Options

Why does an NTSC broadcast sound lower pitched in comparison to a PAL broadcast?

binns syndromebinns syndrome Posts: 26
Forum Member
Why is it when I have seen a TV programme I am usually used to seeing via PAL broadcasts on an NTSC broadcast, it sounds lower pitched in comparison to the PAL broadcast version?

Comments

• Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot think of any reason why this should be true ....
    The Soundtracks are not converted - as they are the same in any TV picture standard.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sound used to be sped up on UK PAL.

Often with films shot in 24fps, they would be shown at 25fps. The sound would be therefore higher pitched and people in this country would get used to that and when hearing NTSC when on a US holiday the normal pitch would sound lower.

But PAL is dead now. The frame rate issue is still there I suppose.

If they are still speeding up the frames/second I don't know. But it's possible to correct the pitch shift that ensues.

I don't know if this is still an issue.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are referring to "PAL speed-up". Anything shot at 24 fps (films, dramas, some sitcoms) has to be converted to 60i for "NTSC" broadcast using 2:3 pulldown, which doesn't change the speed. However, when they convert it to 25p/50i for "PAL" broadcast, they simply increase the frames per second from 24 to 25 (a 4% increase). This results in the "PAL" broadcast being slightly faster. If the audio isn't pitch-corrected (it should be if it's a modern conversion), then the pitch will be higher too.

In this case the NTSC "lower pitched" version is correct. Very occasionally something shot at 25 fps will go through this process in reverse to get 24p or 60i output.

A great example of this is Friends. The old international 25 fps masters weren't pitch-corrected, so everything is high pitched. The newer HD 25 fps masters are pitch-corrected, so sound like the original 24 fps versions.
  • Options
    binns syndromebinns syndrome Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Thank you for clearing up the confusion, everybody! :)
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it's not all NTSC stuff- things shot on video at 60i won't go through the speedup process, so will still be the same pitch in PAL.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Most NTSC programmes from the past had dreadful muffled sound quality where you could hardly understand the words spoken. At least that's all changed now
  • Options
    red16vred16v Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I can readily understand why this thread is referring to PAL and NTSC, this was just as much an issue in the days of 405 monochrome tv because of course its the difference in frame rate between the different systems which is key factor here - rather than anything to do with the analogue colour coding system.

I'm wondering if a way around this, in days gone by, would be to replay a film shot at 24fps on a Polygonal telecine machine which can work at varying frame rates.

I have no direct experience myself of these machines, so I'm hoping Dan's Dad might be along shortly and perhaps give an inkling whether that was possible or not.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,560
    Forum Member
    The 4% speed-up is hard to detect though unless you are literally pitch perfect (and very very few people are that).

Our memory of pitch (quarter tone change) is not usually good enough to notice, but in the artificial world of A-B switching we can of course tell. It would obviously be noticeable to more people in films or programmes containing very well known music but of course these days it can easily be corrected and I suspect that very little isn't pitch-corrected, these days..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    The 4% speed-up is hard to detect though unless you are literally pitch perfect (and very very few people are that).

Our memory of pitch (quarter tone change) is not usually good enough to notice, but in the artificial world of A-B switching we can of course tell. It would obviously be noticeable to more people in films or programmes containing very well known music but of course these days it can easily be corrected and I suspect that very little isn't pitch-corrected, these days..
    BS. Pitch changes are easy to hear, especially if you've heard the actor speaking or piece of music before at its normal pitch.

Obviously if it's pitch-corrected, most people wouldn't notice the speed-up. The only real clue would be music playing too fast.
  • Options
    BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PAL DVDs still suffer this problem, only since Blu-ray become available have films been watchable at the correct speed (24fps). This is why a 100-minute film runs 100 minutes on Blu-ray and 96 minutes on PAL DVD.
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    red16v wrote: »

I'm wondering if a way around this, in days gone by, would be to replay a film shot at 24fps on a Polygonal telecine machine which can work at varying frame rates.

I have no direct experience myself of these machines, so I'm hoping Dan's Dad might be along shortly and perhaps give an inkling whether that was possible or not.
    Here I am.

We had 4 colourised polygons

2 35mm at LGS
    2 16mm at TVC

UK / EU film shot for TV use ran at a nominal or locked 25fps
    UK / EU film shot for Cinema ran at a nominal or locked 24 fps
    US / rest of world film shot for Cinema ran at a nominal or locked 24 fps
    US film shot for TV ran at a nominal or locked 24 fps

25 fps film scanned in twin lens machines running at 50 Hz, 2:1 interlace (do I call that 25i these days?) was frame to frame transfer - this was important for Film Recording recordings.

25 fps film scanned in polygon machines running at 50 Hz, 2:1 interlace was not necessarily so, each TV frame was likely a 'mix' of two film frames.

