Why I Want the 8th Doctor Back

2»

Comments

• SegeeSegee Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Not enough demand. He's a niche Doctor, I'm sorry, but he just is, and his pyschotic fans do not do him any favours. Stick with your audios and be satisfied with that.
    I take offense to you calling me psychotic. You don't know me. Just because I feel strongly about something doesn't make me psychotic and doesn't give you the right to call me that.
    Forum Member
    One of the things you have to remember was, at the time, the Eighth Doctor as seen on TV, as a character, was half-owned by Universal. Therefore approving his appearence in comics and books and audios was never an issue. However, there still may be a legal question mark over whether Universal could swoop in if McGann ever appears in anything "new" as a character they part-owned (most likely in the past now, but still)...

Look how complicated the Marvel universes have got in recent years.
    I pretty sure that the BBC owns all of the rights to the 8th Doctor. I think this was discussed by Big Finish. They don't however own the rights to the two companions, Grace Holloway and Chang Li. This is why Big Finish still can't use these companions in their audios.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Paul should be in the 50th.

Physically, he's perfect to reprise the role again and 8/10/11 sounds more exciting than just 10/11, doesn't it?
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Paul should be in the 50th.

Physically, he's perfect to reprise the role again and 8/10/11 sounds more exciting than just 10/11, doesn't it?
    The special is already in production. Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt have already been filming for several days.

If Paul isn't already under contract to appear, it's probably too late to slot him in now.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Wasn't Paul McGann Doctor #1 after the original 1963-89 series?

Of course, within the original series 1963-89, you had
    1 William Hartnell
    2 Peter Cushing
    3 Patrick Troughton
    4 John Pertwee
    5 Tom Baker
    6 Peter Davidson
    7 Colin Baker
    8 Sylvester McCoy
    :confused:

Cushing played
    Dr. Who not The Doctor
    Who was Human NOT a TimeLord

So Paul McGann is 8
    Tennant is 10. As for old and new canon. when he met Sarah Jane...(Tom Baker assistant). 'Mt Smoith' admits to other changes.
    Time War, seems to be mentioned as between McGann and Ecclestone. Did The Doctor just explore (the Victorian drawings of Ecclestone) and come back to 21stC England thinking he would not meet his former companions?
    Meeting Sarah Jane was maybe an experience he did not want with any surviving companions?

Yet, if their.should their be a pre 2005 companion in the 50th, Who would you want to see?
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cushing played
    Dr. Who not The Doctor

So Paul McGann is 8
    Tennant is 10. As for old and new canon. when he met Sarah Jane...(Tom Baker assistant). 'Mt Smoith' admits to other changes.
    Time War, seems to be mentioned as between McGann and Ecclestone. Did The Doctor just explore (the Victorian drawings of Ecclestone) and come back to 21stC England thinking he would not meet his former companions?
    Meeting Sarah Jane was maybe an experience he did not want with any surviving companions?

Yet, if their.should their be a pre 2005 companion in the 50th, Who would you want to see?

Romana, leela, Jamie, Ian, Peri and Ace
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I preferred Peter Cushing in the films (not movies).
    Forum Member

Cushing played
    Dr. Who not The Doctor

So Paul McGann is 8

Zoe is the one!
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peri, Ace , Nyssa , Tegan
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    Peri, Ace , Nyssa , Tegan

Too Eighties.

How about two of the above, plus two from the seventies and two from the sixties?
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too Eighties.

How about two of the above, plus two from the seventies and two from the sixties?

Because the 80's was my original decade for Who. Also I wasn't saying bring them all back just maybe 1 or 2
  • ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see Paul McGann back onscreen as The Doctor again. Yeah so the TV Movie wasn't the greatest piece of celluloid ever, but it gives us a great regeneration scene and some ace Doctorisms (where he surprises the cop by pointing the gun at himself etc). His continuous work with the Big Finish audios has really shaped that Doctor - I know many don't consider Big Finish as canon, but I think they should be for 8. Personal opinion only, of course :-) I don't really mind how it happens - spin-off/mini-series/film/meeting the current Doctor - its all good! McGann is a really good actor, and he can still fit the old or new suit, unlike some ;-)

In conclusion, someone make it happen somehow! Yay! :D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cushing played
    Dr. Who not The Doctor
    ?

