Going into hibernation mode over the winter.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
Forum Member
Just wondering if anyone else goes into hibernation mode over the winter months, because I do and its something I always seem to have done.
From the beginning of October until the end of March my body seems to just run on tickover and even though I still do the main things like going to work and paying the bills, I don't do much else.
I'm a summer person by heart and the real me doesn't kick in every year until the beginning of April and its the summer months and the thought of them coming around each year that make me feel really alive.
Anyone else feel like this?

Comments

• mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, yes, i feel similarly to you, i tend to hibernate somewhat during Winter. I have Fibromyalgia so also feel even more ill than usual, and tend to get depressed as well, waiting impatiently for Spring to arrive!! This year i am going to try to do more, ie, crafts at home and other such stuff around the house so that i do not feel this way. In in a way going into Winter mode is quite nice and comforting, i do like some aspects of Winter, especially weird weather when i am tucked up indoors, but........Roll on Summer :)
    Hope you manage to find a way to perk up a bit this Winter...if not we always have DS :kitty:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    mintoe wrote: »
    Hi, yes, i feel similarly to you, i tend to hibernate somewhat during Winter. I have Fibromyalgia so also feel even more ill than usual, and tend to get depressed as well, waiting impatiently for Spring to arrive!! This year i am going to try to do more, ie, crafts at home and other such stuff around the house so that i do not feel this way. In in a way going into Winter mode is quite nice and comforting, i do like some aspects of Winter, especially weird weather when i am tucked up indoors, but........Roll on Summer :)
    Hope you manage to find a way to perk up a bit this Winter...if not we always have DS :kitty:

Yes, I like the tucked up indoors feeling especially when there is bad weather and I like the feeling of coming home from work and just shutting myself inside. I have even got passed the stage of going to the organised fireworks displays now because its too cold and I just watch them from the comfort of my kitchen window. Must be a sign of getting old lol.
    I agree with you about DS though and even though I am a relatively new member with few posts I do tend to read the forum every day and it does fill an hour or two.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a sufferer of depression I hate it and just try to survive it till March and hope that my demons don't get to me in the meantime.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    I'm the opposite really, I tend to have a lot of downtime in the summer and find my social life again once the cooler temperatures and earlier nights come in. I've always been a night owl so I suppose winter just gives me more time to do that. I find warm temperatures uncomfortable and have a condition which makes my skin very prone to sun damage so summer afternoons really don't make me feel very sociable or productive.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more energetic during the autumn/winter months.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And me, I go to bed early and read for hours; by the following spring Ive read dozens of books and lots of magazines.
    I put brighter bulbs in the lounge table lamps during the winter too.I go out earlier in the day as well and get back home about 1/2 3 just as its gettong dark and fire up the heating! Plenty of hot chocolate too. Bugger the bill!
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wake up at 3/4 in the morning in the summer and 8/9 in the winter....
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As they say, everybody has their kinks.

I find the cooler winter months to be very rejuvenating, I have alot of energy and just feel like I can get so much more done, just something about that cool coastal air :)

On the flip side when the day is done I seem to have an easier time winding down

I don't despise the warmer months, but you can sometimes feel like as it hots up everything is crawling to an unpleasantly sticky crawl, and if you have alot on it can really sap your energy quickly
  • Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    Yes, I feel the same as the OP

I dread winter every year. I do still go to work, but I try to leave the house little as possible during winter. The early nights, bitter cold, cold winds, ice and snow drag me down. By the end of winter, I feel as though I've been beaten up and taken to my breaking point.

I swear, ever winter, I will move somewhere warm :D Hopefully, one of these days I actually will do it :D
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always went into hibernation in the winter (pretty much zombie mode from Mon-Fri) up until last year where I made a point of getting out and about and walking at least 5 times a week ... tbh during the summer I have let that slip as I absolutely hate the heat and have other interests.

I am actually looking forward to the cooler days drawing in and I can get out and about regularly again - amazing how much better it feels to be up and about no matter what the weather throws at you.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing better than a nice walk on a frosty winter morning. Get out and get some fresh air!
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thrilled that winter is returning. Autumn and winter make me feel alive. Planning Halloween and Christmas is so much fun, wearing your nice clothes again, luxurious comfort food and drink, parties and shopping and the cool, dark evenings. God I love it all.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    As they say, everybody has their kinks.

I find the cooler winter months to be very rejuvenating, I have alot of energy and just feel like I can get so much more done, just something about that cool coastal air :)

On the flip side when the day is done I seem to have an easier time winding down

I don't despise the warmer months, but you can sometimes feel like as it hots up everything is crawling to an unpleasantly sticky crawl, and if you have alot on it can really sap your energy quickly

Same here.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cooler weather suits me, a snug sweater, scarf and pea-coat, walking the dog in the park and kicking neat piles of leaves as the wind fine-tunes my receding hairline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing better than a nice walk on a frosty winter morning. Get out and get some fresh air!
    That's true.

You can have some lovely days in the winter, cold at times but nice in the sunshine.

Not so good if you work indoors and if you're leaving the house and getting back home in the dark.
    Forum Member
    Some very interesting and different comments. I have always said life would be very dull if everyone was the same, so I am actually glad that there are people out there who are different to me.:D
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love winter. I hope it's not going to be damp and mild like last year.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to sleep longer and eat comfort food. It's heavenly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Oh i would love to hibernate all winter and not go out..sit in front of the fire with tv on..slippers on and sit in my onesie lounging around watching day time tv :D
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Oh i would love to hibernate all winter and not go out..sit in front of the fire with tv on..slippers on and sit in my onesie lounging around watching day time tv :D

So whats stopping you?:D
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work as a postie, so hate having an outdoor job in winter.:(

I loved the mild winter last year, made my job easier and it seemed to go much quicker. I'm hoping for another one :)
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I work as a postie, so hate having an outdoor job in winter.:(

I loved the mild winter last year, made my job easier and it seemed to go much quicker. I'm hoping for another one :)

Postie eh!

I bet you have strong leg muscles.:D:blush:
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite is season is autumn and living in the country I like spending time outdoors.
    Can't say I'm much of a fan of summer because it's my busiest time at work so no holidays for me until this time of year.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be different. I love a cold, sunny winter's day. If I want to go out, I just get tucked up in warm clothes and love going out tucked up in warm clothes. Nothing like going for a walk when snow has just fallen in the fields close by. Everything feels fresh and clean.

However I am a little prone to SAD so going out and getting some daylight is really important.

However I do also like the tucked up indorrs feeling when there is a cold wintry storm blasting away.
    Forum Member
    Vix77 wrote: »
    My favourite is season is autumn and living in the country I like spending time outdoors.
    Can't say I'm much of a fan of summer because it's my busiest time at work so no holidays for me until this time of year.

Ah well at least it has its benefits for you, although to be honest I don't mind autumn too much. I just don't like the cold weather.
    I must be different. I love a cold, sunny winter's day. If I want to go out, I just get tucked up in warm clothes and love going out tucked up in warm clothes. Nothing like going for a walk when snow has just fallen in the fields close by. Everything feels fresh and clean.

However I am a little prone to SAD so going out and getting some daylight is really important.

However I do also like the tucked up indorrs feeling when there is a cold wintry storm blasting away.

Yes, I agree with what you say about fresh snow, and dare I say, I don't even mind walking in it sometimes, but only in small doses.:D

Sorry to hear you are prone to SAD, but I guess quite a few people are too.