be performed, concurrently - and what they've done allows for that.

Do not mistake this for rushing.

Agreed.

And even if the full feature set was somehow completed months ago and was sitting on PS4 HDDs in warehouses, they would still be refining it now meaning there would still be updates at launch. Nothing would change.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member

Party chat
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Party chat

So Sony 100% unequivocally guaranteed that Party Chat would be available the very instant you took the console out if the box, did they?
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Sony 100% unequivocally guaranteed that Party Chat would be available the very instant you took the console out if the box, did they?

It think its fair to assuming when a company announces features that they will be present when you take the console out of the box.

To announce a load of features only to then say at a later date, oh they are not ready yet is a bit of a let down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    It think its fair to assuming when a company announces features that they will be present when you take the console out of the box.

To announce a load of features only to then say at a later date, oh they are not ready yet is a bit of a let down.

But they are ready for launch. They just need a day one download.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    At least the PS4 will play games straight out of the box, the Xbox One does nowt! http://youtu.be/NRpcQO4wuI8