The Chip Shop

Comments

• habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife, son & I only have chips from a chip shop every Saturday to take home & my wife roasts a chicken. Only vinegar & tomato sauce added at home. Salt is bad for you.

Obviously not their best customer. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I could have anything Id have plaice and chips and mushy peas with salt and lots and lots of vinegar. When I was in Scotland when I was younger we went to a fish and chip shop and had a fish supper and there were two peices of fish with my chips!
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could have anything Id have plaice and chips and mushy peas with salt and lots and lots of vinegar. When I was in Scotland when I was younger we went to a fish and chip shop and had a fish supper and there were two peices of fish with my chips!

Depending on which chip shop you go to, it's still the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,798
    Forum Member
    fish supper or smoke sausage supper with me. :D
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Depending on which chip shop you go to, it's still the same.

A chippie in Blairgowrie does this. :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has to be the full on cod, chip and peas - best one I ever had was in Cornwall.

But for comfort memories it would be sausage, beans and chips in a tray when we were at school, drowned in salt and vinegar on a Winter's day.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,888
    Forum Member
    Haddock and chips for me with lots of salt and vinegar.... I love scraps too. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    Mmm... Love a nice haddock supper (much nicer than cod) or a lovely smoked sausage supper (sausage doesn't have any batter there btw).

Also like to have a haggis supper occasionally. For those who can't get it in their area, it's usually presented like a battered sausage - in that it's long, thin and covered in batter. Sometimes though you get it as a more familliar round ball shape - again coated in batter.

I do love a good supper from the chippie, especially with loads of salt and vinegar.
    I know they say it's bad for you but as long as you're not having one every day I don't see the problem. :)

One thing I'd be interested to hear is if there are any other regional variants (like the Haggis supper) which can be found around the uk!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haddock and chips for me with lots of salt and vinegar.... I love scraps too. :o

I think this must be what my mum called "crackling". She loved it. :):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonic Dave wrote: »

Which one? I live there!
    Forum Member
    Which one? I live there!

:eek:I live in Kirriemuir. I visit Blairgowrie regularly. :D

It's the one opposite the Pet Shop near where the old Tesco's used to be. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:I live in Kirriemuir. I visit Blairgowrie regularly. :D

It's the one opposite the Pet Shop near where the old Tesco's used to be. :)

Charlie Chan's? Is their fish good?
    Forum Member
    Charlie Chan's? Is their fish good?

Yeah that's it. It's lovely there. I reccommend it.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's it. It's lovely there. I reccommend it.:)

That's tomorrow's dinner sorted.

Oh and either fish, sausage or smoked sausage supper with a lot of salt:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Sausage Supper covered in gravy from my local chippy in Scotland.

Living in London for five years and I've yet to find a decent chippy. They think gravy is watery :(:(
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Difference is though, in England the fish is battered whole, whereas in Scotland it tends to be sliced down the middle.

It also tends to be haddock rather than cod.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They all do it round here
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difference is though, in England the fish is battered whole, whereas in Scotland it tends to be sliced down the middle.

It also tends to be haddock rather than cod.

Not at the chip shops here.......you get 2 slices of fish. Maybe that's a FIFE phenomenon. :p
    Forum Member
    They all do it round here
    Kirriemuir doesn't unfortunately, so I just buy the smoked sausage in batter from there. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock and chips if possible but Rock is like hens teeth where I live. If it's not available, I'll have saveloy, pea fritter (not the horrible perfect round ones, the nice homemade oddly shaped ones...) and chips with lots of salt and a splash of vinegar
  • Ulysses31Ulysses31 Posts: 4,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live, one of the things I always remember about the Chippy near to my school was the fact that they did something called a Chip Bucket...

As you went into the liitle Chippy at lunchtime you would immediately ask for a Chip Bucket, and be given half of a small uncut loaf.

Whilst waiting in the queue we used to pull out all the white bread inner, if you were really hungry you would eat this in the queue.

When it was time to be served the Chippy lady would fill the now hollow, bread crust 'bucket' with chips and gravy...

If you weren't so greedy that you had already eaten your 'middle', you could dunk it in...

No-one seems to do them anymore... :(
  • Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    I love the half pizza suppers you get. They are so bad for me but I do love the taste. You lot are making me crave chips now, Im starving and having to wait for OH to get home for tea :mad:

I should maybe step away from the food forum before I start to dribble all over this computer. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minky_Bum wrote: »
    I think this must be what my mum called "crackling". She loved it. :):D

Oh, I was in Yorkshire last summer and they offered scraps...blank faces all round. :D We passed. Sounds dreadful. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to the chip shop on firdays, thats when im at home but we never have them at my dads. Oh i love mushy peas with it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donner Meat & Chips with Chilli Sauce .