Options

I failed my 1st driving test today! How to not lose confidence?

MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
Forum Member
Safe to say I am very gutted that I failed my driving test today. I mean I am grateful to have been able to take it as I honestly thought I'd not get that far but I did and now I failed I feel like I'm losing faith in ever passing the test :( I know I can drive, when I am not under pressure I'm fine.

I had 2 majors and 11 minors. I went past a small van to close that I almost hit it and I went on the wrong side of a road when I was about to turn right at a round about (Silly I know!!) but I was that flustered I couldn't think properly for a split second.

I have it re-booked and I'm hoping that now I know what to expect, it will make it better but I don't know. :( gah so upset with myself

Comments

• Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's only your first, you have no reason to lose confidence. Learn from it and move on. I failed three or four. You just have to get used to thinking during tests. You might fail more than once, but it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, don't be downhearted, i know its disappointing but keep going, you'll get there!! My daughter passed her 3rd test recently and i took 4 goes! Think of it as an experience that will make you a better driver. Good luck for next time! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that OP, but i failed my first test in Dec 2005 with 2 majors and 10 minors and i felt disheartened but i booked another block of lessons and resat my test in March 2006 and passed with only 2 minors so my advice would be just keep at it and try not to let it get you down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys, I've already re-booked it so will just try and give it my best shot again :)
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys, I've already re-booked it so will just try and give it my best shot again :)

Good luck Matt :)

I passed on my third time. Anyway, you know what they say - all the best drivers fail their first test! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed on my second time and so did James May off Top Gear !

It was probably just nerves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I failed first time too, and with loads more majors than that, was awful. Best of luck for the next one.
  • Options
    WAKEYLASSWAKEYLASS Posts: 6,085
    Forum Member
    That's all you can do love, don't get too disheartened xx
    HollyC wrote: »
    Good luck Matt :)

I passed on my third time. Anyway, you know what they say - all the best drivers fail their first test! ;)
    absolutely!! I passed mine second time around back in 1984 - I feel old!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend passed on her 8th go :eek: :o

I passed on my first go with 3 minors in Feb. All I have to say really is (this is going to sound stupid but) don't think about it too much, it psychs you out too much, or at least for me it did. When I started relaxing and not over-thinking it and kinda just went with the flow, I got tons better (i'm not saying don't concentrate though, still gotta do that! :rolleyes:). at least you know what to expect now though :)
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Took my uncle six times before he passed, dont worry next time will be fine.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter failed her first test a few weeks ago. She immediately rebooked it and passed just three weeks later (even having to take it in a different town).

Don't be disheartened - she was ecstatic when she passed.

I also passed second time round - no shame in it, probably helps make you a better driver in the long term.

Just get plenty of practice and take a deep breath to calm you down before you do your test next time.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everybody, hearing the stories really does help.
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i failed my 1st, 2nd and 3rd, dont worry about it, i found i was a better driver than ppl i know who passed 1st time :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i failed my 1st, 2nd and 3rd, dont worry about it, i found i was a better driver than ppl i know who passed 1st time :)

Good point.

Can't help but notice you live in Chester, I don't live too far away from there :)
  • Options
    Luce*Luce* Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I'm having my lessons at the moment and really struggling. My instructor asked me to try a 3 point turn in quite a busy small road and I just panicked and told her flat, "I cant do this". I don't really know where to go from here. I have no confidence.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Luce* wrote: »
    I'm having my lessons at the moment and really struggling. My instructor asked me to try a 3 point turn in quite a busy small road and I just panicked and told her flat, "I cant do this". I don't really know where to go from here. I have no confidence.

Aw, pet, don't worry! :) Just remember that every other driver on the road has been in the same place as you - we've all had to learn. There are the odd knobbers on the road who don't have patience with learner drivers, but don't let that knock your confidence, and don't let that distract you from what you're learning. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Luce* wrote: »

Awh I remember when I felt like that too, I found doing the manoeuvres really difficult at first but trust me, you do get the hang of it. It takes time and practice and trust me, if I can do them I'm sure you can too. Confidence grows, well it did for me. I use to be so nervous about going onto a road but now I don't get as nervous and have come this way. Keep it up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed both my bike and car tests second time. Just think of the test as a normal lesson but without much in the way of detailed instructions. Good luck for next time :)
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry, it could be worse - I failed 4 times before I passed! :D On the 5th attempt I was getting so used to failing that I completely chilled out and stopped taking it so seriously. With a more relaxed approach I did brilliantly. I only told my boyfriend that I was taking the test so that also took the pressure off immensely as I was passing for no-one but myself.

On one test I failed 10 seconds into it by using a wrong lane to use the roundabout. :o On another my instructor had to take the wheel when I nearly bashed into another car. I also got shouted at to go slower round a corner. I was so rubbish when I started out!
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I failed my test last Thursday so I know how you're feeling

It was stupid, I knew I'd failed before I'd even left the test centre - I was pulling out into the road and the examiner starting shouting that I'd gone too far out in to road, - but I still had to do the rest of the test, pointlessly

My next test is Thursday the 24th
  • Options
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    I failed my test last Thursday so I know how you're feeling

It was stupid, I knew I'd failed before I'd even left the test centre - I was pulling out into the road and the examiner starting shouting that I'd gone too far out in to road, - but I still had to do the rest of the test, pointlessly

My next test is Thursday the 24th

How did you get your test so soon? Did you get a cancellation?
  • Options
    hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I failed my test four times and it really knocked my confidence. In the end it was the driving examiner who calmed me down enough to take the test and I passed. Funnily enough she was the same examiner I got when I failed the first time.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    How did you get your test so soon? Did you get a cancellation?

Nah, My test centre is in a reasonably quiet area of Devon, so there is no waiting list for tests - pretty handy really :)
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed first time, but I'm not saying that to gloat. I was just lucky, nothing much happened, but I was amazed. I wasn't a confident driver at that point and I know that lots of better drivers didn't pass first go - and some were surprised that I had. A lot of it really is just luck.

All the best!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I passed first time, but I'm not saying that to gloat. I was just lucky, nothing much happened, but I was amazed. I wasn't a confident driver at that point and I know that lots of better drivers didn't pass first go - and some were surprised that I had. A lot of it really is just luck.

All the best!

Thank you! Well done for passing first time too.
    far2cool wrote: »
    Nah, My test centre is in a reasonably quiet area of Devon, so there is no waiting list for tests - pretty handy really :)

Ah lucky, waiting list in Rhyl are 6-8 weeks long! Have to rely on cancellations if you want to pass sooner although I have Maths exams and a week holiday in June so I don't want to put too much on myself.