In fairness, at the time of the film, we had no idea that the doctor was a time lord, this didn't emerge until The War Game. And The Doctor has actually often times been credited as Doctor Who in the shows end credits. As the show has evolved, so the film version of the Doctor has become less and less connected to established cannon.

I'd say it's more the fact that films were not made by the BBC, and that Cushing was presented more as an alternate version of the 1st Doctor, that means they were never part of established canon that means his Doctor doesn't "count" than anything.
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    In fairness, at the time of the film, we had no idea that the doctor was a time lord, this didn't emerge until The War Game. And The Doctor has actually often times been credited as Doctor Who in the shows end credits. As the show has evolved, so the film version of the Doctor has become less and less connected to established cannon.

I'd say it's more the fact that films were not made by the BBC, and that Cushing was presented more as an alternate version of the 1st Doctor, that means they were never part of established canon that means his Doctor doesn't "count" than anything.
    Whether they count for anything or are considered canon by some people, they were much better and more enjoyable than the "movie". They also included St Bernard of Cribbins!
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is suggested in a non canon work that the events n the movies pre date An Unearthly Child (for the Doctor).
    Lets assume that Cushing/Hartnell are One.
    Hiding himself and his Grandchildren from an enemy (Human Nature).
    Note that in film Granddaughter Barbera and in TV show teacher Barbera.

However my theory is she is a Time Lord called ????RA
    so BarbeRA is now ClaRA. A regenerated child of Gallifrey but as Human Nature does not know who she is. BUT the Tardis does (why it does not like her).

I claim £10 for solving the Clara mystery.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether they count for anything or are considered canon by some people, they were much better and more enjoyable than the "movie". They also included St Bernard of Cribbins!

well I do think they are enjoyable enough, I like Roy Castle's appearance as well, and I love the Dalek design in the 1st movie. Whether they are better than the McGann tv movie, I don't know. I think they both have their issues. I like Cushing well enough, but I do think McGann was pretty terrific in the tv movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry McGann feels the 8th Doctor is merely tolerated. Certainly on here he seems to be highly regarded, even if people find fault with the movie.

I didn't realise he felt that way. He was great in the film and his audio stories are excellent.

I would love to see him on screen again - I think the problem is that not that many people will actually know he played the Dr.

Casual and young viewers not into Dr Who in any serious way would have little connection to his version.

So I would say it is not about 'just being tolerated' more as not being in the viewers psyche like the other actors who have played the Dr on TV.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    I didn't realise he felt that way. He was great in the film and his audio stories are excellent.

I would love to see him on screen again - I think the problem is that not that many people will actually know he played the Dr.

Casual and young viewers not into Dr Who in any serious way would have little connection to his version.

So I would say it is not about 'just being tolerated' more as not being in the viewers psyche like the other actors who have played the Dr on TV.

Well, I only have the OP's word that McGann feels like that. :D

I don't think younger viewers would have much connection to any classic Doctor, except possibly Tom Baker. But every time the previous Doctors are referenced in the post 2005 series, McGann is there on the screen, so they are at least aware of his existence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Well, I only have the OP's word that McGann feels like that. :D

McGann was keen to stress that of the people who say that "as a percentage it's tiny" and he does call them "trolls".

He seemed so chuffed to be on a stamp, bless him. :)
    Forum Member
    One thing I forgot to mention in my little essay about why I want the 8th Doctor back is the fact that the DW producers actually tried to convince Christopher Eccleston to come back for the 50th. That's all well BUT it really makes me angry that they would go after someone who has voiced all along that he would have nothing to do with DW ever again but completely ignore Paul McGann who has stated over and over again that he WOULD LIKE TO COME BACK!
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Segee wrote: »
    One thing I forgot to mention in my little essay about why I want the 8th Doctor back is the fact that the DW producers actually tried to convince Christopher Eccleston to come back for the 50th. That's all well BUT it really makes me angry that they would go after someone who has voiced all along that he would have nothing to do with DW ever again but completely ignore Paul McGann who has stated over and over again that he WOULD LIKE TO COME BACK!

And so important that you had to cut and paste this post into another "I want the 8th dr back" thread.

We get it! You like Paul mcGann!