24 fps film scanned in polygon machines running at 50 Hz, 2:1 interlace was not so, each TV frame was certainly a 'mix' of two film frames.

A significant amount of transmission time was derived from both 24fps film, both 16mm and 35mm, worldwide film and US TV.

The picture quality from twin-lens machines was vastly superior to that derived from polygons, hence

polygons were generally the last machines to be allocated to a job, often 'least' important like 'Play School' - Cynthia Felgate was known to complain.
    (Twin Lenses were usually allocated to 'Blue Peter' - I wonder why?)

The 25/24 =~4% speed up was considered acceptable given the advantages of frame to frame reproduction.

Polygons came into their own sourcing:-
    • 24 NTSC news material over the satellite
    • 16 fps silent movie reproduction (especially for Thames's 'Hollywood')
    • 'stretching' tedious American soaps to fill a slot - some sub-Dallas series ran at ~22.5fps to fill a daytime slot, the practice didn't last.

Watching Murray now, so not really concentrating, but ask away if none of this makes sense.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cintel Mk3 telecines with digiscan and varispeed (plus no doubt more modern machines) will run at a wide range of speeds, at least 16-28 frames, software is also available for Sony Digibeta VTRs. The problem is that you get jitter on pans that is more objectionable than the change in sound pitch. This hasn't stopped ITV companies in the past running films at a non standard speeds to make them "fill a slot". Pitch shifters can also produce undesirable effects. 24fps films shown on US 60 frame TV also have jitter on pans but as it has always been there people don't worry about it. TVs for US ATSC HD seem to be multistandard as far as I can tell so I think films in HD are transmitted at 24fps, perhaps an American reader can elaborate on that.
  • Options
    Wilson FraserWilson Fraser Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Someone mentioned earlier in the thread "PAL is dead". What system does the UK now use and what does the USA broadcast its digital and HD TV in. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PAL and NTSC are analogue standards and thus not relevant in the US or UK. People still use these terms colloquially to refer to regions that use 50 Hz or 60 Hz video for TV though.
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    PAL and NTSC are analogue standards and thus not relevant in the ... UK.

Apart from, of course, the continuing relevance of those PAL receivers that still derive their input from a 'set top box' as either a PAL signal via SCART or similar, or modulated PAL on a UHF carrier

and the continuing relevance of millions of archived tapes, professional or otherwie, that hold modulated PAL signals within their oxide.
  • Options
    red16vred16v Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    Here I am.

We had 4 colourised polygons

2 35mm at LGS
    2 16mm at TVC

UK / EU film shot for TV use ran at a nominal or locked 25fps
    UK / EU film shot for Cinema ran at a nominal or locked 24 fps
    US / rest of world film shot for Cinema ran at a nominal or locked 24 fps
    US film shot for TV ran at a nominal or locked 24 fps

25 fps film scanned in twin lens machines running at 50 Hz, 2:1 interlace (do I call that 25i these days?) was frame to frame transfer - this was important for Film Recording recordings.

25 fps film scanned in polygon machines running at 50 Hz, 2:1 interlace was not necessarily so, each TV frame was likely a 'mix' of two film frames.

24 fps film scanned in polygon machines running at 50 Hz, 2:1 interlace was not so, each TV frame was certainly a 'mix' of two film frames.

A significant amount of transmission time was derived from both 24fps film, both 16mm and 35mm, worldwide film and US TV.

The picture quality from twin-lens machines was vastly superior to that derived from polygons, hence

polygons were generally the last machines to be allocated to a job, often 'least' important like 'Play School' - Cynthia Felgate was known to complain.
    (Twin Lenses were usually allocated to 'Blue Peter' - I wonder why?)

The 25/24 =~4% speed up was considered acceptable given the advantages of frame to frame reproduction.

Polygons came into their own sourcing:-
    • 24 NTSC news material over the satellite
    • 16 fps silent movie reproduction (especially for Thames's 'Hollywood')
    • 'stretching' tedious American soaps to fill a slot - some sub-Dallas series ran at ~22.5fps to fill a daytime slot, the practice didn't last.

Watching Murray now, so not really concentrating, but ask away if none of this makes sense.

Ah, I thought it would probably come down to overall picture quality versus etc etc. Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,560
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    BS. Pitch changes are easy to hear, especially if you've heard the actor speaking or piece of music before at its normal pitch.

Obviously if it's pitch-corrected, most people wouldn't notice the speed-up. The only real clue would be music playing too fast.

Charming, politeness costs nothing. I wasn't referring to people like you and me, who clearly listen for such changes (consciously or subconsciously) and can easily spot them.

