Options

If there was a BBC Three HD....

antisocialbeefantisocialbeef Posts: 36
Forum Member
How likely would it be that it would be criticized heavily for the lack of proper HD content and only being useful for seeing new Family Guy or American Dad! episodes?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything looks better in HD to me, so I would welcome it.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD channels showing upscaled SD material always looks better anyway.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the OP on about\? If there was a channel with Radio 2 webcam DvD what would be on it? Sheesh!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All content delivered to the BBC must be in HD, and this policy has been in place for a bit so considering quite a bit of BBC THREE's content is recent doc's and their repeats plus US stuff, quite a lot of BBC THREE's content is in HD as it is.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    All content delivered to the BBC must be in HD, and this policy has been in place for a bit so considering quite a bit of BBC THREE's content is recent doc's and their repeats plus US stuff, quite a lot of BBC THREE's content is in HD as it is.

Yep. There has to be extenuating circumstances for why delivery isn't in HD except where & when stated by the BBC in commissioning or other processes.
    So for the BBC to not have an outlet for BBC Three HD content & BBC Four HD content is not good enough IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given a choice between money spent on script-writing, talent and production values over the latest picture quality I would far rather content over picture. Life On Earth needs HD, Top Gear, World's Craziest Fools and Eastenders repeats do not.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandytop wrote: »
    Given a choice between money spent on script-writing, talent and production values over the latest picture quality I would far rather content over picture. Life On Earth needs HD, Top Gear, World's Craziest Fools and Eastenders repeats do not.

I remember someone on TV in the 1960's saying colour TV was a waste of time and only good for nature and travel programmes!!

Incidentally, when BBC HD launched in 2006 the most popular requests for HD production were Top Gear, Doctor Who, F1 and MOTD.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    So for the BBC to not have an outlet for BBC Three HD content & BBC Four HD content is not good enough IMO.

So, considering that currently, the BBC HD channel has to provide such an outlet for the HD content from three channels (excluding CBBC and cbeebies), how do you propose that the BBC should achieve this then?
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    .So for the BBC to not have an outlet for BBC Three HD content & BBC Four HD content is not good enough IMO.

But it does under DQF !!!!...
    and in any case it is only time before there will be emission of all BBC PSB entertainment channels.

Basically at the moment the BBC cannot afford to play out another channel - whose purpose as set by the BBC Trust has been achieved.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandytop wrote: »

I'll give you World's Craziest and Eastenders, but Top Gear benefits a lot from HD, the visuals are a big part of the show and it has a cinematic quality in much of it's filming.
  • Options
    PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Three doesn't actually repeat that much old stuff, so the majority of what it is showing will be in hd.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    But it does under DQF !!!!...
    and in any case it is only time before there will be emission of all BBC PSB entertainment channels.

Basically at the moment the BBC cannot afford to play out another channel - whose purpose as set by the BBC Trust has been achieved.

Please.....!
    If you actually think the BBC is that badly cash strapped, then you need help and badly my friend.
    It boils down to the BBC's retarded policy of platform neutrality, not cash or the lack of.
    As for the BBC Trust, well, id rather have the dead otter i saw on my way home as BBC trust chairman than the chimps incharge right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC trust allowed the BBC to launch a new channel for a purpose - that purpose has ended.. so the BBC is closing it - good use of the LF even the Daily Mail would agree!!!.

Until about a year or so OFCOM (not the BBC trust) required BBC FTV to promote DTT.....
    and we have seen where publicly the BBC has said it will be going with its channels in HD.
    Just At the moment it needs the income from DTT HD slot 5 ....
    and I cannot see the BBC having the funding to be platform Neutral with BBC one HD .... so DSAT viewers could miss out!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    I'll give you World's Craziest and Eastenders, but Top Gear benefits a lot from HD, the visuals are a big part of the show and it has a cinematic quality in much of it's filming.

OK, there is a point to showing Top Gear in HD. But not a lot of other shows. In time HD will be the standard and people will notice if something is lower quality, but right now it is exceptional and should be used intelligently. Concentrate on the stunning visuals.

For now I would perfer it if other channels broadcast at proper standard definition instead of dropping the bit-rate, but that's not in the BBC's gift.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no room for anymore HD yet on Freeview is there.
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a bit of the BBC 3's programmes are either simulcast or shown later on BCHD. I really like BBCHD. It shows a lot of the the three other BBC channels and some other programming too. I hope they don't get rid of it and change it to a simulcast of BBC2.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a bit of the BBC 3's programmes are either simulcast or shown later on BCHD. I really like BBCHD. It shows a lot of the the three other BBC channels and some other programming too. I hope they don't get rid of it and change it to a simulcast of BBC2.

BBC HD is being replaced with BBC Two HD in April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC HD is being replaced with BBC Two HD in April.

which is paired with BBC four .. as BBC one and BBC three are paired under DQF