Fact is that the vast majority of people don't care about and won't notice a quarter tone pitch change unless it's pointed out to them by someone like you, not even for well known music or speech. Some will notice if it's pointed out, in music or speech familiar to them - but even then, they don't usually care.

Why do you think film and TV got away with it for so long? Because most people don't notice it and/or don't care! This 'problem' never was a big issue, for that reason. It was certainly a more elegant solution than messing with the frames, give me smooth video any day.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than start a new topic, I figured I'd just revive this one. I was just wondering why/how Frasier on Channel 4 is screened without any speedup, and yet the all R2 DVD releases of the show suffer from it?

With regards to whether the difference in pitch is noticable, it's VERY noticable when you've been watching one 'version' of a show, and then watch another. After months of watching Frasier repeats on C4, I watched an episode on DVD for the first time in a while yesterday and found the difference in people's voices very jarring.

I did wonder if the C4 Frasier had been pitch corrected, as was discussed earlier in this thread, so this morning I decided to test that theory by playing the DVD of the episode which was airing (the brilliant Derek Jacobi episode!) on my laptop simultaneously with the C4 broadcast. And the DVD's have definitely been through the speedup process. It's actually amazing how much faster it seems when you're watching them side by side and the DVD is racing ahead!
  • Options
    PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Rather than start a new topic, I figured I'd just revive this one. I was just wondering why/how Frasier on Channel 4 is screened without any speedup, and yet the all R2 DVD releases of the show suffer from it?

With regards to whether the difference in pitch is noticable, it's VERY noticable when you've been watching one 'version' of a show, and then watch another. After months of watching Frasier repeats on C4, I watched an episode on DVD for the first time in a while yesterday and found the difference in people's voices very jarring.

I did wonder if the C4 Frasier had been pitch corrected, as was discussed earlier in this thread, so this morning I decided to test that theory by playing the DVD of the episode which was airing (the brilliant Derek Jacobi episode!) on my laptop simultaneously with the C4 broadcast. And the DVD's have definitely been through the speedup process. It's actually amazing how much faster it seems when you're watching them side by side and the DVD is racing ahead!

It might just be a conversion of the NTSC version using a standard convertor. This would just be taking the version that has had pulldown applied for NTSC, then converting it to PAL by dropping fields. Anytime i've seen it the picture looks poor so this might the case.

If the dvd was ahead picture wise it won't be pitch correction, as they would both be in sync but just with a lower pitch.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I will also note that as someone who has been watching Parks And Recreation on North American TV for four years it is rather odd to see video clips of the BBC4 broadcasts of the show on the internet and hear the characters talking like their voices are being affected by helium. To think Brits have to endure this kind of thing whenever they watch American shows.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for many years usa material on film shown in uk was a slight speedup. presumably by the time most tv was video, drop frame conversion would have been used so the speed was exact.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

I disagree - I think it's really obvious when Sky show early editions of The Simpsons which aren't pitch corrected - Homer's voice in particular sounds completely wrong,
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    To think Brits have to endure this kind of thing whenever they watch American shows.

But, as been pointed out above, most people are unaware of it, and fewer care about it.

The vast majority of the population are perfectly happy with (what you and me) would describe as poor technical quality be that the vision, the sound or the speed.

How many large plasmas have you seen in pubs or peoples houses being fed with a 4:3 aspect from the Sky box stretched to 16:9 by the TV? I've seen loads. I saw one in a pub the other day with the above faults and being fed by RF. I mentioned it to the landlord but he said "nah, It's fine!"

Likewise, DAB radio is loved by those who have a stable signal as it is easy to tune and doesn't suffer static. The fact that the sound quality of the 128k (or lower) MP2 stream is crap passes them by.

Picture quality of some channels on Freeview is abysmal due to low bit rates. People still watch though.

I'm using the above as examples and not criticising either DAB radio or Freeview, both of which are capable of very fine quality. Unfortunately the accountants who neither know or care about technical quality are in charge.

Same applies to properly converting US sourced TV and films. It is cheaper to speed it up than convert it properly and (almost) no one will notice or complain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I will also note that as someone who has been watching Parks And Recreation on North American TV for four years it is rather odd to see video clips of the BBC4 broadcasts of the show on the internet and hear the characters talking like their voices are being affected by helium. To think Brits have to endure this kind of thing whenever they watch American shows.
    They don't. You obviously haven't read the thread.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Sid Law wrote: »
    But, as been pointed out above, most people are unaware of it, and fewer care about it.

I was aware of both things. I still regret that British people are getting a sub-standard version of something regardless of whether they know or care. And of course there are the British folks who complain that American TV shows have poor video and audio quality quite unaware that the video and audio quality is fine in America (and Canada), and it is only PAL conversion issues that is making them think what they think.